The Tale of Athol

Tirdas, 17th of Last Seed

"So you’re finally awake…" a vaguely familiar voice calls out as my eyes slowly grow accustomed to the light. How long was I out? I wonder as I look around, still a little tired. Moving wagons aren’t a good place to sleep.
"You were trying to cross the border, right?" It was the rebel I had given some of my supplies to. I nod in response to his question. Helping him might not have been a good idea, but how was I supposed to know that giving people some bread and mead would get me arrested.
"They picked you and that horse thief up during the ambush…damn Imperials…” The last part was more to himself than anyone else. I glance toward the scruffy looking man next to the rebel soldier.
"Damn Stormcloaks! The Empire was nice and lazy before you showed up. I could’ve been half way to Hammerfell by now if it hadn’t been for that ambush,” the horse thief looks at me desperately, “You and me, we aren’t supposed to be here!” I don’t know how to respond, so I just look at the floor of the wagon and notice a fourth pair of feet. I follow them up to the gagged man sitting next to me.
"What’s his problem?" The horse thief asks, looking at the fourth man. He’s probably as confused as I am.
"Watch your tongue horse thief! That’s Ulfrick Stormcloak, the true High King of Skyrim.” I feel nausea set in and struggle to keep down my food from last night. I must look as panicked as the horse thief.
I’m not ready to die! Not like this! In battle like my Pa, or old age…I don’t want to be executed for crimes I never committed! I don’t know if the rebels are right or wrong at this point, but either way I shouldn’t be killed with all of them. Maybe there’s some way for me to get out of this.
"Ulfrick Stormcloak?! They, they captured you?! Gods, where are they taking us?"
"I don’t know, but Sovngarde awaits."
"Shut up back there!" The Legionnaire driving the card yells over his shoulder at us. Finally I look in that direction and see that we’re the last in a large group of carts filled with Stormcloak soldiers. The horse thief and I look like the only non-rebels to have been caught up in the ambush. Maybe they’ll let us go.
After a bit of silence the Stormcloak looks at the scruffy man next to him. “Where are you from horse thief?”
"Why should it matter? I’m just going to die!"
"A Nord’s last thoughts should be of home." He tries to give his best of what could be a comforting expression, but all I can see is a sad smile. What he says is true…but none of us here wanted to die like this.
"Rorikstead, I’m from Rorikstead."
He turns his gaze to me, “and you?”
"Morthal…" My voice trails off as I think of Ma and Grandda. I’m all either of them has left. It was ten days ago I sent Ma a letter saying I’d be returning home. She’s expecting me to be home soon I’m sure. After being away from home for so many years…and now they aren’t even going to see me.
"General Tulius, we’ve arrived!" A voice cries out in the distance.
"Where are we?" The horse thief asks, looking up at the walls.
With Ulfrick Stormcloak here I expected Solitude, but these aren’t the walls of any hold’s capital.
"End of the line…Helgen." The Stormcloak looks around wistfully, but his face scrunches in hate as we pass the man who must be General Tullius. He spits in disgust, "General Tullius, the military govenor. And it looks like the Thalmor are with him. Damn elves.” He snorts and looks away from them as we pass farther by.
"You have ties to Helgen?" I ask him, trying to clear the air.
"I used to be sweet on a girl from here…" He looks around, almost like he expects to see her. "I wonder if Velod is still making that mead with juniper berries…" He sighs as we stop.
The horse thief begins praying as we’re told to exit the carriage and wait for our names to be called. “Talos preserve me…” I mumble to myself.
"Ulfrick Stormcloak, Jarl of Windhelm," a member of the Legion calls out from the list in his hands. The Jarl goes forward as the rebel by me mutters about the Empire and it’s "damn lists." I feel my nerves setting in again and have to fight my stomach again.
"Ralof of Riverwood," the rebel steps forward and goes toward the block. At least I know the name of the man I helped now.
Another name is called, “Lokir of Rorikstead.” I look to the horse thief and he’s white as the snow.
"No, you don’t understand, I’m not a rebel!" He takes a step back, and the commander by the soldier reading names steps toward Lokir. Intent on taking him to the block herself.
"You’re not going to execute me!" He takes off running. She yells for the archers and they shoot him down, killing him with one shot.
"You," the Legionnaire looks at me and I step forward, "who are you?"
I take a shaky breath, praying this will be my way of getting be to Hjaalmarch alive. “I am Athol of Morthal.”
He looks back down at his list, confused, and then back to his commander. “He’s not on the list.” I sigh in relief as hope comes rushing back.
"Never mind that! He goes to the block with the rest of them." The commander waves him off and goes to talk to the headsman. I have no hope of getting back home.
"Sorry brother…we’ll make sure your remains are returned to Hjaalmarch." The Legionnaire looks at me sympathetically as he says this. I follow the remainders of the Stormcloaks from the other carriage groups just as General Tullius finishes speaking to Ulfrick.
"…You’ve committed crimes against Skyrim and the Empire, and now you’ll pay for your treason." The gagged Jarl grunts in response and glares at the General. If looks could kill the man would be dead like High King Torygg right now.
General Tullius sighs and tells everyone to just get it started. A priestess begins her blessing, “commending our souls to Aetherius.” I’m not much for flowerly speech…and everyone here is a Nord anyway. Can’t she just say she hopes we go to Sovngarde?
A Stormcloak steps forward to the block. “Oh for the love of Talos just shut up and lets get this over with! None of us have all morning!” The Priestess looks at him, obviously offended, but she doesn’t protest. He’s pushed down to the block and Ralof comments on his comrade’s bravery as the headsman’s axe falls on the man’s neck.
A few soldiers drag off the body and the commander that ordered my execution surveys the group, probably trying to figure out who’s next for the chopping block. Then a sound…from the sky? We all look in it’s direction. I’ve never heard anything like it, but the closest I can think of is an angry Argonian. But even that is far off from what I’ve heard.
"What was that?" General Tullius looks at the woman commander.
"It was probably nothing." She points toward me, "Next, the Nord in the rags!" I swallow hard and prepare to step forward. There it is again. We look in the other direction now. The sound chills my bones this second time. It’s menacing, whatever it is.
I hear a thought being cleared, “I said, next prisoner!”
Summoning all the courage I have left within me I step to the block. Memories of home come flooding back as I’m forced down to the block. I close my eyes tight and visions of nights at Grandma and Grandda’s spent in front of the fire and hearing stories of all the Athols before me, playing just outside of the marshes with my friends, Ma reading me stories, training under Grandda’s watchful eyes, all of these play through my mind as I prepare for Shor’s welcome.
"What in Oblivion is that?!” My eyes shoot open when I hear General Tullius yelling this. A dragon. The black lizard flies through the sky and lands on the tower just in front of the block, shaking everything around me. It utters some strange words in a loud, booming voice and then some force shoots from it and knocks me over as I try to get up. I see a few soldiers and rebels go flying as I struggle to right myself. I hear General Tullius bark orders at his men and usher the townspeople to safety.
"Now’s our chance, we’ve got to get out of here!" Ralof says as he pulls me up and begins running to a different tower. I chase after him, running faster than I ever have before. I trip and catch myself on the stairs as I make it into the tower, just barely avoiding the flames coming from the dragon’s mouth.
"Jarl Ulfrick, was that really a dragon?" I hear Ralof and the Jarl begin to have an exchange about this as another rebel starts running up the stairs past me.
"We’ve got to get out of here! Everyone, come on!" I follow him, hoping he knows where to go. I hear a few people behind me, probably Ralof and Jarl Ulfrick.
The wall crumbles and debris goes flying, crushing the man in front of me as the dragon tries to stick it’s head into the tower. I slam myself against the wall and crouch as fire shoots through hole and the dragon disappears. Swallowing hard, and seeing a chance to get somewhere I can escape Helgen from, I jump through the hole and land hard in the remains of a burning house. The landing hurts my feet and I almost fall again without my hands to steady me. I begin running again, jumping onto the ground floor of the house from the platform made when the dragon crushed half the building. I keep running, bumping into the Legionnaire who called the names for my group. He’s helping another soldier and a boy.
"You’re still alive? That’s good, stick with me if you want to stay that way. Come on!" He motions for me to follow him and I run after, hearing the other man call him "Hadvar."
We run along the city wall, barely avoiding the dragon a few times. All around us more Legionnaires are attacking the dragon, trying to knock it from the sky. I nearly bump into Hadvar as he stops in front of me. “Ralof you damn traitor, out of my way!”
"You can’t stop us this time Hadvar! We’re getting out of Helgen."
"Fine, you live this time." Hadvar spits out the venomous words and then they both look at me.
"We’ve got to make it into the Keep!" They both yell at me and then run off in different directions. I swallow hard, and in a split second decision, I follow Hadvar into the Keep. I don’t know why, my gut just tells me to follow him.
Hadvar sighs in relief. “We made it! Now, let me get those bindings off.” He takes a few steps closer to me and frees my hands. I rub my wrists to get the blood flowing again.
"There’s probably some gear you can use in one of these chests." Hadvar says as he looks through one of them. I do the same with another and pull out a set of Imperial armor. I put it on and then pull on the boots that were underneath it. It’s better than nothing, but I feel strange wearing the armor of the Legion.
"Here ya go." Hadvar tosses me some braces and I put them on as he pulls a sword off the wall. "You any good with one of these?"
"Better with a great sword or a battleaxe, but it’ll do." I say as I take it. I hope he doesn’t mean to take on the dragon with this thing.
"Good." He nods and opens the door, telling me to follow him through the Keep. I do, only for us to come across Stormcloaks hiding out in the other room. They draw their weapons before Hadvar can try talking to them and he raises his shield to block one of their swords. I kick the other in the knee to knock off his balance and plunge the sword into his chest as Hadvar finishes off the one attacking him.
"There’s your battleaxe." He motions toward my dead attacker’s dropped weapon. I drop the sword and pick up the axe, gripping it tight in my hands and giving it a test swing. It feels more familiar in my hands than the sword. I put the weapon on the straps fitted to the back of the uniform and continue on with Hadvar through the Keep, picking up supplies as we go. Unfortunately, we must fight more Stormcloaks as we go, but we get through them easily enough by working together. I manage to get an amulet of Talos off one of them and stuff it into the Legion uniform. If nothing else its something nice to have. There’s more rumbling just as I stuff the amulet into the cuirass and the roof above the hallway before us crumbles, blocking the path with debris.
"What do we do now?" I look at Hadvar to see him backtracking a bit.
"Let’s try this way." Hadvar points toward a crumbled portion of the wall, covered in mold, that seems to lead to a cave. I pull the axe off my back again, gripping it tightly, and go through the hole in the wall. It’s our best shot now.
We continue making our way, silently praying to the gods that we’ll escape. There’s a small group of Frostbite Spiders hiding out in the cave, but we make short work of them.
“Now what’s next? Giant snakes?” I can tell he’s joking, but I just silently continue on. I hate those things, too many eyes and legs. The damn bugs.
We make our way farther into the cave, following a stream that we find. If there’s a way out, we’ll find it now. I stare at the shallow water flowing over the rocks as I follow the path, only to be pulled behind a rock by Hadvar.
"What-"
“Shhh!” He interrupts me and holds a finger over his lips. “There’s a bear over there.”
I look around the rock, and there she is. The bear looks sleepy, so I grab the bow I took off another Stormcloak and slowly creep past the rock. I make it half way past the bear and step on something that cracks under my foot, drawing her attention.
"Shit!" Hadvar fires a shot into the bear as I ready my bow. I loose an arrow into the bear, taking her down while she’s focused on Hadvar.
"Let’s try to get out of here without doing that again." He says as he goes back to following the stream. I go back to following him and we walk in silence for a few minutes. I’m sure he wants to get out of here just as badly as I want to.
"Snow!" I run toward the thin layer of white, seeing it grow thicker in front of me. And light. I see a crack in the rock wall just big enough for us to get out one at the time. "It’s this way!"
I squeeze through the crack and take a deep breath of the crisp Skyrim air. Hadvar walks past me and smiles, probably doing the same as me. There’s that sound again! We crouch behind a rock and watch the dragon fly toward the north. Thank the Divines it didn’t notice us. I let out the breath I didn’t know I was holding as I stand back up.
Hadvar starts down the path. “We can get to Riverwood from here, pick up some fresh supplies.” I nod and follow him. I’ve been doing this a lot today. He continues speaking as I match his stride, walking next to him. “My uncle’s the blacksmith in town, he’ll be able to help us.”
After everything we’ve been through, I feel some kind of kinship with Hadvar. I guess surviving a dragon attack will do that. And even though I don’t want to do this again…if there’s one dragon there have to be more.
"Was the really a dragon though? Bringing the end times?" Hadvar asks absently. I think he’s just trying to break the silence.
"Couldn’t be anything else…" I stop and look up at a mountain in the distance. A huge ruin sits on top of it. How big must it be if I can see it from here?
"That ruin up there’s Bleak Falls Barrow. Used to have nightmares about it when I was a boy, Draugr coming down the mountain and sneaking in my window. That kind of thing." We start walking again, after all we won’t get to Riverwood any other way. Hadvar keeps talking as we keep going, "I’ve got to admit, I still don’t much like the look of the place."
I glance back over my shoulder at the huge ruin. “Could be interesting…”
Hadvar chuckles, but I can tell he feels…uneasy about what I’ve said. Probably not every day you hear someone say that though. We continue walking down the path, finding three standing stones. Never actually been this close to one, but I heard there’s one in the marshes somewhere.
"Which are these?"
"The Guardian Stones. Why don’t you take a look." I go closer to the stones, standing in the middle of the stones. I place my hand the stone with a warrior carved into it. The stone lights up and I jump back as the light shoots up into the sky and a strange cool feeling rushes from my palm to my whole body.
"Warrior, huh? I knew you weren’t supposed to be on that wagon the minute I saw you.
I look at my hand and watch a blue light fade from it slowly, then at Hadvar. I can only imagine how confused I look.
He laughs, “They’re supposed to do that. Now let’s go, we’re almost there.” He begins jogging down the path and I hurry to catch up with him. We jog down the path, speeding up as we see the entrance to the town.
"Uncle Alvor!" Hadvar slowed to a stop in front of the blacksmith shop.
"Hadvar! Are you on leave from the Legion?" He smiled and put down his tools, but his smile faded as he got closer to us. "You look like you got into an argument with a cave bear and lost. And who’s this?" We probably do look like we’ve been to Oblivion an back.
"He’s a friend, I probably wouldn’t be here without him. Can we come in? I need to talk to you." What? All I did was follow him around and almost get him killed by a bear. Hadvar would be fine without me.
Alvor nodded and we followed him into his house. As soon as we got into the house Alvor called for his wife, Sigrid, and his daughter bombarded us with questions.
"Dorthe, don’t bother your cousin! Go play outside." Sigrid said as she came up from the cellar, and then turned her attention to us. "You two look starved, I’ll make you some food." I have to admit, I am hungry.
"You two sit, and tell me what it is you need to tell me." Alvor said, propping his arm on the table and leaning on it. We both sat and Hadvar told him what had happened that day, but he made me sound better than I had to have been. As the story of the day unfolded Alvor’s expression turned more and more grim.
"If what you’re saying is true, and a dragon attacked Helgen, the Jarl needs to know.One of you needs to go tell him."
"I’ll go." I look at Hadvar and stand up. He should get back to the Legion, what’s a few more nights away from Morthal if I can help the people of Riverwood?
"Thank you." Alvor smiles, grabs a pack, and starts filling it with supplies. "It’s not much, but I’ll help you in any way I can."
"Oh, you don’t have-"
"Nonsense! I’m sure you could use the supplies." The blacksmith says as he hands me the pack. "Now, I’ve got to get back to work, but you can stay here if you need to."
"Thank you Alvor," I smile and attach the small pack to my belt. "I’ll head out to Whiterun. Don’t want to waste daylight."
He chuckles, “Hard worker, eh? Well, to get there just keep heading up the road and follow the signs. It’s not too far.”
I nod at Hadvar and say my goodbyes and thank yous to everyone before heading out. The road to Whiterun is easy, just like Alvor told me it would be. I can just see the city in the distance and it starts getting dark before I expect…and then the first rain drop hits my head. I sigh and check the pack for a cloak, thankfully there’s a thin one stuff in among some food and healing potions. I put it on and pull the hood low over my head before continuing on. I walk past a meadery and just hope I’ll remember where it is, and can just see what must be the stables as I come closer to the city. I start jogging down the road and then stop dead in my tracks at the sight of a giant attacking a farm.
I quickly pull out my bow and loose a few arrows at the beast, slowly walking closer to improve my chances of hitting it since I was pretty far away. I see one of my arrows plunge into the flesh just before a man in steal armor swings his sword into the weakened giant, killing it. I pick back up with jogging down the road to meet the small group that had been facing the giant. I stop in front of them, a small Imperial woman, the who had delivered the final blow (and is actually the same size as I am), and another woman (this time a Nord) who was putting up her bow.
"You handled yourself well." The woman with the bow says as she approaches me. "You might make an excellent Shield-Brother." A smile formed on her face, and there was a glint in her eyes.
"Thank you…but do you mean the Companions?" I had heard stories of them when I was young. Even my great-great-great grandda, Athol the First, had been a member of their ranks before settling in Morthal. But I had never expected to be offered a spot in the Companions.
“Yes, I mean the Companions.” She rolled her eyes, but continued, “Come to Jorrvaskr and speak to Kodlak Whitemane if you think you can handle being a Companion. He’s the Harbinger, he’ll know if you’re worthy to join.”
I smile and nod. “I’ll definitely be thinking about it.” The other Companions with her smile and the two women turn to head back to the city.
"Hope ya join, be nice to see ya at Jorrvaskr." The man says before turning going to catch up with his Shield-Sisters.
I readjust the hood of my cloak and continue on up the road, trailing behind the Companions. I don’t want to get caught up in the prospect of joining them and forget to speak with the Jarl. As I approach the gates, the reality of what I’m about to do hits me. I am going before a Jarl, uninvited, to deliver important news. I try to keep my breathing steady and go over what I’m going to say in my head.
"Halt! No one’s allowed in the city with dragons about!" A hold guard standing a few feet in front of me shouts. I guess the news from Helgen spread fast.
"Riverwood calls for the Jarl’s aid." I say, trying to keep my voice steady.
"Riverwood’s in danger too? Hold on, let me open the gate." He returns to the gate and has it opened. Thank the nine I didn’t have to try and persuade him further.
I enter the city and follow the natural flow of the city up toward a dead tree in the middle of the square. I look around and see the building that must be the palace sitting high above the rest of Whiterun. Only a short distance now, then I’ll be done. I begin climbing the stairs and deciding what I’ll do when I’m done. First I’ll return to Morthal and stay there for a month so I can get my footing here again, then I’ll return to Whiterun and see if the Harbinger thinks I could join the Companions.
Taking a deep breath I step into the palace and remove my hood. I take a few strides toward the fire pit and am stopped by a Dunmer woman with her sword drawn.
"Jarl Balgruuf is not expecting visitors at the moment."
"I came from Helgen, and was asked to come here by the people of Riverwood."
"Helgen? That explains why the guards let you in the city. Come on." She sheaths her sword and leads me to the Jarl. He’s speaking with his steward about the war when the housecarl announces me. I step forward.
"So, you came from Helgen?"
"Yes, my Jarl. The Imperials had captured Ulfric Stormcloak, and were planning on executing him when the dragon attacked. Last I saw it was headed this way."
"Then Riverwood will be in danger too." He turned his attention to the elf, "Irileth, send a unit to Riverwood."
"Yes my Jarl." As she turns to leave the steward speaks up.
"Jarl Balgruuf, sending troops to Riverwood could be disastrous! The Jarl of Falkreath could take this as a us joining Ulfric’s side. He could think we’re preparing to attack him!"
"Proventus, I won’t stand idly by as a dragon destroys my hold and slaughters my people! Irileth, send the troops at once."
She nods and leaves as I look around the palace. I haven’t been dismissed, but it feels a bit awkward just standing here.
"What is your name?" The Jarl has turned his attention back to me, and I quickly look back at him.
"Athol."
"Well, Athol, you’ve done Whiterun a service telling me about the dragon." He stands and continues, "Follow me, there’s something you might could help my court wizard with." I follow the Jarl into a side room where the court wizard is sitting, reading over a few papers. Books, maps, potions, and enchanting supplies are scattered around the room.
"Farengar, I have someone here who might could help you with your dragon project." Dragon project? They only just came back. What could this man possibly have in the way of a project?
The man mumbles to himself a bit, mostly about the words “dragon project” and looks a bit confused. His eyes light up and he stands. For being so skinny he’s incredibly tall.
"You refer to the Dragon Stone my Jarl." He turns to look at me, "So, the Jarl thinks you can help me? Yes…you’ll do. How do you feel about delving into an ancient ruin for an ancient stone? Though I warn you, it may or may not actually be there.”
"What does that have to do with dragons?"
He looks a bit impressed. I wish I could figure out why people keep looking at me like this today. “No mere brute mercenary, but a thinker! Perhaps even a scholar?”
I am definitely no scholar.
"You’re a cut above those the Jarl usually sends my way."
All I want to know is what putting myself in danger for a rock has to do with dragons.
"The Dragon Stone is a map of ancient dragon burial sites, and is located deep within Bleak Falls Barrow. I require the stone for research purposes, especially if what I hear is true and the dragons truly are returning."
I hadn’t planned on actually going to Bleak Falls Barrow so soon, but if it will help I suppose I will. ”I’ll get your Dragon Stone. So how do I get to Bleak Falls Barrow?”
"It’s through Riverwood, though I’m not sure of the way exactly. Ask some of the locals, they can point you in the right direction."
I nod and the Jarl begins to speak to me again. “This is a high priority Athol. Go to the Barrow and bring the Dragon Stone to Farengar, you’ll be rewarded when you return.”
"I’ll leave in the morning my Jarl."
"Good. Now if you excuse me, I have a city to run." He leaves the room and I turn to ask Farengar a few more questions about the Barrow. Unfortunately, he’s already returned to his work and doesn’t seem to care to speak to me again. I leave the palace and head to the inn I saw near the square.
"Excuse me, mister, could you spare a coin?" I look to see a girl sitting near the dead tree. She’s soaked from the rain, and dirt runs down her face.
"Here." I search through the pack Alvor gave me and hand her a few gold.
"Thank you! Divines bless your kind heart!"
"Why are you begging?"
"It’s…it’s what Brenuin said I should do. He’s the only one that’s been nice to me…since…" She begins to tear up and wipes at her nose with her sleeve, "since mamma died. My aunt and uncle, they took over the farm and threw me out." She begins crying harder and hiccuping, "They said I wasn’t good for anything. I, I wound up here, but I don’t know what to do! I miss her so much!"
I don’t know what else to do, there’s no way I can help her. I don’t have a home, or a wife. There needs to be someone to take care of this girl.
"Come on," I hold out my cloak, offering her protection from the rain, "you should sit in the inn. You’ll get sick out in this rain." She stands and wipes at her tears before getting under the thin cloak and holding part of it over her head.
"Thank you mister." She sniffs loudly and we walk into the inn. It’s crowded, but she finds a place to sit by the fire
"Did you help Lucia?"
I look over to the source of the voice, a young woman with red hair. “Yes. I did.”
"That was very kid of you," she says, smiling, "I wish I could help her…but there’s not much I can do. I don’t have a steady job…yet. But I’ll eventually be a merchant…if I can just get that damn tusk.” The last part was to herself I’m sure, but I can’t help but see if I can assist her.
"Tusk?"
"Hm? Oh, yes. One of the Kajiit caravan leaders, Ma’dran, he said he’d teach me everything he knows if I could get him a mammoth tusk." She sighs and continues. "That’s easier said than done.”
"I might could help you." The words come out of my mouth before I know what I’m doing. I’m no hunter, I doubt I could take down a mammoth. But I guess I have to try now.
Her face lights up. “Really, you’d do that? You don’t have to, but I’d be grateful if you did.”
"I’ll see what I can do."
"Thank you."
I nod and go over to the innkeeper, purchasing a little food to be brought to Lucia and a room for myself. As soon as the innkeeper leaves I pull off the cuirass of the Legion armor and fall onto the bed.