Status: Not completed

Teenage Dirtbag

Why can't Thursday last forever

Jack's POV
​​​It was Thursday night and we were having a movienight at Alex’s. Aimee wasn’t here as she had plans with her friends and didn’t want to cancel to tell them she was hanging with us. Sigh. We were lying on a bunch of mattresses that covered the floor. Zack wasn’t there either because he apparently had a date. We tried to convince him to bring his date to our movie night but he said he didn’t want us to scare her away. I suppose we couldn’t blame him for that.

Tonight it was just Alex, Haley, Rian, Cassadee, Tay and I. I had to admit I felt sort of lonely amongst all of these couples, or well, close to couples. It appeared the speech I gave Haley last week cleared some stuff up for Alex and I figured they had talked, because they seemed a lot closer again than they had the past few weeks.

I felt sort of awkward sitting here with just Tay to keep me company. Things had been awkward between us for a while. Haley told me she told Tay I knew about her feelings for me, but neither of us had brought up the subject. Tay probably didn’t want to be rejected and to be honest, I didn’t want to be the one to reject her.

​​​​​I hadn’t been too sure about Aimee and my “relationship”, if you could even call it that, since I found out she didn’t want to be seen with me in public. It didn’t seem like the foundation for a happy relationship to me. After almost a week with no talking to each other at school, I found myself thinking maybe I should just call it quits. The fact that I’d been in love with her for years kept me from doing so, thinking I’d end up regretting it. I couldn’t exactly say I was happy with the way things were going now, but maybe I had to give it some more time.

“So with whom is Zack out tonight?” Alex asked, snapping me out of my thoughts.
“Some girl from our school” Rian replied. “I don’t know her name though. They hit it off at the festival last week.”
“Oh, that doesn’t mean anything. So did Jack and Aimee” Alex joked.
I didn’t exactly find it funny.
“Oh shut it Alex, Jack probably feels bad enough about her blowing him off already” Cassadee said.
“Can we just drop the subject before you start talking about how you don’t understand what I like about her?” I groaned. “Thanks.”
They all fell silent and continued watching the movie, which was in fact A Nightmare Before Christmas, even though it was April. Ever since Haley and I had made up, she’d been the only one to not say a single bad word about Aimee, though I was pretty sure she felt the same way about her as the rest of them did. Nonetheless I was glad she had decided to accept, or at least respect, the fact that we might end up dating. Zack really was the only one of my friends who liked Aimee. It couldn’t be easy for him to hear how most of his friends despise his cousin either.

​​​​​​From what I’d heard Zack and Aimee had always been close growing up, kinda like me and Haley, except they had been growing apart for the last few years. All Time Low kind of brought them back together, even though that was, if I were to believe Alex, just because Aimee was a band slut. Sometimes my insecurity got the best of me, causing me to believe Aimee really did only like me because I was in a band, but I always shrugged that thought off. We really did have fun when we hang out together, even if we couldn’t do so in public. It wasn’t all fake, that I was sure of.

Haley’s POV
After we finished the movie, we decided to go back upstairs, to the living room and order some pizzas. Alex’s parents went to some party so we had the house to ourselves. While I ordered a couple of pizzas, Alex turned on his PlayStation to play some games with Rian. Cassadee and Tay were with them, but I wasn’t sure where Jack was.
“Does anyone know where Jack is?” I asked, as I walked into the living room after ordering the pizzas from the kitchen where the menu hang.
“Outside” Alex answered, without looking up from the game.
“Why is he outside?” I asked, causing Alex to turn to me.
“That, is a good question, I don’t know” he answered.

​​​​I shook my head and turned to head outside through the backdoor. I found Jack sitting on a bench on the porch.
‘What are you doing outside? It’s not exactly warm out here” I asked him.
“Needed some air” he answered.
I walked over to the bench and sat down next to him. “What’s up?”
“Nothing” he muttered.
“Cut the crap Jack, you know you’re gonna have to do better than that to convince me.” I said.
He sighed. “I just… I don’t know… I’m not sure Aimee is the right girl for me.”
I decided to keep quiet. I knew she wasn’t, but I didn’t think he’d want to hear that right now.

​​​“Well, I’m surprised you didn’t agree with that right away” Jack attempted to joke.
“You see, I know when it’s a good time to say something and when it’s not” I answered. “You know how I feel about her, no need to keep on repeating it. But why the sudden change of heart?”
“Because she doesn’t want to be seen with me, I guess…” he replied.
“And it took you a week to realize that?” I asked, furrowing my eyebrows.

​​​“I guess I just hoped she’d change her mind. All I know is that I’m not happy with the way things are going between us right now” he said.
“Then change it” I said simply.
“But how?” he asked.
“I’d say the obvious answer is break up with her. Or well, you’re not actually dating, but well, just end it” I said.
“But I’m afraid I’ll regret it if I do so” Jack muttered.

​​​“Oh come on Jack, you gotta live a little. If you don’t do anything you might end up regretting you’re gonna have one hell of a boring life” I said.
“Coming from the one who’s afraid to be with Alex because she doesn’t want him to hurt her” Jack remarked.
“Hey, we’ve been working on that. Alex and I had a long talk after band practice last week and we’re getting there okay? We’re talking about you now” I said. “You could also give her an ultimatum.”
“An ultimatum?” Jack asked confused.
“Yeah, tell her that she has to choose between her dignity or you” I said.
“Her dignity? Why thank you very much Hales” Jack said, faking offense.
“I didn’t mean it like that. Just put her on the spot. Tell her to either confess to the whole fucking school you’re dating or you’ll break up with her. Easy as that” I explained.

​​​“But what if she just laughs in my face?” he asked unsure.
“Then I’ll kick her ass. Even though I despise her, I do think she has some feelings for you. If she likes you as much as you think she does, she’ll care. If not, then you really are better off without her, Jack” I answered. “I know it’s none of my business but I won’t be a witness to her using you like this.”
“Did you just use We Are The In Crowd lyrics?” Jack asked laughing.
“Maybe” I smiled. “But really Jack, if she doesn’t make you happy, end it and find someone who will okay? You deserve it.”
“Fine, I’ll think about it” Jack answered.
​​​I pulled him in for a side hug.​​​
“I suppose that’s all I can ask for. Also, can we please go inside? I’m getting cold.”
Jack smiled. “Fine, come on you goof.”

​​​We both got up and went back inside, to find the pizzas had already been delivered and almost entirely eaten as well.
“How nice of you to leave some for us” I noticed.
“Yeah, you were taking forever. We were starting to think you had just left to go hang with your cooler friends” Alex answered.
“No, we’ll be doing that tomorrow night” Jack answered.
We both grabbed one of the few pizza slices left. I sat down next to Alex, who lay his arm around my shoulder.
“You’re not cheating on me with Jack right?” Alex asked, but from the look on his face I could tell he was kidding.

​​​Alex knew Jack’s and my friendship was something special that I wouldn’t just give up on because I had a boyfriend. I didn’t actually have a boyfriend yet either. Alex knew if he’d chose to date me, Jack would come with it, whether he liked it or not.
“I have been, actually, sorry” I answered shrugging.
“Dammit. Now you have to give me your pizza to make up for your infidelity” Alex said.
“Hell no, you already had half a pizza!” I exclaimed, causing Alex to fake a sad face.
“How about I give you this then” I said, leaning into him and kissing his lips quickly.
A smile appeared on his face. “Way better” he nodded.

“Good” I said, before finishing my slice of pizza.​​