Status: Not completed

Teenage Dirtbag

Stop ***ing around with my emotions

Jack’s POV
I was sitting in my room on my own. We had just had diner and I wasn’t really in the mood to do anything other than lie on my bed and feel sorry for myself. I then remembered Tay’s offer and wondered if it would be too desperate to take her up on it already. Well, why wouldn’t I ruin what was left of my dignity if it made me feel better? I put on my shoes and grabbed a hoodie from the floor, as it was still a bit chilly outside at night.

​​​“I’m going to Haley’s for a movie night” I told my parents who were sitting in the living room. I didn’t feel like telling them I was off to Tay’s as it would probably raise quite some questions I didn’t feel like answering.
“Don’t be home to late, sweety” my mom replied.
I grabbed my keys from the cabinet in the hallway and went outside. I unlocked my car, got in and drove off, heading for Tay’s apartment.

​​​​​In about 10 minutes I pulled onto their driveway and killed the engine of my car. I walked up to their front door and rang the doorbell, waiting for Tay to open. The door did indeed open within a few seconds, but it wasn’t Tay who appeared behind it. I had kind of forgotten her whole band lived here when I decided to come over out of the blue. Jordan was standing in front of me, towering over me.
“I’m guessing you’re here for Tay?” he asked, not very friendly.
I simply nodded as I didn’t feel like having a very awkward conversation with the guy.

​​​“Tay, Jack’s here!” Jordan yelled.
“I can’t go to the door like this!” I heard Tay say in another room.
“Tay, he doesn’t like you anyway, go talk to him” I heard another voice say, causing Tay to sigh and after some more noise from the living room, Tay appeared in the hallway. She was dressed in sweatpants and a tank top, her hair in a messy bun and oddly enough wearing glasses. As Tay approached, Jordan went back to the living room.

​​​“I didn’t expect you to come over” Tay shrugged, defending her fashion choice.
“Hey, it's fine, why would I expect you to dress up when you’re not going out? You look fine” I said smiling. “I didn’t know you wore glasses.”
“I usually wear contacts but I took them out already” she explained. “So, to what do I owe the pleasure?”
“I was just wondering if I could borrow some sad movies” I said.

​​​“Come on in, I’ll get you some” she said, stepping out of my way. I went into the living room, followed by Tay, where I found Jordan and Mike playing a videogame on their PlayStation. It was, in fact, a game I myself played quite often as well.
“Well, there you have Jordan and Mike in their natural habitat. They spend about 23 hours out of a day like this” Tay said laughing.

Tay’s POV
Jack seemed interested in the game the boys were playing so I decided to just get some movies. I went to my bedroom. I was the only one to have a bedroom to myself. With the money we earned, we couldn’t afford a very large apartment, so Mike and Rob shared a room and so did Jordan and Cameron.

​​​​​For a moment I hesitated to put on some makeup. I had already taken it off as I showered after we had band practice and there was usually no reason to put it back on. Jack had already seen me without makeup on and if I would put it on now, he probably wouldn’t even notice it or he would think I did it for him – which, to be honest, I kind of would. Either way, I decided not to put on any makeup.

​​​​​I walked over to my bookcase where all of my books, cd’s and DVD’s were in and started going through it for some sad movies. The first DVD I threw on my bed where I decided to gather them, was High Fidelity. It was rather old, but I had watched it after quite some breakups. The next one was a rather obvious choice, The Break-Up.

​​​“How’s it going in here?” I suddenly heard a voice behind me, almost causing me to drop the DVD’s I was holding. I turned around to see Jack standing in the doorway.
“Jesus Christ Jack, you scared me” I said.
“Sorry” he smiled. “Found something?”
“Yeah, a couple actually. How much do you need?”
“Oh these will do” he said, looking at the DVD’s on my bed.
“No, you have to watch this one as well” I said, holding up my DVD of The Holiday.
“That sounds kind of Christmas-y” Jack noticed.
“It is, but it’s just really good” I said, throwing the DVD on the bed.

​​​I noticed Jack looking around my not-so-big bedroom, that I had personalized with posters and photos.
“You play guitar?” Jack asked, gazing at my acoustic guitar in the corner of my room.
“A little” I answered. “Just because it helps me to write songs, but I leave the actual guitar playing to Jordan and Cameron.”
“How are things going for you guys? Anything exciting coming up now that you’re signed to a label?” Jack asked.
“Not really. We will probably be playing some more festivals over the summer and we might start recording an EP soon, but we have to wait till I get some time off from school. The boys are very eager to start but I can’t just miss a couple of weeks of school” I explained.

​​​“Aren’t they in school anymore?” Jack asked.
I shook my head. “No, they’re all in their early twenties and none of them went to college. I mean, they can always go to college if the whole band-thing doesn’t work out, but for now we prefer to give the band try instead of going to college.”
“So how do you even know them, if they’re that much older than you?” Jack asked.

​​​“What is this, a cross examination?” I asked laughing.
Jack shrugged. “I just realized I actually hardly know you and if we're going to be friends, I want to change that” he explained.
“Is that so?” I asked, raising an eyebrow.
Jack simply nodded.
“Fine, I simply auditioned for the band. They were looking for a singer, and by singer, I mean a male singer that was about their age. At that point I was about 13 years old. I loved to sing and since my father just died, I needed a distraction…” I started.

​​​“Wait, your father died?” Jack interrupted me.
I nodded, not looking at him, as I didn’t want to encourage him to continue about this subject. It wasn’t exactly something I liked to talk about.
“See, that’s how little I know about you!” Jack exclaimed. Thankfully, he didn’t ask more questions about my father, so I continued with my story.

​​​“One day when I was at the supermarket with my mom, I read a poster about a band having auditions for a lead singer and I decided to give it a try. I went over to the address on the poster at the time mentioned on it. A lot of cars were parked in front of the house so I figured I wasn’t the only one interested. After I rang the doorbell, Cameron opened up, wondering what I was doing at his house. When I told him I wanted to try out for the band, he literally laughed in my face. If it hadn’t been for Rob convincing the guys to let me try out, I might not have been in the band at all. After my try out they told me they liked my voice, but I wasn’t exactly what they were looking for. I was too young, too female” I said.

​​​“And then, when we couldn’t find anyone else, we came crawling back to her desperately” Mike, who had appeared in the doorway, continued.
“Will you stop eavesdropping?” I asked, throwing a pillow from my bed at his face.
“I just wanted to hear the story” Mike said with a sad face.
I shook my head smiling and turned back to Jack. “Well, that is pretty much the story. They let me in the band and well, the rest is history” I finished the story.

​​​“So you’ve been a band for three years already?” Jack asked.
I nodded. “Yeah, but we’ve only been getting serious for like the last one and a half year. At first it was just a lot of them getting used to well, being around a girl, especially a 13 year old one and then it was a lot of practicing to even sound remotely okay, but I’m pretty proud of where we are now.”
“I can imagine” Jack replied.

​​​“Well, I’ll just go entertain myself as you clearly don’t have time for me” Mike whined.
“Yes, you go do that” I replied.
Mike walked off, leaving me with Jack again.
“So yeah, you should watch these movies” I said after a moment of awkward silence. “Want to take some ice cream with you?”
“Oh no, I’ll buy some myself” Jack replied quickly.

​​​“You sure? We have plenty” I said smiling. “Half of it will probably decay before we can eat it.”
“Then you must have a lot of ice cream” Jack said laughing.
“Oh yeah, what can I say, we just love ice cream” I replied winking. “Let’s go get you some.”
I walked out of my room to the kitchen and opened the freezer.
“What flavor?” I asked.
“Oh anything will do” Jack replied, so I just grabbed a pint of Ben & Jerry’s from the front of our freezer and handed it to Jack. “There you go.”

​​​“You’re an angel” Jack said, causing me to blush. I quickly turned around so that Jack wouldn’t notice my face turning red. I wanted to ask Jack to stay and watch one of the movies with me, but I knew it wasn’t a good idea. I would just get my hopes up for now reason and Jack would probably say no anyway.
“Well, if you ever need to talk to someone, let me know. At least you got your movies and ice cream now, so you should be fine” I joked.
“Yeah” Jack muttered. “Thanks… I should uhm probably get going”
“Yeah probably” I answered, leading him back to the hallway.

​​​“So, I’ll see you tomorrow?” I asked.
“Yeah I suppose so” Jack said. He gave me an awkward hug as his hands were full with stuff and then turned to open the door and went outside.
“Bye Tay” he said softly before turning around and walking towards his car. I leaned against the door frame. He turned around one more time to shortly wave at me, before he got into his car and I went back inside.

​​​Well, that was awkward. I went back to the living room and sat down next to Jordan, who was watching some sitcom.
“You okay?” Jordan asked, turning away from the screen to look at me.
“Yeah I’m fine” I answered.
“Why does Jack come to you to get him over his girlfriend?” he asked.
“Because I told him he could” I said.
Jordan sighed. “Why are you doing this to yourself, Tay?” he asked, before turning back to the television. I figured the question was rhetorically so I didn’t answer and focused on the TV as well.