Status: Not completed

Teenage Dirtbag

Hopeless dreamers singing wishes to their broken stereo

After school, I decided to text Haley to ask if she wanted to go to Zack's party, as I knew how much it would mean to Alex, even though they would probably hardly speak all night.

Hey Hales, wanna come with me to a party at a friend of Alex's?

After I sent the text, I walked towards my car to go home. Before I even got in, my phone already beeped.

You're going to a party? Really living it up, aren't you? Sure, I'll come, do I know him? Where is it?

I smiled. I wasn't really the kind of guy that went to a lot of parties. Mostly because I didn't often get invited, and because I felt awkward around people I didn't know. Since I didn't know that many people at most parties, or well, not that many people knew me, I'd usually rather just stay home and play videogames instead of going to a party. I pressed reply.

I don't know the guy either, his name is Zack though. He lives in Baltimore but I don't know where, Alex will pick me up at 8

I got in my car and drove home, which wasn't very far, but I could not be bothered to walk to school. While I was going through our kitchen cabinet in search of something edible, my phone beeped again.

Oh wow, a party thrown by someone you don't even know? You're starting to scare me Barakat! I'll be at your place around 8 then

I decided to text Alex to let him know she was coming. He'd be so thrilled. To be honest, I was looking forward to a party. Maybe it was about time I got to know some new people, maybe even a cute girl to help me get over Aimee. And it would be fun to watch Alex be super awkward around Haley all night.

Nailed it, she's coming! Do you love me or what?

Alex replied very quickly, as if he had been waiting for my text all day. Which, now that I thought about it, probably was the case.

Yes! You're the best. And you know I will always love you

I sniggered.

Is that so? Then why did you make me invite Haley tonight? :(

Before I could put my phone back in my pocket it beeped again.

As a cover up of course. I'll see you and our cover up tonight, my love

I couldn't help but laugh. Alex was such a weirdo.

You're weird. See you at 8!

A couple of hours later I was all dressed up, waiting for Alex and Haley to arrive. Well, all dressed up.. I didn't really look that different from how I usually look at school in these jeans and this shirt, but at least I showered. When the doorbell rang, I rushed downstairs. I was home alone, and I wouldn't want to keep whoever it was waiting for too long. When I reached the hallway I opened the door, to find Haley standing behind it. "Hey Hales!" I exclaimed, pulling her in for a hug.
When I let her go again I noticed something was different about her. Then I saw what it was.
"What did you do to your hair?! It's blue!" I exclaimed.
"Oh my god, really?!" Haley exclaimed sarcastically. "I know, it's supposed to be"
"Oh" I muttered. "Well, it's actually kinda cool."
"Thanks. Want me to dye your hair blue as well?" Haley joked.
"It's not that cool" I said shaking my head. "But come in, Alex isn't here yet"
I stepped out of the doorway and let her enter.
"Want something to drink?" I asked.
She shook her head. "Alex will probably be here soon. So hey, did you think about our conversation earlier?"
"Will you just stop being so pushy already?" I asked slightly irritated. "How are my feelings for Aimee any of your business?"
"Because I have to keep looking at that lovestruck face of yours and it's annoying" she said simply.
I was about to defend myself as the bell rang. "Let's go" I said I walked to the hallway to open the door for Alex.
Haley followed me. I opened the door, revealing Alex. Haley showed up next to me.
"Haley!" Alex exclaimed. "Your hair is blue!"
"Yeah, I know" Haley replied bored.
"Can I touch it?" Alex asked.
"Dude, what..." I started, but before I could finish my sentence he already started poking Haley's head.
"Alex" she groaned. "Touch my hair one more time and I'll make sure you'll never be able to touch anything again."
"You're so pretty when you're angry, even with blue hair" Alex joked.
"Can we go now?" Haley asked, looking at me.
We went outside, I locked up and we got in Alex's car. I really didn't know why Alex was in love with Haley. She wasn't exactly nice to him. But well, who am I to talk, at least she does speak to him. After about ten minutes of driving, Alex pulled over at a house. Judging from the amount of cars and the noise coming from the house, there were already quite a lot of people. We got out of the car and followed Alex towards the front door, which had been left open, probably because our host didn't feel like having to open the door every 5 minutes.
"Nice house" I noticed, as we approached it. Haley and I followed Alex inside.
"So, who exactly is your friend? Should we go introduce ourselves?" Haley said.
"Yeah you probably should" Alex said, scanning the room in search of Zack. "There he is!"
Alex started walking towards Zack and we had to rush to keep up with him.
"Zack!" Alex exclaimed when we almost reached him, pushing through the crowd.
A guy who must be Zack turned around, and came walking up to us.
"Hey Alex, good to see you" he said. "Who are your friends?"
"These are my friends Jack and Haley. I hope it's okay I brought them?" Alex asked.
"Yeah of course, the more, the merrier" Zack said smiling. "Oh, hey, I had a question. Didn't you play guitar?"
"Uhm yeah kind of" Alex replied. "Why?"
"Well, me and a friend of mine want to start a band. Now, I play bass, and he's a drummer, but we don't have a guitarist. Nor a singer actually, but well.." Zack explained.
"You want me in your band?" Alex asked surprise.
"Well, I'd love to see what you got" Zack answered. "Why don't you come over tomorrow to try out?"
"Uhm sure! Though I must say my friend here is a better guitar player than I am" Alex said, pointing at me. I smiled uncomfortably as Zack looked at me.
"Why don't you both try out?" Zack asked. "If you want of course?"
Alex and I nodded enthusiastically.
"But you were still in need of a singer as well?" Haley asked. Zack nodded. "Because Alex is actually a pretty good singer"
Alex and I both looked at Haley surprised. I'm pretty sure this was the first time she ever complimented Alex.
"Well, I'd like to see that too, then" Zack said. "Oh, hey Rian!" He gestured another boy about our age to come over.
"I just might have completed our band" Zack told him with a big smile.
"Oh, is that so?" Rian asked, "I'm Rian by the way".
We all introduced ourselves.
"Yeah, Jack and Alex both play guitar and Alex can sing apparently. I invited them over to try out for the band tomorrow"
"Okay cool!" Rian said. "Then I'll see you guys tomorrow I suppose!"
♠ ♠ ♠
Haley's clothes