Stories Yet to Unfold.

Fights.

Lucy worked in the kitchen filling muffin cases, and putting them in the oven, ‘Lucy hurry up’ ‘they’re in the oven’ setting the timer, and heading off, ‘stay on the till’ ‘yes, Miss’ John coming in, ‘you look tired’ ‘early mornings’ she grinned, ‘what can I get you?’ ‘Is she always that rude to you’ Lucy shaking her head subtlely, John nodded, ‘just a latte and a blueberry muffin’ ‘coming up’ making coffee and hearing a beeper, ‘one second with the muffin’ putting down his latte and running off, putting the muffins on the rack and taking him a hot one, ‘here, they’re warm’ he grinned. John smiled as she buzzed around, ‘do you do everything?’ ‘I have no time to answer your question’ John nodded as she disappeared again, ‘when do you have time?’ ‘Five, I suspect’ ‘can I buy you a drink?’ Lucy looked at him, ‘are you sure?’ ‘I’m sure’ he grinned, ‘okay then’ he beamed, ‘good’ finishing his muffin, ‘what’s quick?’ ‘Tea?’ ‘One of those’ he grinned, ‘I need a reason to stay for another forty’. 

John smiled, ‘she treats you like shit’ ‘I have autism, getting a job and having that is impossible and my parents don’t want me to work, they don’t think I’m prepared for that and I love to cook, and yeah, I do this in spite of them’ John smiled as she sipped her drink, ‘did you go to university?’ ‘I did, I went to Baltimore, went to Baltimore International School’ John grinned, ‘why so far?’ ‘I love a band from there and it was one of the few schools which had a good support system for those with my needs’ John smiled, ‘do you like All Time Low’ ‘I’m rumbled, I sort of love and hate them at the same time’ John laughing ‘I totally get that’ ‘I sort of like acoustic stuff lately, I blame my dad and his Tom Petty obsession’ John laughing, ‘me too’ ‘really?’ ‘Hmm’ ‘what’s your favourite?’ ‘I Won’t Back Down, maybe?’ ‘Hmm, The Apartment Song was my degree’ John laughing, ‘but I think Wildflowers, the title track’ talking about music, ‘I’m in a band called The Maine’ ‘oh, really?’ ‘Yeah’ ‘I own your music, but my job sort of, I’m either too tired or underpaid’ ‘I understand’ talking. 

‘Why not come to the free tour?’ ‘I had a ticket, but I was too tired to go’ John shook his head, ‘you should find something that makes you happy’ Lucy smiled, ‘I’m saving at the moment to open a tea shop, I have this sort of obsession with England, and I want to open in Scottsdale, they’ll like it there’ John grinned, ‘I’ll hire hopefully someone like myself, allow more people to have access to do what they love’ Lucy murmured, John grinned, ‘are you paid okay?’ ‘I am indeed, she can go and torture someone else soon’ John laughing with her. Lucy smiled, ‘thank you’ ‘your autism, how does it manifest, cos you seemed fine’ Lucy nodded, ‘I tend to be quite aromantic, I suppose, not good with personal stuff’ John laughed, ‘join the club, sorry’ giggling together, ‘I tend to obsess over things, to be honest I was in my teens before I was diagnosed’ ‘wow’ taking her home, ‘thank you’ ‘no need, I’ll call’ ‘thank you’. 
-x-

John grinned, ‘this is the band’ ‘ahh, cool’ ‘what did you bring?’ ‘Well, they’re you friends, I thought I should make a good impression, so I made hot chocolate cupcakes’ John smiled, ‘you bake nervous?’ ‘It’s always made me feel better?’ John grinned, ‘Pat?’ ‘Hmm?’ ‘Lucy’s a baker, she brought cupcakes’ ‘really?’ Pat joining them, ‘take one?’ ‘They look incredible’ ‘thank you’ Pat taking one, ‘oh, god that’s good, that’s like cocoa in cake form’ ‘that’s the aim!’ John grinned taking one, ‘oh, God that’s good, please say they’re going on your menu for your tea shop’ ‘I intend to’ ‘awesome’ ‘you’re going to have a tea shop?’ ‘Eventually’ John grinned, ‘you’ll do good’ ‘thank you’ he grinned. ‘So, where do you work now?’ ‘I work at Foundry’s, but I wouldn’t recommend it, cos my boss is kinda evil’ Pat laughing, ‘how come you work there?’ ‘It’s a long story’ John smiled as she shared them round, ‘I like her, John’ ‘thank you Jared’ ‘such good cake’ ‘glad you approve’ laughing. 

Lucy smiled as John and Jared took a seat as she rushed around, ‘hello?’ John grinned, ‘I know you work better if no one is around’ ‘it’s fine, I’m on top of everything’ ‘good, is your boss here?’ ‘No’ taking an order for them and getting them, ‘you better be working Lucy, I don’t pay you to dilly dally in my kitchen’ Jared’s jaw dropped, ‘did she?’ ‘Ooh, yes’ John murmured. Lucy smiled getting her things, ‘Me and Jared want to help you?’ ‘Sorry?’ Lucy murmured, ‘we don’t have a long term investment thing, and we’d like to help you’ ‘you would?’ ‘If you don’t mind us owning half or something?’ Jared asked, ‘no, no, I don’t mind at all’John grinned, ‘if it means me not woring here any more, I don’t mind’ ‘do you have a place in mind?’ ‘I do indeed, I’ll send my business plan to you now if you give me your emails’ Lucy sending her plan to them, ‘there you go’ John grinned, ‘how much do you need?’ ‘I have 3k already, so about two thousand’ John smiled, ‘if we’re putting in less than you, we’ll have a smaller share’. 

‘I want this place’ ‘do you have the cash?’ ‘I do indeed’ Lucy smiled passing a cheque over to him, ‘good, it’s all yours’ Lucy reading the contracts and signing, getting her first cafe and handing in her notice. Lucy prepared stuff, getting secondhand things in and painting things, hanging art on the walls, John smiled bring in the furniture she wanted, ‘thank you’ ‘no problem, quite enjoyed the trip to be honest’ helping him set the tables and chairs up, ‘thank you’ ‘no problem’ he grinned. ‘So, what’s the menu?’ ‘I am making coffee, as you can see from the barista set, cakes themed around hot drinks, early grey shortbread, cocoa cupcakes, and coffee and walnut loaf and then I am going to make some traditional English pastries, a collection of teas and coffee’ John smiled, ‘cold drinks and some imported beers’ John grinned, ‘hence that, and a range of sandwiches to order, including Ploughmans’ ‘awesome’ talking. 

-x-

John smiled, ‘you opened and you’re full’ a girl coming out, ‘oh, John, this is Sylvia my assistant out front here, I just came out to fill the front up so she can do her thing’ John grinned, ‘nice to meet you Sylvia’ ‘nice to meet you too’ he grinned, ‘I love the Christmas things’ ‘thank you’ he grinned, ‘you look busy?’ ‘We are, it’s going really well’ ‘I’m really happy for you’ ‘thank you’ he grinned, ‘I love you’ ‘I love you too’ he grinned ordering some food, ‘what’s a club sandwich?’ Sylvia giving him the rundown, ‘could I have one of those please’ ‘absolutely’ sending it through to Lucy, who was very calm and collected as she worked in the kitchen preparing food, taking it to John, ‘thank you’ ‘no problem’ he grinned as Lucy saw more customers come in, knowing things had turned around fast and she was glad for it. John smiled helping her with her jacket after cashing up, and locking up, ‘all good’ ‘all good’ Lucy smiled kissing him, ‘come home with me?’ ‘Anything you want’. 

Lucy looked out, ‘Sylvia, you called?’ ‘This gentleman wants one of everything, but we just ran out of your shortcake’ ‘there’s some cooking in the oven, I apologise for this’ ‘no problem, don’t mind waiting’ Lucy smiled as Sylvia served the rest Lucy cooling a shortbread down with her bare hands. ‘I apologise for the delay’ ‘no problem, you’re an inspired cooking, I love how each cakes works with different drinks’ ‘I like being inventive, but keeping it classic’ Lucy smiled answering any questions the lady had recognising her from the paper as the reviewer of food. ‘What did you do before this?’ ‘I went to Baltimore International College and studied Culinary Arts, I then returned home to Phoenix and worked at the Foundry Cafe and did all their baking there, I then wanted my own place and I’ve always loved English pastries and cakes and so I opened this place up’  Lucy smiled, ‘so, has anything stopped you?’ ‘I have autism, for me cooking is how I control my symptoms, baking is my obsession’ talking. 

‘This write up about you, is incredible you come across as amazing, I knew that but then she says all your food is completely badass’ ‘she does indeed, I’ve framed it and put it on the wall in the cafe, I kept one to myself and sent one to my mum’ John high fiving her in bed, ‘I love you’ ‘I love you too, thank you for helping me’ he grinned ‘no need, you’re amazing’ Lucy nodded, ‘I will try my best to be good at this stuff’ John grinned, ‘me too’ kissing her softly. Lucy got into the cafe, ‘hey Sylvia’ ‘hey Lucy, I knocked that guy out’ Lucy looking, ‘how?’ ‘He was trying to rob us, the police are coming’ ‘wow’ talking, ‘it was self defence, you should be proud of yourself’ ‘I’ll get the cctv’ Lucy murmured, ‘is she okay?’ ‘Sylvia has autism, how she reacts to things is a little different’ ‘of course’ Lucy nodded, seeing her begin to cry, ‘it’s okay, thank you for what you did’ ‘I just wanted to keep my job’ ‘and you definitely did, it’s okay’ thinking, wow, this was some beginning of the week. 
-x-
6 months later:-

John grinned, ‘hey’ ‘hey John’ kissing him, ‘how was tour?’ ‘it was good’ ‘I have beepers on me, I’ll get a drink and join you’ he grinned as she paid for a couple of beers and slid him over, ‘tell me’ talking together about his tour, loving how she asked good questions and how her head tilted at him when he was being interesting, ‘I missed your laugh’ ‘I missed yours’ he grinned, ‘and I missed that my Jim Beam’ one of her alarms going off, ‘my shortbread are done, excuse me’ ‘no need’ seeing her go in to the kitchen. John smiled picking up her bag for her, ‘thank you’ ‘no problem’ he grinned walking with her, ‘so, got any requests?’ ‘I have to make some phone calls when I get home?’ ‘Okay’ John smiled, heading home in her car, his head bumping the roof as they arrived he saw her giggle when he did it, ‘it’s not funny’ ‘I’m sorry, my darling BFG’ John smirked, heading inside, ‘you are in so much trouble my darling’ heading for the bedroom making love all night.
 
Lucy smiled ‘I’m glad you’re shut on a Sunday’ Lucy laughing, ‘me too’ John snuggling into her, Lucy smiled running her fingers on him gently, ‘what have you done to your fingers?’ ‘I’ve been learning guitar when I’m not working and I forget plectrums exist, so I busted some fingers, I have some now’ John beamed, ‘you’ve been doing that?’ ‘When I miss you I get my guitar for dummies and acoustic and teach myself’ John grinned, ‘when I miss you I write you poems’ ‘can I see some?’ ‘I brought you some postcards like you ask me too, and I wrote them on there’ John passing her a pile, Lucy grinned reading them wiping her eyes, ‘I do think you’re a treasure, you deserve so much more than you have’ he smiled, ‘I have you, you’re what I deserve’ ‘you deserve better, I’m weird’ John shook his head, ‘I love you for it’ he grinned pulling her close, ‘I don’t care what your mum says, I know when you’ve seen her’ ‘she thinks I should go home and stop before I fail’ ‘Lucy, you won’t’ ‘thank you’ he grinned, ‘you don’t have to worry’ ‘thank you’. 

Lucy sneaked behind the Marquee, ‘who are you?’ ‘I ermm, I’m a baker and I made a cake for their anniversary for the album, I hoped I could bring it for them?’ ‘You’re a baker’ ‘google Lucy Caswell Phoenix Times’ the man going on his phone, ‘ok then’. Alex smiled, ‘you have cake?’ ‘I’m a big fan and a baker, I kinda just, I know you’re in AZ for the So Wrong anniversary, so ermm, yeah, happy ten years’ Alex grinned, ‘she’s good’ the guy who led her in passing his phone, ‘are you a huge fan’ ‘with the music, ermm, I have autism, I tend to obsess things, unfortunately for you were my first with cooking’ Alex laughing ‘I’m a pretty good cook, this looks incredible and three layers’ ‘I assumed that you’d share’ Alex laughing, ‘of course, I’m Alex’ ‘I’d shake your hand but’ ‘of course’ taking the cake. ‘You made this?’ ‘Yeah, I did’ ‘do you have a business’ ‘I own a tearoom in Scottsdale’.

‘Your hands okay?’ ‘Learning guitar, my boyfriend he’s a singer, plays guitar, when he’s gone I miss him so to distract me I learn guitar’ Alex grinned, ‘that’s cute’ ‘haha, I’m not very good at romantic stuff, but I try, he’s not good at it either to be honest’ trailing off, ‘I better go, thank you for another awesome set, I hate crowds’ Alex laughing, ‘what band is your boyfriend in?’ ‘The Maine’ ‘John’ ‘how did you guess?’ ‘I just know’ laughing a little, ‘I have some time before we go tomorrow may I see your tearoom?’ ‘Of course, you are more than welcome’ he grinned. John grinned seeing her come in, ‘well?’ ‘It went amazing, they plugged the tearoom, loved the cake, I didn’t have to stand in a massive crowd, it all worked out well to be honest’ John grinned, ‘I’m in love with you’ ‘I’m in love with you too, apparently they got cake with, I don’t even wanna, I feel a little nauseous about it’ John laughing, ‘hair though, ew’ John laughing.

Alex smiled as she sorted a table for them, ‘oh my God, I like this place’ ‘all the beer is british’ ‘Jack, it’s got a British theme’ ‘oh, yeah, course’ he smiled, ‘do you get any issues with that?’ ‘No, actually, probably because this part of America wasn’t a British colony, your side was, Mexico and this area was run by Spain, but people don’t really care, I have a good reputation’ ‘oh my god Club Sandwich’ ‘that made me hungry too’ Lucy smiled, ‘how many’ ‘eight’ ‘this may take some time’ Alex laughing passing her two hundred, ‘that’s too much’ ‘it’s not enough, and some of those, please’ ‘of course’ he grinned as she got them together for Alex. John popped his head in, ‘Lucy?’ ‘Oh, John’ he grinned ‘oh, hello’ ‘John, you lucky bastard you have this lady making you club sandwiches and muffins’ ‘she does the best pancakes in the world’ Lucy laughing, ‘thank you’ ‘no problem’ he grinned. 

John grinned ‘I’m thinking of doing a breakfast menu, I think pancakes are on that menu’ laughing together, ‘I love you Lucy’ ‘I love you too John’ he grinned, ‘I don’t wanna spend a life without you’ John grinned looking at her, ‘I feel the same about you’ ‘I know I’m pretty rubbish’ ‘darling you are perfect to me’ ‘well, you’re perfect to me too’ he grinned kissing her, ‘we’re going to be just fine’ ‘thank you’ he grinned, ‘do you want a family?’ ‘I do, I want to prove my mother wrong on everything, but I also want a good excuse to go zoos and swings’ John laughing, ‘yeah, I do love you’ laughing. Lucy waking up and heading for tearooms, filling up with people, ‘Sylvia, I think we’re gonna need to get you an assistant’ ‘please’ ‘I’ll put an advert out’ ‘thank you’ laughing, ‘you can be the manager, out here’ ‘thank you’ talking together, making plans. 
-x-
3 years later:-

John grinned as she came on board with Violet, ‘my little girl’ John grinned taking her, ‘hello’ ‘dadda’ ‘yes, it’s dad!’ John holding her, Lucy smiled, ‘she missed you’ ‘I missed her too, and I missed my wife’ John kissing her softly, ‘I love you Lucy O’Callaghan’ kissing her again, ‘I know how much you like saying it’ ‘I can’t believe someone as amazing as you is my wife’ ‘I think the same about my husband’ he grinned, ‘how’s it’s going with the cafe?’ ‘Good, yeah, thank you’ he beamed, ‘how’s the tearoom’ ‘good, awesome, yeah, I’ve opened a second social enterprise’ ‘oh?’ ‘I have worked with Colby to open a music studio for young people, low rates, high quality, get young bands the chance to record their music’ ‘that’s amazing’ ‘thank you, a lot of it is DIY, but Colby he gives his time to work with young bands and does some mixing’ ‘that’s awesome’ talking together, ‘I love you’ ‘I love you too’.

Lucy smiled getting home from the home show, John falling on the bed, Lucy smiled kissing him softly, ‘I love you’ ‘I love you too, you’re still as beautiful as the day I met you’ Lucy grinned, ‘you’re still just as handsome’ ‘I must have seemed such a creep’ ‘you would if I’d ever thought you were creeping, I never anticipated you would want to be with me’ John grinned, ‘I definitely do’ ‘I’m so glad I know that now’ kissing softly making love. Lucy heard the bell, ‘hello?’ ‘Oh, I’m from DCF, I’m Charlotte Grey’ ‘of course come in, Violet is being fed by her dad right now’ ‘we were told she might be being neglected’ ‘sounds like my mother, but sure’ ‘why?’ ‘I’m autistic, and she seems to believe I am incapable of everything cos of it, but I run my own business, and I have a daughter and I run a social enterprise, and I’m married, nothing satisfies her, why I go to Jenny, my husband’s mother’ showing her round. 

‘You seem to be doing great, she seems very happy, her doctor says she’s incredibly healthy, I don’t understand’ ‘Lucy’s mum, if it was her, she’s always treated her poorly, it took a long time for me to convince her that I’d want to be with her, if anyone should have had you going around, it’s Lucy, when she was younger’ ‘I’m doing what she didn’t’ Lucy smiled, ‘you run the English tea room?’ ‘I do indeed’ ‘my daughter she loves that place, she had her first date with her husband there, they buy a box of Earl Grey shortcake every month on their anniversary’ Lucy grinned, ‘your daughter is Samantha?’ ‘You know’ ‘I know all my regulars’ talking and seeing her out, ‘damn’ John murmured, Lucy wiping her eyes, ‘babe, we’ll do this’ ‘I know’. 
they lived happily.