Status: This was previously titled Still Dreaming. It is now called Just Stay. Sorry for any confusion.

Just Stay

Chapter Five

Fingers ran along the length of her spine, trailing ever so gently up and down, up and down. Another set of fingers picked up the limp, warm hand that lay beside her head on the chest below kissing each and every finger tip.

"I know you're awake," A pair of lips grazed her forehead causing a smile to spread across her lips, her eyes still closed. "Are you going to open your eyes so I can see those beautiful blue eyes?" Talia shook her head, smile still intact as she buried her head into his chest. "You kept your inner ears in last night I see." He laughed as she nodded with a giggle. "Why is that?"

Her head rose, her chin coming to rest on the middle of his rising and falling chest. The crystal blue orbs that he was always drawn to locked on his green waiting eyes. "I wanted to hear you completely when you woke me up in the morning."

He smiled releasing her hand allowing his thumb to caress her cheek. Leaning her head up just as he leaned down, their lips met in a tender good morning kiss, his arms wrapped around her holding her warm body to his.

“Are you sure you have to go into work today?” Matt asked her softly the pair lying on their sides facing each other. “I mean, wouldn’t it be better to spend the day watching movies and being completely lazy together than to go into the office?”

Talia laughed running her fingers through his hair, the soft tresses falling easily through her fingers.

“Oh I wish I could, but I need to finish this week and find coverage so I can take time off next week to spend with you before you go back to London,” Her fingers twirled his brown locks, her eyes still connected to his. “I still can’t believe you’re here.”

Matt chuckled. “I honestly didn’t think this would go as well as it has. I thought you would have sent me away or at least slammed the door in my face.”

“Should I do that now? I can easily walk you to the door and slam it in your face,” Talia winked laughing when his hands tickled her side. “Stop! Okay I won’t do that I swear.”

“You better not,” He replied pulling her tightly against him. “What time do you have to be in for?”

Lifting her head off of the pillow she glanced at the alarm clock on the night table behind him.

“In an hour so I should start getting up,” Talia stated but her body didn't move an inch in an action to remove herself from the comforting confines of his long and welcoming arms. Matt noticed that she wasn't tugging out if his arms to get ready and he was happy that she wasn't because he wasn't ready for her to leave his embrace just yet.

It took Talia ten minutes to unwrap his arms and step out of the bed and another two minutes to walk into the bathroom to shower and dress. The longest of all was the fifteen minutes it took to exit the apartment and not call in sick to spend the day with his company.

"And where were you last night?" Emilie's voice came from behind her as she walked towards the employee entrance of the hospital.

Smiling, Talia turned and waited for her friend. "I was at home like I said I would be."

"Right and yet you're smiling today," Emilie commented. "Wait, did he call you or something?"

Talia laughed swiping her badge to gain access to the door. "Or something."

Emilie looked at her friend confused. "Would you care to clear that up?"

"I would love to but," Talia looked at her phone. "Oh damn, I have a meeting in two minutes. I gotta go, talk to you later! Love you!"

It wasn't until around lunch time that Emilie came barging into Talia's office, a look of determination on her face.

"Okay, I am sick of waiting. Tell me right now," She said breathlessly.

"Well, good afternoon to you too, Emilie," Talia greeted nonchalantly, her eyes on the computer screen before her.

"Talia Brielle Jones, I swear to god if you do not tell me why you are acting different today I will-" Talia's office phone rang cutting Emilie off. "Oh for the love of all that is holy!"

Laughing, Talia picked up the receiver.

"Talia Jones...okay, I'll be right there," She said hanging up the phone turning to the bouncing legged friend beside her. "Stay here I'll be right back."

"I'm never going to find out what happened," Emilie pouted, Talia rolled her eyes walking to the reception area of the office area.

Walking closer into the reception area she spotted him right away. He stuck out like a sore thumb but in the best possible way.

"There she is," Carole, the elderly front receptionist said smiling. Matt looked in her direction, a giant smile on his face.

"Here I am," Talia laughed waving her hands around. "How are you Carole?"
"Fine just fine. You are obviously much better," Carole winked.

"I don't know about that. Jim is quite the looker," Talia smiled.

Carole laughed. "I'll let him know you said that I'm sure he'll be flattered."

"Fabulous! Shall I sign my visitor in?" Taking the visitor log, she quickly signed Matt in before saying goodbye to Carole. "Surprise, surprise Matty Boy, got bored at the apartment?"

"Kind of, but I also got us lunch," Matt stated holding up a white paper take out bag.

"Oh that definitely beats the salad bar in the cafeteria, thank you," She said hugging him around his waist with a smile. "You're the best."

"Yeah, I try," Matt joked kissing her forehead.

"Oh, heads up, Emilie is in the office anxiously awaiting the information behind my smile today," Talia informed him as they walked in the direction of her office.

"Oh I can't wait. I just hope she gets my nickname correct this time."

"Yes because it's important to remember that you are no longer a boy. Although, you do act like one sometimes."

"I do not!"

"Yes, you do. Like how you pout when I beat you at darts or when I change your channel to a 'chick show'."

Matt shrugged. "I don't like chick shows."

"Yet you watch Gossip Girl?"

"My sister got me into it!"

"Sure. Stay here I'll get you in a moment," Talia laughed opening the door to her office. "Emilie."

"Okay, enough of this beating around the bush! Stop playing games! Did he call you or not?" Emilie questioned standing in front of Talia.

"Or not," Talia responded earning a huffed groan in reply as Emilie slumped back into a chair. "I'm serious when I say 'or not'," Taking a step backwards she held her right hand out for Matt's who quickly placed his in hers before taking a step to stand beside her. "He didn't call, he showed up."

Emilie's eyes bulged wide. "Holy shit!" Laughter erupted amongst the pair in the doorway. "Sorry, sorry. I just didn't expect this," Emilie stood crossing the room. "You're a lot taller than I imagined."

"Ow!"

"Emilie!" Talia said shocked shoving her friend before rubbing Matt's shoulder. "What did you hit him for?!"

"For being an ass," Emilie shrugged.

Talia rolled her eyes. "Yes, well, I have forgiven him so that really wasn't necessary."

Emilie's fell to their entwined hands. "So what does this mean? I mean for you two? Are you guys together or...."

Talia and Matt eyed each other nodding simultaneously.

"Well, it's about friggin time! Took you long enough, British Boy," Emilie said.

"Hey!"

"Oh boy, here we go," Talia laughed taking the bag holding their lunch from Matt as she made her way to her desk.

"I'm going to let you both enjoy your lunch. I'll see you later," Emilie giggled walking past Matt patting him on the back.

"She's quite an interesting character," Matt said taking a seat next to Talia as she arranged their food on her desk.

"Quite," She nodded in agreement. "But she is always there when you need her."

Matt smiled. "I'm glad you have a friend like her."

"Hmmm me too."

A comfortable silence fell over the couple as they ate, every so often they would share a loving glance or caress one a others hand.

"So we're doing this then?" He asked her. "Sorry, this is a horrible discussion to bring up on your lunch break but I had to ask."

Talia wiped her hands and mouth turning her attention to him. "Yes. I mean I know I have feelings for you and you say you have feelings for me, correct?" He nodded. "So what else is there? Continue being just friends and ignore the feelings? I think after us kissing that option is out the window."

Matt nodded again. "Are you going to be okay with the distance?"

"Are you? It's not just me in this relationship."

"We'll make it work. We will figure something out," He said, Talia nodded. "But if it ever becomes too much..."

"We tell each other." Matt nodded. "But to make things clear we are doing this, we are committing to be in this relationship and seeing each other exclusively?"

"Yes, exclusively."

"Okay then," Talia agreed smiling when Matt leaned closer to kiss her lips as a knock sounded at her office door.

A brunette man opened the door. "Oh, I'm sorry I wasn't aware you had an appointment."

"It's not an appointment, I am on lunch," Talia stated. "Nick this is Matt Smith, my boyfriend," Matt smiled wide. "Matt this is Nick Hems; he's a Case Manager for a lot of the families here."

"Nice to meet you," Matt said shaking the man’s hand.

"Likewise," Nick nodded. "Uh we have an afternoon meeting in 10 minutes I was sent to remind you."

"Got it, I'll be there. Thanks Nick."

Turning her attention back to the man beside her, she noticed he was still smiling.

"What?" She chuckled. "What is that smile for?"

"You called me your boyfriend," Matt replied his smile still firmly in place.

"Well you aren't you? Haven't we just discussed this? You British men and your short memory span," She commented patting his head.

"Oi, shut it."

"Oh I LOVE when you 'oi' me," She laughed kissing his cheek. "It's so British of you."

"Is this pick on the boyfriend day or something?"

"No," She shook her head. "It's pick on the British Boyfriend Day."

Matt pouted. "I don't like you anymore."

Talia laughed. "No, you don't," She leaned in placing a brief but firm kiss to his lips. "I have to get back to work. I'll be back home by 5 pm the latest then you have me all night."

"I can't wait," He stood hugging her to him for a brief moment.

"Behave yourself and please don't get lost on your way back to the apartment," Talia told him walking him back to the reception area.

"I won't, I got here okay, didn't I?"

Talia looked at him knowingly. "GPS in your phone?"

"Obviously it's not like I know New York," He stated chuckling.

"Ah well, either way. Thank you for lunch and for bringing it to me. I'll see you when I get home," She told him hugging him and placing a kiss to his cheek.

"Okay, have a good rest of your day. Bye Tali."

*****

"Talia Jones, my little baby, has a boyfriend," Emilie said later that day as the made their way to the subway.

"Ugh, shut up."

"It's cute! I can't help it. He's tall, handsome and that accent," Emilie swooned. "Care to switch?"

"Uh, yeah, sure."

"Really?" Emilie questioned, eyes wide.

"No," Talia shook her head. "Never."

"What are your plans tonight?"

"I don't know, probably just dinner and having a movie night inside."

Emilie smirked. "Maybe some sex." She said wagging her eyebrows.

"Is that all you think about?"

"Doesn't everyone?" She shrugged.

"No, some people have other things, more important things on their minds."

"Don't pretend that you don't want to jump his bones," Emilie looked at her knowingly. "Don't worry; he wants to jump yours too. It's obvious."

Walking from the subway Talia shook her head with a chuckle. "How are we friends again?"

"I am your dirtier half obviously," Emilie laughed hugging Talia to her.

"Obviously, I'll see you tomorrow. Get home safe."

"Will do. Enjoy your night in," Emilie smirked with a wink. "Tell British 'Man' I said 'be nice and gentle'."

"I will not!" Talia pushed Emilie away walking in the direction of her apartment. "Goodbye, Emilie!"

"Goodbye, Talia!" Emilie called laughing.

A vibration came from the inside of her jacket pocket as she made her way onto the elevator of her apartment building.

'From- Matty Boy- I swear I have not burned down your apartment.'

"That's reassuring," She said to herself as she stepped from the elevator and made her way to her apartment. The smell of food greeted her at the door.

"Honey, I'm home!" She called before walking into the kitchen where Matt was working furiously at the stove. "You made dinner?"

Talia stood behind him, hands at his hips as she peaked around him at what he was making.

"Are you part Asian? Where did you learn to cook Chinese?" She asked taking in the look on his face as she looked around at the lack of dirty dishes and chopped up ingredients. "Or where did you hide the containers?"

"I beg your pardon? I am cooking you a delicious meal and you are making comments?"

Talia opened the lid to the trash bin where Chinese take out containers came spilling out along with the remnants of burnt food.

"So you made this Chinese food then?" She asked raising a brow. Matt smiled a shy and embarrassed smile back at her.

"I did make dinner for us, but I burnt it so I ordered out," He confessed. "I wanted to have this nice romantic dinner followed by movies and snacks and I ruined it."

Talia looked at him with a look of understanding. "Matty, this is great. It's the thought that matters and I love this, all of this," She wrapped her arms around his waist leaning up kissing his lips. "Thank you."

Matt's arms wrapped around her holding her tightly to him bringing his mouth to hers again. Her mouth opened under his allowing his tongue to brush against hers. Talia couldn't help but think how comfortable and natural it was to be with him. Nothing felt awkward or weird or forced, it was almost as if this is how it was meant to be with them. As friends they meshed well and understood each other, but as a couple it was as if two halves had come together to form a whole. Two halves that would have been lost left incomplete if they hadn't met at that bookshop and it's something she hated to think about.