Snowed In in Nashville

Snowed In in Nashville

The day started like most had recently, with waking to see exactly how lucky Stephanni was. It didn't stay normal though. Everyone knew that there was a bad storm crossing the U.S. bringing snow and foul weather with it. What I didn't expect was to come down to start the kahvi and find the yard white. I was well aware that Pekka and the boys got in late the night before due to the storm. Fortunately I'm originally from Alaska so while snow in Nashville was surprising; it wasn't something that would throw me off for long. Starting the kahvi, I went back to bury myself next to my boyfriend until it was done. Pekka's phone was ringing when I got into the bedroom and he wasn't waking. Picking it up, I took it out into the hall. "Hello?" The number had been one from the rink so at least they wouldn't be thrown by me answering his phone.

"Steph? Where's Pekka?" It was one of the trainers, which one I couldn't tell over the phone.

"Hey, he's still asleep, I’ll take a message though, what's up? " I then heard the doorbell, which would wake Pekka, and closed the door behind me as I went downstairs.

I found Victor Stalberg standing there with a huge grin on his face. "Hi Stals, come on in." I waved him in and closed the door.

"Steph? Tell Peks that practice is optional due to the weather, if he wants to come in that's fine." It took all I had to not laugh over the phone. We might not have been together long, but one thing I already knew was Pekka would walk to practice if he had to. Stals did laugh as he heard as well.

"I'll let him know, but I can almost count on him going over. After all it’s not that bad out there if you know what you're doing. " Getting off the phone, Victor was pouring himself some coffee. "Let me guess, you walked."

He chuckled. "Of course it's only a mile or so. What do you think of outside?" I snorted, this wasn't my first winter snowstorm, but Stals didn't know that. So while I put on the water for oatmeal, I looked outside and sighed.

"Honestly I hadn't missed it. Don't forget, I survived Chicago without a problem. You do know where I'm originally from right?" I pulled out what else would be needed this morning while speaking. "In case you didn't know, I'm Alaskan by birth. Winters were snow, snow and maybe some ice." I laughed at that. Summers were gorgeous but they paid for them.

"No kidding, that certainly explains it. We thought you were Canadian and not wanting to tell anyone in Chicago. No wonder you could deal when some of us couldn't. He sipped his coffee while they made small talk. "It explains why you wanted a Subaru too. What did you call it again?"

I smiled fondly, I really liked Stals he had always been a good friend. "My snow rat. Yeah it'll go anywhere, even on all season tires." There were now footsteps coming down the stairs, signaling that Pekka was up and moving. "In fact I wouldn't be surprised if those who have lived with snow before are the only ones out and about today. If you haven't its close to suicide to go out."

"Fuck." We turned to see Pekka looking out the window. I could sympathize, I wasn't thrilled about it either but I'd deal. Stals and I nodded in agreement as he came over and kissed me good morning. "I heard you answer my phone."

Reveling in the morning cuddle I was getting, smirked. "Practice is optional because of the weather. Stals walked over. If you guys want to go, I'll drive so you don't have to walk home." That simple offer got me another a hug.

"Thank you love, but the roads will be treacherous. We can walk." He laid a kiss on the top of her head and began making his morning meal.

I sighed. I wanted to fight him on this but I also knew that he was right. There were a lot of people who would have no clue how to properly drive in the stuff we already had and more was coming down. Before I could voice anything, though, his cell rang again. Pekka snagged it and answered it. “Hey Webs. Yeah I know. I was planning on it, Stals is here and we’re close enough to walk. Really, crap that’s not good. No we’ll be fine, I do have some expertise in surviving snow. Ok, we’ll see you tomorrow hopefully. Yeah, later.” He hung up and sighed. “Well, Webs just spoke with coach and everyone. Practice is cancelled, it’s too dangerous to be on the roads right now.”

Stals sighed. “He does remember that most of us do know how to drive on roads like this right?” He gestured to the snow outside. Pekka nodded. “I guess I’ll go home then and shovel the walk and driveway.”

After he left, we had breakfast. After that I watched as Pekka kind of bounced off the walls for a little while. When I couldn’t stand it anymore, I went and pulled on my winter gear. I had just moved so that meant finding the boxes with it. Once I was ready I picked up my boots and went back downstairs. “I’m following Stals example and going to clean off the driveway and walk.” What I didn’t tell him was that I couldn’t watch him pace anymore.

I got about half the driveway done before I got hit with something. Pausing with a shovelful, I felt another hit. Someone was throwing snowballs at me and I could guess whom. “I know you have another shovel, you could help me out here.” I said calmly as I tried to figure out where he was. Then I hear the muffled crunch of snow being trampled. I had him now.

When the sound stopped I half turned and spotted him. He had another snowball in hand. “But this is more fun!” He threw it at me again, this time I got white washed. I spluttered a bit and then retaliated by throwing my shovelful at him. Then I dropped the shovel as it hit me what I did. As I got in front of my snow-covered boyfriend, I heard him laughing.

“Babe are you ok?” I asked, he might be laughing but that didn’t mean I didn’t hurt him in some way. My answer was to be tackled onto the lawn and be white washed again. “Ack!” I wiped my face off to find those sparkling eyes above me.

“You were being so serious, I thought maybe some fun would help.” Pekka was lying atop me in the snow. “Was I right?” I nodded, leaned up and kissed him on his nose.

“Of course, but I think you knew that.” He laughed again and kissed me gently. We probably would have gotten deeper into the kiss and then the house but we both got smacked with some more snowballs, which effectively put an end to our making out in the snow.

It wasn’t difficult to find the culprits; we spotted them easily. I’d found out that Pekka was popular with the kids in the neighborhood for his willingness to play with them when he had the time. This was just another time he could do that. Giving me a peck on the lips, he got up and charged them with a healthy shout. “Suomen osalta!” I threw my head back and laughed aloud as most of the kids scattered.

When I finally levered myself up, I spotted a couple kids nearby and waved them over. “Come on, we have to build some cover before he gets back!” I quickly moved over to my mound of snow and began building it up so that we could hide behind it. The kids quickly got behind this idea and helped or made snowballs we could fire. By the time Pekka had gotten back to where he had left me to chase the kids, we were ready for him. I had a good idea of when he would be in range of the kids so when he was, I shouted. “Fire!”

About 10 kids and myself fired as many snowballs as we could make and fire until Pekka breached the wall we had mounded up. Now to be fair I had been firing long so that it was only if the kids hit that he got snowed. That didn’t stop him from grabbing me, hoisting me on his shoulder and jogging for the house. The kids tried to come after us, so I shouted at them and waved. “Save yourselves! I’ll pacify the Finnish Beast!” The kids ran off laughing while I found myself face to face with Pekka.

“The Finnish Beast?” He asked incredulously, to which I nodded solemnly. “I’ll show you a Finnish Beast…” He then proceeded to work us both out of our snow gear and then our clothes. Let’s just say that he might call it a Beast but I thoroughly enjoyed the introduction.

After the introduction we pulled our robes on and lay on the couch for a while. Then my stomach rumbled. Pekka chuckled. “We should have lunch and probably finish the driveway.” He shifted me off of his chest and onto the couch proper. “I’ll make us something, you lay here and look beautiful.” He kissed my temple and padded into the kitchen.

After lunch we trudged back outside to work together to finish what needed to be done. It took a lot less time working together than it had with just me. Once the drive and the walk were done we sat outside on the patio in our gear and enjoyed the cold. “We should lit a fire out here, it’s so nice out.” I said as we sat there.

“Maybe we should invite the guys who are close to come over and have a snow party. We could lit the fire and have the hot tub and sauna going and enjoy being completely Scandinavian for the evening.” Pekka rebutted. His idea sounded much more fun and it would also give the girls who came over a chance to get to know me in a setting that was not at all threatening.

I chuckled. “You just want to see if I can take the tub, sauna and a snow dip.” He grinned at me so I knew I was right. “It sounds like a lot of fun, but who to have over?” I moved my chair closer to be able to just be closer to him.

He shrugged. “Anyone who wants to brave the roads? Stals and Clara are close enough to walk. Would it matter to you if kids came?” He asked hesitantly. I knew how much he liked kids so it would make sense that he’d not want to exclude them if possible.

“Having the families over would be fine. I’m nervous about how I’ll be seen but I won’t know until I meet them.” It was true, I wanted them to like me but I was afraid they wouldn’t.

Pekka must have seen how nervous I was as he pulled me into his lap. “How about we have more people over another day and just invite Stals and Clara over for dinner. You know they both like you.” I nodded in relief. “Good I’ll call them and then we can figure out what dinner will be.”

As it turned out they had a similar idea to what we had and gladly would move their get together to our place to have the sauna too. In the end we decided as a foursome that having a Scandinavian party while it was snowy was a great idea, for another day.
♠ ♠ ♠
Kahvi is Finnish for coffee.

Suomen osalta! is For Finland! in Finnish.

I apologize for not posting in a long time, I am working on getting back to writing.