Status: (Active)

The Poem of the Phoenix

Burn.

What was it about the subway that made Patrick want to scream? The people bumping into him? The way it smelled? Or was it because he felt if it stopped abruptly one more time he'd surely be ill. He closed his eyes and sighed. Only 10 more minutes until he'd be at his small apartment in downtown Manhattan. Then he could sprawl out on his couch and watch TV.

Patrick had moved on after Fall Out Boy broke up, enrolled in Medical School and was now living in New York. He didn't care much about what the other three were up to. They hadn't bothered to really keep in touch with him anyways.

His eyes snapped open at the feeling of hot coffee bleeding through his sleeve and scalding his arm. "Ow! Shit.." He cursed. Something he rarely did.. but come on.. Hot coffee was hot.

A girl holding an empty coffee cup looked at him. "I'm sorry! Shit." She cursed as well. "I tripped. Sorry."

He groaned. "It's fine." He murmured, rolling up his sleeve and looking at the red mark appearing on his arm.

"Are you burned badly?"

"No.. I'm fine.." He murmured, kind of wishing she would just leave him alone. He'd had a long day and didn't want to have anymore conversations.

She looked at him, and he swore she was gonna' cry or something. She couldn't've been more than 18.

"Hey.. It's fine really." He told her.

She just nodded.

They got off at the same stop and he realised she was heading towards the same apartment complex as he was. Now he felt like talking, as he'd never seen her before.

"You live here?" He asked.

"No. Visiting my grandma." She replied. "Not to sound rude.. But why are you talking to me? I burned you and like.. I don't know you."

He shrugged. "Never seen you around here before."

She just nodded and found a key in the pocket of her coat. "Aren't you famous?" She smirked.

"Oh, you know who I am. Let me guess. Your favourite song is Dance, Dance.. and our worst album was Folie A Deux?"

She couldn't help but laugh. "Actually.." She started. "I never listened to Fall Out Boy. But your Solo stuff is pretty funky. Should've called it Soul Funk." She opened the door to her grandmothers unit.

He felt himself blush at the mention of his solo work, which he could get extremely shy about. "Yeah.. You're right." He laughed. "Nice to meet you.." He held out his hand, wondering if he could make a friend.

She placed her hand in his and shook it. "Jamie." She smiled, before heading inside.

Patrick headed upstairs to his unit. He didn't have any friends in New York. He always found it hard to make friends, since half of them were fans and wanted to hump him like a hormonal dog. But this girl, Jamie, she seemed normal. She didn't freak at the fact that she was talking to him and he liked that. He didn't care if she was just a teen.. Why should he? He knew it was hard to make friends at her age as well. No one takes you seriously when you're younger.

He had a shower and pulled on some warm pajamas before heading into the kitchen. He made some microwave ramen and then plopped down on his couch to eat.

Before he knew it it was morning and his alarm was ringing through his ears. He had work today. He was working part time at a cafe, making muffins and sandwhiches and taking orders. He yawned as he showered and as he dressed and was even yawning as he walked the 2 blocks to the Cafe. When he went inside he headed into the back and clocked in, before seeing what needed to be made.

Jamie walked in and snorted. "Go figure." She smiled, walking up to the counter.

He looked at her. "Stalking me?" He joked.

"Oh you know I have nothing better to do." She joked back, before ordering some muffins. "My grandma loves the blueberry ones from here."

"Who doesn't?" He asked, piling 12 of them into a box and ringing her total up. "12 for 10$"

She handed him a ten and took the box. "Hey.. Patrick." She said.

"Yeah?"

"Wanna' hang out later?"

He looked at her and nodded. "I'm off at 5.. Wanna' meet me back here?"

She nodded then waved and headed back to the apartment.

Patrick spent the next 8 hours dealing with people and their complicated orders and special requests and of course the one old man who wrote out a check for 2.50$

At 5, he put on his coat and headed outside. Jamie was sitting on the sidewalk, typing away on her phone.

Patrick walked over. "OMG I'm about to hang out with the lead singer from FOB" he mocked in a girls voice.

"Is that supposed to be me doing a Facebook status or something?" She asked, standing up. "I was texting my nan."

"Your grandma texts. What a rebel."

"Oh yeah.. her texts are usually something like 'Where's my hearing aid?', 'Where are you' and my favourite. 'When did we get that snake?'" She giggled.

He looked at her. "You have a snake?"

"No. It's just a lizard. She doesn't know the difference I guess."

The two of them walked down the sidewalk, getting to know eachother. Jamie was from Oregon and lived with her parents. But every Winter she spent January and February with her lonely Grandmother, Ellie. Jamie was 18 and about to be 19 in March. She liked cars and guitars and music, but her favourite thing to do is write poetry.

Patrick spouted off random things about himself, that he was from Chicago and 23 and was going to be a GP and was in Medical School for it.

"That's cool. I wanna' go to college for Literature." She replied. "Maybe Journalism."

He nodded. "Go for it."

"I heard you a few nights ago." She said.

"If you're talking about the moaning.. that was the guy next door to me. I think he's a swinger or something."

"What? No!" She laughed. "The singing."

"Oh. That was me, yeah."

"How come you're not focused on that? You're good."

"Doesn't pay the rent.." He shrugged.

She went silent as they walked. "I go home next week." She finally said. "To my parents.. It's Hell. They want me to be like them and sell property and not listen to rock music or dress how I like or be friends with who I want.." She breathed as she stopped walking and stood infront of him.

"Patrick. I want you to do me a favor.. Make this the best week of my life."

He looked at her silently. What would be agreeing to if he said yes?