My Vampire Slave

Hate

March 12th, 1953

Today I met a girl. She was sitting in the street alone, covered in blood. She was so young, I did what I thought was right. I scooped her up in my arms and ran like hell to safety. Later I learned she was one of them. The infirmary was full of men out for blood, waiting to get their revenge on vampires. I wouldn’t put killing a child past them. I buried her head into my chest, I knew she wouldn’t bite me.

We made it home, I brought her to the bathroom and stripped her of her clothes. She was warm, I quickly ran a bath for her. She was shaking. I was terrified, she looked like she was about seven years old. She said her name was Rosette. She kept asking where her parents were. I had no answers.

Am I a traitor to the humans for protecting a vampire?

- W.T. Walters


I paused. I guess I assumed that my grandfather had something romantic towards Rose. She was just a baby girl, who was scared and lost.

“Scar, you’ve been up here all night.” I slammed the book closed and looked up to Milo, smiling. He sat down next to me. “You’re giving me that guilty smile.” I sighed. Milo could see right through me.

“Why didn’t you ever tell me you were friends with my dad?” I wasn’t mad at him, I was genuinely curious. He sighed and slung his arm over my shoulder.

“I didn’t think you would care.” I gave him a knowing look, I knew he was lying. He sighed again, raking his fingers through his dirty blonde hair. “Look, he asked me not to. Our relationship now is” He paused. “Uncomfortable. He hates what I have become but we were such good friends at the time, he thought it was his duty to save me.” I could tell he was thinking about something. “Now the real question is, how did you know?” I gave him a sad smile.

“My grandfather journaled about it. I think I might dig out one of my fathers journals, see if he wrote about it.” Milo raked his finger through his hair again.

“Do you want me to get it down for you?” He glanced over at Leo, he was completely asleep. I smiled, and shook my head.

“I have enough down for now.” I gestured to the rest of my journals. I leaned my head against his shoulder.

“Come on then, lets get some dinner in you.” He smiled sweetly, standing up and pulling me up with him. I glanced over at Leo.

“What about him?” I sighed, Milo raised his eyebrow, I sounded sad.

“Just leave him.” We walked out of the library and he quietly closed the doors behind us.

“He hates me.” My eyebrows furrowed, it was true though. I had never had such a hard time winning over one of the guys before. Julien was a bit of a challenge, but it was different. Julien was just cold towards me, until we had a bonding moment. Its different with Leo though, he just hates me.

“He thinks you brainwashed us, he’ll get over it. Now come on. You need some food.” I walked with him to the kitchen. We used to all eat together, now its more of an eat when you are hungry thing. Milo grabbed a frying pan, instantly taking stuff out of the fridge and cupboards. He knew what he was doing. I went to the fridge and grabbed a jug of orange juice, taking a sip right from the jug. I hopped up on the counter.

“Who gives a shit what he thinks right?” I said, taking another sip from the jug. “I mean, I’m a great person. If he doesn’t see that he is blind!” Milo laughed.

“Conceited much?” I rolled my eyes.

“More like self aware.” I joked back. I thought to Leo again. Maybe someday he would see that I wasn’t all that bad. In the mean time, I would avoid him. If he was happier hanging out with the boys, so be it.

He pulled out eggs, chicken, and rice and I instantly knew he was making my favorite fried rice. I smiled. He doesn’t eat it with me very often seeing as he doesn’t need to eat since we supply him with blood, but sometimes he does and its nice when he does. he quickly slid a plate in front of me.

“You are amazing.” I smiled at Milo. He offered a cheeky smile back.

“Of course I am. Now eat and get up to bed young lady. I’ll join you in your room another night, you need rest.” I rolled my eyes and stuck a fork full of food in my mouth.

We chatted while I ate. We didn’t really chat about anything though. He told me about a hunt he went on for deer with Theo. They weren’t allowed to leave the property unless accompanied by their owner. Its a federal law, not mine. Even though I told them they could leave whenever, I don’t think any of them want to risk breaking a federal law. If you do that and you are a vampire, your owners either have to pay serious fines or they could chose to have you executed. Rarely does a family pay the fines.

“Go to bed now gorgeous. Its almost ten.” Milo said smirking. I had finished my rice awhile ago and we were talking about Soul Calibur V. Also known as the best video game ever with the best story mode.

“Fine. Tomorrow you better be joining me upstairs though. I need to relieve some stress.” I winked. Using his vampire speed, he ran over and pinched my butt. I jumped, but then I laughed.

“I will absolutely accompany you to your bed tomorrow night.” He winked. I laughed and kissed him goodnight, heading upstairs. When I got up there, I was surprised to see Leo sleeping on the wood floor next to my bed. I silently walked to my closet, changing into a baggy shirt and a pair of spandex shorts. I continued to tip toe to my bed and crawl in.

Although I was cold, I felt guilty about Leo sleeping on the floor with not even a pillow. I quickly took my blanket off of me and laid it over him. His eyes were closed but I could see a smirk growing on his face.

“You know, I don’t have any body heat to warm this blanket up with so its pretty pointless” His eyes were still closed. I frowned.

“I thought you were asleep.” I said, frustrated. The fact that he was talking was making it hard to ignore him. He sat up and opened his eyes.

“Well I’m not, so here.” He handed me back my blanket. “I can practically hear your skin getting goosebumps.” I was going to deny it, but I couldn’t. I quickly wrapped myself in the blanket.

“Can you atleast take the bed, I’ll take-” He was on the bed in a second, his face inches from mine. His eyes were squinted as if he were trying to figure something out. I scooted back.

“Milo marked you?” He asked, obviously confused. I knew exactly what he was talking about and looked away.

“I’m not marked. Goodnight.” I scooted off of the bed and walked over to one of the couches sitting down. I wasn’t tired anymore. I couldn’t do anything but sit there though, because I knew anything I did would be noisy to him. It was silent for a couple minutes, but then he started talking again.

“You’re breathing louder and your heart is beating faster. Why are you holding back tears? Or are you mad?” He sounded curious. He was trying to figure me out I’m sure.

“You hate me, why would you care?” I snapped back. I didn’t mean to sound so angry but I did. I hated thinking about being bitten. I hadn’t gotten asked about the mark though since all the boys found out. Apparently your blood smells different once you are bitten. I had almost forgotten how much I hated that question until Leo asked it.

“I hate all humans, don't take it personally. I’m actually surprised you haven’t used those silver chains on me yet.” Now he wanted to talk?

“The chains freak me out. I’m not a fan of blood.” I mumbled the last part, fully aware that he could hear me. He burst out laughing.

“You live in a house with now 8 vampires, yet you don’t like blood? What about when one of them kisses you after they have eaten?” He asked. I was annoyed that he was making fun of me.

“I don’t kiss Milo after he feeds.” I made a point to say that the only vampire that I am currently kissing is Milo. I shuddered at the thought of kissing Milo to find out his mouth was full of blood. Sure, I taste it a bit when we kiss. But its more of like kissing a smoker and tasting his cigarette aftertaste than actually kissing him with a mouth full of smoke.

“Would you kiss me after I fed?” He was trying to make me feel uncomfortable. I could tell, and it was bothering me.

“Goodnight Leo.” I said, annoyance clear in my voice. He just chuckled and stopped talking. Eventually I was asleep.