The Tale of Athol

Fredas, 20th of Last Seed

We awoke early and packed up our bed rolls before beginning our walk back to Whiterun to get Saadia. Just like the day before, Kematu and I travel in silence. We must have made it half way back to the city; the trip doesn’t seem to take very long.
I enter the gates while Kematu waits at the stables. Honestly, I’m more concerned with if I made the right choice than if the plan will work. What if it was Saadia who was telling the truth? I guess I’ll never know. I take a deep breath to calm my nerves and go into the Bannered Mare. I turn into the kitchen and go up the stairs to Saadia’s room.
Well, did you do it?” Saadia asks me, getting out of her chair.
“I couldn’t kill all of them; they’re headed to the city now.”
What?! But you said-I can’t keep running forever!”
“This will be the last time, I swear. There’s a horse waiting for you at the stables. I’ll make sure you get to a new city safely.”
She sighs and looks at me, how nervous she is, is obvious. “Okay, I trust you.”
I wish she hadn’t said that.
I follow her out of the inn and through the streets of Whiterun. There’s no time for second thoughts. Think of the money, I need money. Think of Amar, he mentioned Tanith. I’m doing the right thing.
I continue to follow her as she runs to the stables, stopping dead in her tracks as soon as she sees Kematu. I stand behind Saadia to keep her from running.
“We meet at last my dear Lady.” Kematu says as he smirks and moves from leaning against the wall of the stables.
“Why-how-what have you done?!” She turns to me, anger on her face.
“No more running Iman, you have to pay for your crimes.” He says as he shoots a spell at Saadia, paralyzing her. As she falls to the ground Kematu walks toward me. “Thank you, friend. Now, just as promised, here is you’re portion of the reward.” He hands me a pouch, full of Septims that are clinking together. “Half up-front and half when we bring her back.” He continues, explaining how he has my money now.
“She won’t be hurt, will she?”
“Not on the way back to Hammerfell, but I make no promises when we hand her back over to the people.”
I nod, I can’t ask for more after what she probably did. I just don’t want to think about anyone being needlessly injured.
I watch as Kematu picks Saadia up and throws her over his shoulder. “Don’t ever let yourself get taken in by a pretty face, I can tell you’re better than that.” I manage a smile as he walks off to meet back up with the rest of the Alik’r.
I should start heading to Ivarstead if I want to make it before dark. I don’t know what will happen if I keep the Greybeards waiting...maybe nothing. I’d rather not try to find out though; it wouldn’t feel right to put off going up to High Hrothgar.
I turn back toward the stables and walk over to the man going to the horses. Hopefully I have enough for a horse, since the carriage probably doesn’t go to Ivarstead. “I’d like to buy a horse.”
“Sure thing. I’ve got one all saddled up, and she’s yours if you’ve got one-thousand Septims.” He says, motioning to the large, brown horse. I count out the amount and give it to him; thankfully I have a fair bit of money left.
“Brynhildr’s all yours,” he says. I thank him and go over to her. I forgot how much bigger Skyrim’s horses are than Cyrodiil’s. I pull myself into the saddle and rub Brynhildr’s neck as she lets out a soft whinny and gets used to my weight. I get her started toward the road and begin the journey to Ivarstead. It looks to be a pretty long way from my map, but I can hopefully make it before dark.
I continue following the path to. After a while I don’t even know how long I’ve been heading to Ivarstead, but the sun is lower than when I headed out. Maybe an hour?
“Hey, can you help me?!” A voice from the side of the road calls out, snapping me out of my thoughts. I stop Brynhildr and look to see a merchant sitting by the road, the containers for his wares strewn around on the ground.
“What happened here?” I ask as I get off my horse.
“I was robbed! What does it look like?” He says as he shakily gets up. I go to his side and steady him.
“I-I’m fine, thank you.” The merchant says, gently pushing me away. “Can you help me? I was ambushed!” He continues as he dusts off his pants.
I tell him I’ll help and he smiles, pointing to a path that leads up the hill. He explains that he thinks the bandits have their camp at a ruin further up that road. I nod and take my axe from my back before heading up the path.
“I can’t offer much help but I’m going follow you, okay. I can at least help you bring my things back to my cart.” I tell him that’s okay so long as he stays out of the way.
As soon as I reach the bandit camp one of the men rushes at me, his weapon already drawn. I barely manage to block him in time, so I get pushed back a bit only to see the other come at me. I manage to push him back with my battle axe just in time to hear the merchant from before laughing behind me.
This was a set-up!
I plunge my axe into the bandit, taking off his arm. He yells out in pain and I push him back hard with my axe. He smacks hard against the wall of the Dwemer tower and sinks to the ground. I spin around fast and ram into the “merchant” with my shoulder, pushing him back down the path to buy me some time with the initial bandit at the camp. The first bandit goes at me again but I can’t block him in time, so he makes a dent in my armor. It hurts and I feel my face scrunch up in pain. I kick his legs out from under him and swing my axe into his shoulder as he goes down. Blood comes out of the bandit’s neck when the blade of my axe is free. I turn just in time to see the fake merchant coming back up the path with his bow drawn. I manage to move out of the way of his arrow and get closer to him, sinking my axe deep into his chest before he can prepare another arrow. He goes down and I’m breathing hard. I’m gutting whoever does this to me next.
After regaining my breath I put my axe on my back again and head back down to Brynhildr. She’s standing in, more-or-less, the same spot as when I left.
“Good girl.” I say to her softly as I pat her neck. Taking a deep breath I remount and start heading toward Ivarstead again. Its early evening now, I hope I get there soon. I don’t want to have to delay my trip up the seven thousand steps any longer than I have to.
“Welcome to Ivarastead traveler.” A guard says, looking up at me as he lights his torch.
I sigh in relief as I nod at him. Getting side-tracked yesterday ate up a lot of my time. I slowly ride Brynhildr to the in and get off her, tying her up with a couple other horses.
“Want me to get some water for your horse sir?” One of the workers asks, coming out with water for the others.
I nod and pay him before taking a long look at the mountain. I’d heard stories about the Throat of the World, but I never would have believed it if I hadn’t seen it myself. I let out a low whistle. I’ll need the whole day tomorrow to make it to High Hrothgar. I enter the inn as soon as I hear Brynhildr start drinking and order a meal for myself.
By the time I rent my room I’m feeling a little drunk. Everyone in the inn was talking about the Dragonborn, I still can’t wrap my mind around it, and I don’t know why I thought mead would help me do that. Hopefully things will be better in the morning.