Stories Yet to Unfold.

The Holiday (3)

Lucy opened the door, John looking up, ‘oh, hello’ ‘hey’ she gulped, he grinned, ‘I’m John, I didn’t know my neighbour had moved’ ‘oh, no, she hasn’t just ermm, we swapped houses for a month, I live in London as a chef, but I wanted to know what a wam Christmas was like’ he grinned, ‘well, nice choice’ laughing a little nervously, Lucy smiled, ‘I’m Lucy’ shaking hands, ‘I’m in a band’ ‘that’s different’ John laughed, ‘yeah, I don’t think that you hear that everyday’ ‘no, no, I don’t’ ‘have you seen Phoenix?’ ‘I only arrived yesterday, so only from the sky’ John laughed, ‘I like that’ laughing together, it getting easier, ‘so, why so far alone at Christmas’ ‘my family are weird, peace and quiet’ John laughed, ‘yeah, it’s underrated’ ‘you’re telling me, I think my older sister is the best, but even she drives me mad sometimes, good record collection though, so much Tom Petty’ ‘you like him too?’ ‘I’m a beginner’ he grinned, ‘we were all beginners once’.

John knocked on her door, ‘hello, oh John’ ‘just wondered if you wanted to see Phoenix or something, get you a beer?’ Lucy smiled, ‘sure, I’d like that’ he grinned, ‘awesome’ walking with him down the apartment stairs and walking to his car, ‘nice’ ‘thank you’ driving her into town, wandering around the city, John took her to some of the places he enjoyed, ‘what music do you enjoy?’ Lucy asked, ‘I like weird stuff’ ‘me too’ he grinned, ‘you’re English, of course you do’ ‘I was a belieber until my sister introduced me to good records, can you do worse than that?’ John laughed, ‘oh my god, no’ laughing, ‘then come at me, what’s your sound?’ ‘I like house music but I like a lot of classic stuff’ listening to him talking felt good, he had an easy on the ear voice which made the whole singing thing make sense, ‘you do sing right?’ ‘I do, how did you guess?’ ‘Just you have a voice to listen to’ he grinned.

'Thank you' 'no problem' he grinned, 'you make people talk, don't you?' Lucy smiled, 'sorry' laughing, 'no need, it's new' John smiled, 'I'm not really a chatty person' Lucy nodded, 'it happens' laughing a little, 'I think you're kinda like my sister but at least you do something' John laughed, 'she doesn't dance or anything, just sits' John laughed, 'some people take in the world in different ways' 'yeah, you're right, course, she's awesome, just different, quite like yourself, anyway, I need some sleep, I think the flight just hit me full in the face' 'of course' he grinned, 'have a good rest' John smiled, 'what do you cook?' 'I'm generally doing desserts, I'm good at pastries and stuff' John smiled, 'my kind of lady' laughing, Lucy smiled, 'I better go' yawning, John smiled, 'course' John closing her door, 'fuck' he shouted, 'what?' 'Nothing, fuck' kicking and cussing to his room.

-x-

Lucy smiled knocking on his door, ‘hey’ John smiled, ‘glad you’re in, just wondered if you wanted to go out tonight, I’ve not seen here at night and ermm, there’s a good show at the Nile tonight’ John sighed in relief, no alcohol, saved, Lucy smiled, ‘do you want to?’ ‘you know the Nile doesn’t serve alcohol?’ ‘I didn’t know that but Phoenix has some more good places to move on to sure, well Mesa?’ John nodded, ‘course, sure be designated driver’ John smiled, ‘well, that’s not really a night out’ Vee murmured, John laughed, ‘how old are you?’ ‘I’m 21’ John nodded, ‘I can tell’ Lucy smirked, ‘fine, be the sensible one, anyone would think you’re scared’ ‘I am not scared!’ ‘chicken’ he grinned as she headed inside, ‘Lucy!’ ‘hmm?’ her blue eyes were playful and he hated her for it, ‘tonight 7pm, we’ll do this, I’ll book a cab, somehow home’ ‘good boy’ John beamed blushing, ‘damn girl’ Tim looked at him, ‘you are a sucker for her’.

John was wasted he knew that but he’d been slow getting her in the apartment giggling like a fool as she tried to lock the door getting in eventually, John knocked on her door, ‘don’t’ rubbing her head, John smiled, ‘I’m glad I drank water’ ‘still a chicken’ ‘you’re like me a few years ago’ Lucy smirked, ‘well, maybe, I don’t know, I do have adhd, I tend to spring all over the place, I need a red bull to keep me calm’ John smiled, ‘then I understand’ she murmured, ‘good, right’ sipping her drink, John smiled, ‘do you wanna get pizza and watch movies or something, I know girls like that’ Lucy laughed, John smirked, ‘no, no, I think I’d rather not, I’m more an outie’ ‘well something else?’ John asked, ‘do you know any places with nice views?’ ‘Its Arizona, everywhere’ Lucy smiled, ‘prove it’ he grinned, ‘come with me’ driving her to the Sonora, ‘wildflowers, like Tom Petty’ ‘do you know that song’ ‘I do’ he grinned, ‘sing it, I hope it sounds as good as your voice’ John smiled, ‘I will’.

'It's gorgeous' Lucy murmured, John smiled, 'it is, oh my gorgeous Arizona, here's to getting caught with you' she looked at him, 'sounds like you' he laughed, 'what does that mean?' 'you are kinda one of those guys they write fanfiction about, aren't you?' 'How did you guess?' John smirked, 'I don't know, girls in sweaters sitting in your lap as you read I don't bloody know, Sartre' John laughed, 'if you wanted me to, I would do that' 'who knew?' laughing a little, 'I think you're a nice guy, sort of chaotic good' John smiled, 'so are you?' 'I know!' laughing and talking in the desert all evening, 'you are funny and brilliant' 'thank you, but clearly you are too, or you wouldn't get it' he grinned driving back, 'thank you' 'no need' getting inside and falling asleep on a buzz he couldn't even kick, Lucy smiled thinking of the guy next door to her.

-x-

'You're packing' 'I leave in a few days' John nodded 'of course' biting his lip, 'what does your music sound like?' Lucy asked, 'I don't know, would you like to hear it?' 'I would, would you mind?' 'No, I don't think so' he grinned getting his guitar and sitting down, Lucy smiled, 'what are the songs you consider your highlights?' 'My bands called The Maine, you heard of it' Lucy shook her head, 'I'm sorry' 'it's ok' John smiled, 'I suspect it will be my new favourite band soon' John grinned, 'I don't know where to begin?' 'I'll ask you questions and you sing a song which reminds you of the answer' Lucy murmured, John smiled, 'I like that' 'let's start with I don't know, growing up' John grinned, 'that's easy' singing her songs, 'you don't sing about love do you, falling in and out, but never being' 'I've never been in love' 'No, neither have I' Lucy smiled, 'go on, did we miss any you thought were good' 'a couple'.

Lucy had gone before he had noticed, ‘what, no’ John getting in his car and heading for Sky Harbour, Lucy thinking it would be easier if she left quickly, ‘Lucy!’ turning, John running down the airport, ‘why did you leave without saying goodbye?’ ‘I’m not good at endings’ John smiled, ‘me neither, look at me’ tousling ihs long hair, she smiled, ‘what?’ ‘I don’t know, there’s something I wanna do’ ‘me too’ kissing her deeply, holding her cheek softly, ‘at least you’re not patting me on the head’ Lucy murmured, John smiled, ‘I really need you to stick around, well as much as you can on the other side of the planet’ ‘well, you said your work is done for a bit, we could, you could come to England, I don’t know’ he grinned, ‘I’d very much like that, I wanna know you Lucy Caswell’ she laughed, ‘I wanna know you too John O’Callaghan’ kissing him again, he grinned, ‘I’ll be over as soon as I can” ‘I look forward to it’.

John knocked on her door, ‘it took a while to convince the lady in London Liverpool I wanted a ticket to Norwich’ ‘you really need to learn how to say it properly’ John smirked as she let him in one room apartment, ‘I’m sorry, it’s not much’ ‘it has you in it, all I need to know’ John beamed kissing her, falling on her bed removing her shirt, making love after peppering her with kisses, John smiled, ‘you ok?’ ‘hmm, I am’ kissing him softly, ‘you know, Lu’ ‘don’t call me that, that’s the name for a toilet’ John laughed, ‘what do you want me to call you?’ ‘I quite like how you say darling’ he grinned, ‘you know darling’ ‘hmm’ ‘I brought Sartre with me, and I think I need someone on my lap’ she giggled, ‘you’re incredible’ laughing.

-x-

6 months later:-

John smiled, ‘I know it’s a summer tour’ Lucy smiled, ‘it’s fine, I’m a good organiser, I run a kitchen’ he grinned, ‘so maybe I can be useful’ he grinned, ‘me too, and I get to spend time with you’ Lucy smiled, ‘yeah, you do, I get to spend time with you’ kissing him softly, John wrapped his arms round her, ‘I love you’ ‘I love you too’ he grinned kissing passionately, standing on the bus, Lucy dropped her bag on the floor, holding his neck gently, John picking her up, ‘you’re beautiful’ ‘you’re extremely handsome’ ‘you don’t mind the haircut’ ‘I’m a little beyond the haircut, John’ he grinned, ‘I do apologise’ giggling and kissing him softly, ‘come on, show me the ropes, I wanna know what I can possibly do’ ‘let’s figure it out, you could sell merch?’ ‘I don’t mind doing that at all’ he grinned, ‘good’ kissing him, ‘Peter doesn’t really like the fans sometimes’ ‘well, they give him a job’ John smiled, ‘Darling, I tell him that’ he grinned.

Lucy smiled putting the maths and cash together from today and inputting what Pater had asked, John sitting down, ‘you ok?’ ‘I’m ok’ he smiled, ‘I know you’re lying’ ‘John, do you worry about you know us in the future’ ‘I kinda hoped you’d move here’ ‘I agree, I would for you’ ‘so?’ feeling nervous’ ‘please don’t think, I don’t have a degree, I gained my experience by working in different kitchens and working up, to gain citizenship in America in a time that’s sensible, I need a degree and a masters at least’ John nodded, ‘so you can’t’ ‘unless you wanna wait six years’ ‘six years!’ John looked at her, ‘but there is one way to ermm, speed it up’ ‘what, I’ll do it, what?’ ‘you’d have to, this is not a hint’ ‘what?’ ‘you’d have to marry me’ John grinned, ‘Lucy, darling, you have nothing to worry about’ she giggled, ‘really?’ ‘Really’ he smiled taking her hand, ‘give me some time, I have a place of my own now’ Lucy smiled, ‘I know’ ‘good’ he grinned.

Jared looked at him, ‘you seem different’ ‘I am, Lucy to move here would have to wait years to come here, to be able to move here’ Jared nodded, ‘if she was married to you, be different’ ‘exactly, I know she’s the one for me, Jar’ ‘right’ ‘I wanna marry her, to me it’s not a sacrifice’ Jared smiled, ‘I think you’re right, are you sure?’ ‘I’m sure’ John grinned, ‘I want her with me, and she’s willing’ Jared smiled, ‘talk to her about it, you need to be ready for that, Johnoh’ ‘I know’ Lucy listening, she smiled weakly then coming on board, ‘guys, you need to be at the AP tent five minutes ago’ ‘shit’ moving along the bus and following Peter off the bus Lucy sat down, John smiled coming back, ‘you look worried’ ‘sorry, I’m not, just promise me you won’t rush into anything’ ‘I promise’ ‘you make great records, cos you have depth and thought’ ‘thank you’ Jared smiled nodding.

'You alright?' 'Yes, loving this tour' John grinned, 'we go to Vegas soon' 'don't get any ideas' 'and home' 'our home, soon eventually' John smiled, 'I wanna marry you, Lucy Caswell, are you willing to be my wife?' 'I am willing, John' he grinned, 'I know you're right for me, but it's just a huge change for me, and I need to prepare things' John smiled, 'I have a family in England, and If we have that first fight who do I go to, it scares me a little' John took her hand, 'what if we never argue?' he grinned, 'why would we change now?' Lucy chuckled, 'you make a good point, it's just another continent, I know you're right for me, John' he grinned, 'good then, I need to get you a ring then' he grinned, 'don't be ridiculous, please?' John laughed, 'I will be as ridiculous as I like' 'I swear, I'm tweeting you from now on' he grinned, 'Lucy, you're the only person I follow' 'I know, the tweets I get' John laughed.

Lucy helped as much as possible on tour, but if anything she was bored often wandering cities and streets and taking in as much as she could of the USA, John smiled, ‘you’re bored aren’t you?’ ‘I’m not, I’m with you, just, it’s a lot of waiting and you know me, John I’m not a sitting on a bus kind of girl’ he grinned, ‘I know, it’s why I love you, I’m sorry I can’ drive you somewhere pleasant’ ‘it’s fine you drive me crazy instead’ John laughed, ‘thank you’ holding her hand, the ring sparkled on her finger, ‘I’m told blue sapphires are really popular cos Prince William’ John shrugged, ‘I just thought, if you want to, when we tour in Europe, you can come with us, and see your folks and stuff’ John smiled, ‘I wanna see your sister again, she’s fucking hilarious’ Lucy smirked, ‘don’t encourage her’ laughing, ‘she recognised me’ ‘I’ll never live that down’ laughing.

John looked at her, ‘what?’ ‘this, how drunk were we?’ John looking at the paper blurrily, ‘oh my god, we got married in Vegas?’ John murmured, Jared throwing his curtain open, as Lucy rubbed her face, ‘they gave us a dvd of the bloody thing John!’ he smirked, ‘well, two birds and all that’ ‘John O’Callaghan’ hitting him with a pillow, he grinned, ‘you know what we did before after you did that’ John winked, ‘Mrs O’Callaghan’ Lucy blushed, ‘you’re a dick, I’m in love with you, but you’re a dick’ John smirked, ‘I’m in love with you to, you’re crazy blonde, but I’m insanely in love with you’ she giggled, ‘goddamn’ giggling, ‘we need better rings, my finger is green’ ‘mine too’ laughing, ‘amazing, I was there’ watching their wedding, ‘we look sober’ ‘we forgot we got married’ laughing.

-x-

three years later:-

Lucy smiled as Vee stood on their doorstep, ‘come in Vee’ ‘I came to see my nephew John, and my brother in law, John’ Lucy smirked ‘and of course, my sister J-, I mean Lucy’ John hearing in the kitchen and laughing, ‘Vee, it’s good to see you’ ‘it’s good to see you too’ after hugging Lucy, ‘so my nephew’ Lucy smiled, ‘he’s lying over there’ ‘he’s adorable’ caressing his cheek, he gurgled ‘hello, it’s nice to meet you pudding’ Lucy smiled, ‘how are you, Vee?’ ‘Me and my husband have now adopted a little girl, I hope when you come back to Europe, you’ll meet Lily’ John grinned, ‘how is Alex?’ ‘he’s great, he’s doing this reading books to be awesome dad thing right now I wonder who I married sometimes’ John laughed, ‘but he has his heart in the right place, I think Lily is making him you know want things perfect’ ‘know the feeling’ ‘exactly’.

John smiled as Lucy snuggled, ‘it’s so good to have her here’ ‘If she moved here, would not be mad’ laughing, ‘no, me neither, she’s good at what she does’ ‘what does she do?’ ‘She works for the MP in Norwich, does her casework, works on campaigns, marketing, everything’ John smiled, ‘that’s good, could work for 8123’ ‘John’ ‘sorry, well to be honest, she could work in Europe for us’ John smirked, ‘I wouldn’t mind that’ Lucy smiled, ‘I don’t know if she’d ever more here though’ Vee smiled laying in bed, she knocked on their door, ‘I heard you talking’ John smiled, ‘sorry’ ‘no need, come in’ Vee sitting on their bed, ‘you miss family, don’t you?’ ‘I do’ ‘Nan has passed, you were there, you know, I’ve got nothing to stay for, if I got a work permit from 8123’ John grinned, ‘I’d be able to stay with my family’ ‘would Alex be ok with it?’ ‘I think so’ making plans.

they lived happily.