Status: once upon a time, there was a co-write...

Broken Illusion

Wendy.

Individuality within the kingdom of Kensington had become the rarest of treasures. Everyone knew that the Queen, and her three daughters, were the only ones allowed to be unique. To remind her people of that, Maleficent would judge a young woman on her seventeenth birthday, and decide whether she was ordinary enough to pass into adulthood. Otherwise, she was taken away, and never seen again.

Rumour had it that she turned into an enormous beast and devoured her victims whole.

That is why Wendy Moira Angela Davenport - the girls with three names - had to lead an ordinary life. Her parents risked a lot in naming her, having always found little ways to rebel against their vicious ruler. They paid homage to the girls that had been taken that month, Wendy, Moira, and Angela. Nobody in the kingdom was brave enough to call her by her full name, however, and instead she was simply known as Wendy Darling.

Unfortunately for Wendy, and the Davenport family, she was anything but ordinary. She wasn't the most beautiful girl in the kingdom, or the most intelligent, but she had a spark in her that radiated warmth and happiness. Everywhere she went, the kingdom's little darling spread joy.

There weren't many books in the kingdom that told fictitious stories, but Wendy didn't need any. She made up her own stories, going off on adventures in her mind. This habit was one that her parents hoped would go away, but it developed and grew into her teenage years. Her brothers, John and Michael Davenport, loved her stories, letting their sisters transport to a world where evil queens were overthrown.

One particularly cold night, John and Michael were sat eagerly listening on the ends of their beds. Wendy was telling them the story of Peter Pan. The boys' favourite.

"Don't worry Tiger Lily, I'll save you!" Wendy exclaimed, in her best Peter Pan impression. She lunged forward, darting in and out as if dodging the attack of a sword.

Quickly, she let down the bun and dropped to her knees, pretending her hands were tied behind her back, "I can save myself."

John and Michael laughed. Oh, the stubbornness of Tiger Lily!

Just as Wendy began to scramble her hair back up on top of her head, there was a soft knock at the door. Wendy sat delicately on the end of her own bed, and called 'enter'.

Poking his head around the door, Wendy's father sighed at the sight of Wendy's messy hair and the mountain of pillows. Wendy looked down at her bare feet, her face guilty. She knew that her parents wanted her to stop entertaining the boys. They wanted her to grow up and do adult things like get married, and become a seamstress. They wanted her to live.

That's why George Davenport, father of Wendy, John and Michael Davenport, decided to be as harsh as the cold winds that blew on that night.

"Tomorrow is your last night in the nursery, Wendy Darling!"