Status: This was previously titled Still Dreaming. It is now called Just Stay. Sorry for any confusion.

Just Stay

Chapter Three

The weeks following her return from London became increasingly busier. During the week she would be at work, the weekend she would spend with her friends or driving to see her family and then at night she would spend hours upon hours texting, emailing or Skyping Matt. Their chatting had eventually become somewhat of a routine that they both enjoyed. A lot of times he would be the last person she talked to before bed and being that there was a 5 hour time difference between New York and London, she often woke up to him also in the morning.

Slowly her friends began to find out about the mystery person she was always texting or messaging on her phone. While all were supportive to this new friendship she created while ‘across the pond’ it didn’t come with the lack of teasing from them as well. Matt had been nicknamed ‘British Boy’ by her closest friend Emilie, who brought him up daily while making some sort of love struck facial expression, though she had never actually talked to him.

“So movie night tonight?” Emilie, asked from beside her as they made their way to the subway breaking her from her thoughts. It was a Thursday night, well into February; 14 days to be exact and Talia found herself valentineless for yet another year. So true to form, Emilie came to the rescue once again.

“Aren’t you and Dave going out tonight?”

Emilie shook her head, “He’s working, so movies, pizza and junk food?”

Talia smiled batting her eye lashes, “You know the way to a woman’s heart.”

“So have you heard anything from British boy?”

Talia rolled her eyes, “Don’t I every night? And stop calling him British boy!”

“So sorry,” Emilie smirked. “Should I call him ‘Matty Boy’ instead?”

“Shut your lips!” She replied stepping from the subway with Emilie following close behind.

A vibration came from her jacket pocket; taking out her phone she saw a notification of a text message.

‘From- Matty Boy- You have a question to answer once you get home. You will know what I am talking about once you see it.’

‘To- Matty Boy- Okay Sherlock…that wasn’t cryptic at all.’

She waited for him to respond but it never came.

“I’m just saying, you guys talk every night and you spent every day together when you were over there. Let’s not fail to mention that from the photos you showed me, he is very attractive,” Emilie continued taking quick strides to keep up with Talia. “Come on, you must have noticed that he was attractive.”

Talia turned her head to the right glaring at her friend. “Didn’t I tell you to shut it? I believe I did.”

“So touchy, I think someone knows it’s true and is in serious denial.”

“I think someone is about to get white washed if they don’t stop.”

Emilie laughed following Talia into the apartment building.

“Talia,” Called the front security staff, Mike, as they made their way to the elevator.

“Yes?”

Mike brought a box into view holding it out to her. “This came for you today, I signed for it.”

“Oh,” She breathed surprised. “I wasn’t expecting anything but thank you so much, Mike.”

“Anytime, Ms. Jones,” He replied winking.

Looking at the sending address on the box she saw that it was from London, from an M. Smith and excitement began to swell in her.

“Do I have to make a comment about the fact that he sent you a package?”

Talia rolled her eyes walking to her apartment from the elevator. “I asked him to send me some English snacks I like while I was over there, I am sure that’s all this is.”

“Sure,” Emilie nodded but not completely convinced.

The friends made their way into the apartment taking their jackets, winter accessories and shoes off walking into the living room. Grabbing a pair of scissors on her way into the living room, Talia sliced the tape from the box. Opening the flaps that separated her from the contents on the inside she came across what appeared to be a London care package. Inside sat a couple of packages of Jammie Dodgers, random trinkets from London gift shops and she realized a lot of the ones that he had sent were ones she had debated getting while she was there shopping, a shirt that read ‘I [heart] British Boys’ and an envelope. With quick fingers she tore the edge of the colored envelope off and took the card out. It was a valentine’s card, the card itself was probably one of the tackiest things she had ever seen and it had Matt written all over it. Turning over the front cover she laughed at the photo that was placed on the inside, Matt with a Charlie Chaplin, the same kind that had scared her half to death during their trip. Underneath the overly cheesy words of the Hallmark Company she spotted his barely legible handwriting.

‘I hope this got to you in time. It isn’t fair that someone who deserves a great day, especially you, should not receive some pretty amazing gifts for Valentine’s Day. I hope this brightens up your day, smile because someone does care about you. –Matty Boy P.S. Text me after you read this.’

Talia smiled, her eyes tearing up just a little at his words and his gesture.

“What does it say?” Emilie asked from beside her. Shaking her head, Talia placed it back into the box as she took her cell phone out of her pocket.

“Don’t you have a pizza to order?”

‘To- Matty Boy- I got your mail. Thank you! :) You really surprised me, you even used my nickname for you!’

‘From- Matty Boy-So will you?’

‘To- Matty Boy- Will I what?’

‘From- Matty Boy- Did you fail to read the card? Look at the front, Tali. You Americans…honestly. ;)’

Talia took the card from the box flipping it over so the cover was staring up at her.

‘Will you be my valentine?’ How had she missed that?

“What? What is it? What is that smile for?” Emilie asked, her body moving closer to Talia trying to see what she was looking at. “He asked you to be his Valentine?” Talia nodded. “By a Hallmark card?” Again she nodded. “Oh how romantic, those Brits have it all.”

“Says the woman whose fiancée proposed by saying marry me while she was in the shower and he was on the toilet,” Talia stated rolling her eyes.

“He had a candle lit!”

“It wasn’t for the romance!” Talia countered taking out her phone and typing her response smiling when she received his.

‘From Matty Boy- I was hoping you would say that. Shall we Skype our supper then?’

‘To Matty Boy- I have Emilie over here right now. :/’

‘From Matty Boy- So? The more the merrier.’

‘To Matty Boy- You know she will call you British Boy, don’t you?’

‘From Matty Boy- Well that’s rubbish.’

‘To Matty Boy- I know.’

‘From Matty Boy- I’m a British MAN, not boy at all.’

Talia rolled her eyes shaking her head.

‘Matty Boy- Stop rolling your eyes it’s rude. I’m Skyping you in 30 so get your supper ready.’

‘To Matty Boy- Bossy.’

‘From Matty Boy- Shush.’

Talia turned to Emilie who raised a brow in response.

“Looks like you will finally get to talk to Matt. He will be Skyping in 30 minutes.”

*****

“Hello British Boy!” Emilie greeted loudly enjoying the blush of color on her friends cheeks and his.

“You must be Emilie, it’s a pleasure to finally put a face to a name,” He responded, manners intact.

“Oh, you have that British charm. I see why you spent so much time with him.”

“Emilie, shut it,” Talia shook her head, her attention turning to the man on the screen before her. “Hello Matty, thank you very much for the package. Although, I do wish you would have told me we were giving gifts.”

Matt shook his head. “No, I sent you gifts because I wanted to not because I wanted anything in return. I am glad you enjoyed everything. I hope those Jammie Dodgers last you a little bit.”

“Maybe till tomorrow night at the latest,” Talia shrugged.

“Are you going to be sharing with Emilie?”

“God no! Those are mine! Those are close to being a National English Treasure.”

Matt laughed; smile wide on his lips and eyes small. “You mean next to British men?”

“British Boys,’ Emilie corrected with a wink. “Okay all, as much as I would love to stay I must be going. Matt it was nice to finally chat with you, Talia I’ll see you tomorrow morning.”

Talia looked at her friend as she rose from her seat. “Wait, what? I thought we were having a movie night?”

Emilie shook her head. “Nah, enjoy your impromptu date.”

“It’s not a date,” She replied watching as Emilie put on her jacket, boots and gloves.

“Shut up and stop ignoring British Boy, I’ll see you tomorrow! Love you!” Emilie called closing the door behind her.

Looking back to the screen before her, she cocked an eyebrow.

“Did I scare her away with my devilish good looks?” Matt joked.

“No, I think it was your chin,” She stated laughing as his mouth dropped open. “I’m kidding and you know it. No, I think she is just being ridiculous.”

“Why is that?”

“Oh, you know, because she thinks there is more to our story than just being friends.”

“Really?”

“Yeah,” Talia nodded pushing a lock of hair that feel into her face out of the way. “She has all these ‘examples’ as to why it doesn’t make sense that we are ‘just friends’.”

Matt tilted his head, an amused smile tugging at his lips. “Are a man and woman not allowed to be 'just friends'?”

“I guess according to Emilie, no,” Talia shrugged. “So how was your final show?”

“It was good, now comes the process of auditions and working with my agent more to find work.”

“Well, if all else fails you can always travel to New York,” She joked. “You know, let me return the favor of showing you around.”

Matt smiled. “New York is the first place I plan to visit and when I do there better be some red carpet rolled out for me while you hold a sign and hand me a Starbucks coffee.”

Talia laughed. “Deal.” She agreed smiling at him. “Come soon though otherwise I may just have to go back across the pond.”

“It won’t be long. Trust me.”

“I’m holding you to that.”

“I expected nothing less.”

*****

Walking into the pub, Matt was met by a round of applause.

“Oh bugger off,” He said smirking taking the pint his friend was offering him.

“Sorry mate, we just haven’t seen you much so when you finally come out it’s a big deal,” Alex, his longest and closest friend stated clapping him on the back.

Matt nodded. “Yeah, sorry about that I’ve been busy.”

Alex smirked with an evil look in his eye.

“What?”

“I talked to Arthur last week,” He replied with a mock innocence.

“Okay…”

“He mentioned you met a girl, an American girl,” Alex continued, his smirk growing as the seconds passed.

Matt rolled his eyes moving past him towards a seat at a table.

“So it’s true then?” Alex questioned noticing the attitude change in his friend. “So who is she?”

“Well, she isn’t what you are thinking, she’s just a friend. Her name is Talia, she’s from New York and she was just visiting on holiday. She was by herself so I offered to take her around,” Matt shrugged.

“And when she left? What happened then?”

Matt groaned. “Bloody hell, did Arthur tell you everything because if so why are you asking me?”

Alex laughed. “I don’t know everything, trust me if I did I would be teasing you a lot more.”

“Oh sod off,” He laughed in reply taking in a quiet moment watching his mates play darts on the closest board, he could feel Alex’s eyes drilling into the side of his head. “What?” He asked turning his attention back to the man across from him.

“Can you finish the bloody story or are you just going to keep it from me?”

“Fine, yes, we still talk. Okay? Is that what you wanted to hear?” After a few moments of silence and an intense staring contest between the two friends.

Alex nodded. “Alright, shall we join in the darts game?”

“That’s it? Just ‘alright’? I know you I know you have more to say.”

“Nope,” Alex disagreed shaking his head. “I have nothing more to say. I’m happy you met a new friend and that you showed her around. Now let’s play darts.”

Matt eyed his friend, his eyes holding a different meaning behind his words than the words themselves. But for once he allowed the dropping of the subject and with a nod of his head the conversation and interrogation was over…for now.