My Heroine

Chapter 12

Harry clicked on the e-mail that his secretary had sent him after being woken up by her calling very early Tuesday morning. It had just been 2 days since they had returned from a relaxing weekend at Highgrove. The weekend had successfully helped him forget about everything with William and by the time he had stepped foot again in Kensington, his stress was no longer there. But now, as his eyes read the articles, looked at the pictures that Mary had sent him, he could feel the stress returning.

There it was, everything he was hoping would remain unknown for a little bit longer; her name, date of birth, childhood photos, pictures from Secondary school and finally, pictures of them 10 years younger, all displayed neatly and correctly in the article. He was honestly surprised they found out so quick about the time they dated before as teens, but as he looked over the photos that they had posted of them he couldn’t help but smile at how much they had changed in so many ways. Harry jumped as he heard his phone ringing from beside him on the couch. Looking at the screen to who was calling, he was confused to see that it was his cousin.

“Bea? Everything okay?” He answered standing up from where he sat as he moved into the kitchen to take the tea kettle off of the stove.

“Harry how could you not tell me!” He was about to ask what she was referring to when she continued. “You’re with Lia again! You KNOW how much I love her.”

Walking back into the living room, rolling his eyes at the dramatic sigh his cousin just unleashed over the phone. Lia, who had been sleeping when he had gotten the phone call from Mary, was not occupying his previous spot. He saw that she was scrolling through the same article he had been moments before.

“My apologies Beatrice, next time something happens in my life I’ll be sure to inform you first.” Harry replied sarcastically watching Lia look up at him with a raised brow.

“Stop it.” Lia said to him softly as his body came to rest next to her.

“Who was that? Was that her? Give her the phone!” Pulling the phone away from his ear just in time as his cousins voice increased in pitch and volume. Gratefully, Harry handed the phone to his wide-eyed, smirking girlfriend next to him.

“Hello Bea. How are you, darling?” Harry shook his head; he could faintly hear his cousin start her fast, excited talking. “Yes…yes…right…oh wow…yes, of course….I’d love to….you to….I will right now…ta love.”

Pressing the end call button, she placed the phone onto the table next to the lap top that already took up space. Harry waited for her to speak first.

“So they know who I am. That didn’t take very long did it?” She picked up his tea bringing it to her lips as she took a sip, relaxing back into the couch as she did.

“Are you okay? How are you feeling about all of this?” Harry asked sitting further back onto the couch pulling her legs onto his lap as he did so. He began massaging her bare feet as he watched her shrugged.

“I’m alright. I knew it would come out sooner or later, but I guess part of me wished it would have been later. I mean we just told our parents last week.” Lia noticed the look in Harry’s eyes. Sitting up she moved to sit on his lap. “Stop that.”

“Stop what?”

“I can see it in your eyes Harry; you forget that I can read you very well. You’re blaming yourself, you’re feeling guilty and I won’t have that.” She said holding his face between her hands. “I love you, and you are worth all of this and more.”

“You say that now, this is just the beginning of it all. I-“Lia placed her hand over his mouth, a small smile tugged at her lips.

“Stop. Harry, I’ve known you for a long time or have you forgotten that? I am not new to any of this, so if you think this will change my mind about being with you, you have another thing coming. You are stuck with me until you call it quits.” Harry shook his head.

“I told you, you’re it for me.” Lia’s smile widened at his words.

“Well then, looks like you are just going to have to get over your guilt because I am not going anywhere.” Harry leaned his head to hers, their lips almost touching when her phone rang. “Except to go answer that.”

Quickly, Lia pressed her lips against his as she got up, running to where her mobile was in his bedroom. Looking at the screen she ‘swiped’ the bar to answer the call.

“Hello Gran. How are you?” Turning, Lia walked out into the living room regaining her spot on Harry’s lap.

“I am fine Angelia, thank you. I’ve missed your company at tea the past few weeks.”

“I have been a bit neglectful of our tea plans, I’m sorry Gran.” Harry gave Lia a loving squeeze as she talked to his grandmother.

“Angelia, there’s no reason to apologize. Harry came home and you were making up for lost time. I am calling however, to invited both of you to tea on Friday. I hope you both can make it.” Gran replied dismissing her guilt, much like Lia had with Harry’s

Lia saw Harry nod and she knew he was agreeing to his grandmother’s invite.

“Yes Gran, we can make it. We shall be there for 11.”

“I’ll see you both then.” Saying ‘goodbye’, Lia hung up leaning back into the handsome, ginger haired male she sat on.

“I’m happy you and my Granny get on so well.” He said softly against her shoulder.

“I am too. She’s a great woman. So what are the plans for the day?”

“I have to go to the office for a bit since everything is out now, but you can either stay here or go home. It’s your decision love.”

“I should go home for a while. I don’t think I’ve left this apartment since we got back.” She eyed him knowingly. Harry tried for a look of innocence while fighting off a cheeky grin.

“I don’t apologize for anything. I love having you here; falling asleep with you, waking up to you, coming home to you….just being around you.” She loved he would talk like this, open and honest. He would always get this far off, dream like look in his eyes and sometimes she wondered if he knew he was talking out loud at all. It was something she has come to love about him, one of his many quirks no one ever got to see or if they did, they probably didn’t even notice.

“Why don’t you come over after you’re done working? I can make us dinner and make those cookies you like.” Lia ran her fingers through his hair; her nails massaged his scalp causing his eyes to close out of pure bliss.

“If you promise me more of this, I’ll make sure to work very quickly.” He joked wincing as she tugged his hair gently.

*****

As the car pulled up to the curb in front of her building, she spotted them right away. There were at least 6 paparazzi standing vigil outside, she knew what they were waiting on. Seconds later she saw one of them look at the car that pulled up and immediately starting snapping pictures. Putting her head down, she grabbed her things from beside her.

“Are you going to be okay Ma’am?” The driver asked look at her before glaring at the people who were continuously snapping her picture.

“Yes, I’ll be fine. Thank you very much, Richard. Have a good day.” Taking a deep breath, she opened her door. Lia attempted to remember everything Harry had told her before she left; head down, don’t answer anyone and walk straight in.

“Angelia, how are you?”

“Angelia, how’s the Prince?”

“Angelia, give us a smile!”

Staying silent, Lia walked right into her building releasing a shaky breath as she unlocked the security door. Once inside her flat she heard the unmistakable sound of Harry’s ringtone coming from her purse.

“Hello love.” His voice said over the line, not waiting for her greeting.

“Hello to you, I just got in. Don’t tell me you’re missing me already.” She teased walking into her room, placing her bags down onto the bed.

“Always Lia, always. How is it over there?”

Lia bit her lip knowing that he wanted to know if the paparazzi’s had found her place yet. She knew this was a check-up call because he was worried for her safety and well-being. Harry never and would never doubt her strength, but his protective side couldn’t help making sure regardless.

“They were here already, waiting. I did what you told me and kept my head down, didn’t answer anyone and walked right into my building.” She heard him sigh on the other end. “Harry, it’s fine. I’m safe, so please calm down and get some work done.”

Reluctantly, Harry agreed with her dropping the subject after stating that after a few days they usually gave up unless they knew he was there. However, as the days passed the paparazzi was still in full force outside her building. On Friday morning as they were leaving both dressed in tea appropriate attire, she noticed that the number of them had multiplied.

“Did you notice that the number of them doubled or was it just me?” She asked once the car began its journey to Buckingham.

“I did. I think it’s because I’ve been there a lot.” He responded his hand brought hers to his lips, kissing the back of it. “Let’s not think about that right now.”

Agreeing, Lia turned her head to gaze out the window, feeling a squeeze on her hand, bringing her attention back to Harry.

“I love you.” He said his upper body moving across the middle of the back seat, his right hand coming to rest on the back of her neck bringing her lips to his.

“I love you to.” She replied once their lips had separated.

The car came to a stop right outside the door she was now used to entering. Looking at the door, she smiled waving at Martin who stood waiting for them. Harry held his hand out to help Lia from the car only releasing it to take off their coats after walking through the open doorway.

“Your Royal Highness, Miss Williams.” Martin greeted bowing to Harry and smiling at Lia.

“Hello Martin. How are you?” Harry asked as they began walking through the Palace.

“Very well sir, thank you. Her Majesty is in her office waiting for you.” Martin informed the couple as they walked to the door, knocking he entered before the couple. With one last squeeze to her hand accompanied by a smile, Harry released it. “Your Majesty, I present to you your grandson His Royal Highness Prince Harry and Miss Williams.”

Lia followed Harry into the room, smiling one last time at Martin as he closed the door. She smiled as she watched Harry greet his significantly shorter grandmother; the degree of bend in his knees had to go to kiss her cheeks was humorous to her.

“Angelia, you look wonderful.” Gran said as Lia moved to greet her.

“Thank you Gran.” It was then that she noticed the expression on her face. “Gran?”

“Angelia, Harry let’s go sit down.” Gran walked over to the couches holding her left arm out to her side inviting them to sit beside her. Lia sat between Harry and Gran; she was unable to look away from the white haired woman next to her as Harry poured the tea. Lia knew that look on her face, something happened, something not good and Gran was worried.

“Angelia, before I tell you want’s going on I want to make it clear that I was just informed this morning about everything. I have already asked my secretary to start calling the proper authorities.” Gran looked at the young woman who sat next to her, confused and worried. Reaching her hand out, Elizabeth placed it on the woman’s.

“Gran, what’s happened?” Harry’s hand moved to her lower back as he slide closer to her. He didn’t have any idea what was going on, but he could tell that his grandmother was very upset.

“I’m sorry Angelia, but it seems the press has found out about the incident with your ex-fiancee. They have also gotten a hold of the picture the police had taken while you were at the hospital. They are planning to release them tomorrow.” Lia felt tears well in her eyes as she stood up, forgetting about manners or protocol while sitting with Gran. She walked just a bit away from the couch with her hand on her forehead.

How could they have gotten a hold of those? How did they find out? How much did they actually know? Flashes came to Lia’s mind of how she looked after he had abused her. Lia had been able to see those pictures shortly after being released from the hospital; she knew how bad she looked. Her face swollen, bloodied, bruised it was so bad that she couldn’t even recognize herself in those photos, photos that she didn’t want anyone to see, especially Harry.

As her mind went over everything and memories came flooding back to her she felt her breathing become shallow, she felt dizzy and light headed. She was barely aware of Harry standing in front of her calling her name while Gran stood just a bit behind him.

“Oh my god.” She whispered as everything around her went black