Status: Not completed

Teenage Dirtbag

On a wire, we were dancing

Haley’s POV
I was woken up by a lot of yelling. Next to me I heard sounds indicating Tay had been woken up by it as well.
“What’s happening?” she muttered half-asleep.
“I don’t know, but let’s find out” I answered, pushing myself up from the mattress. I quickly put on my jeans. Tay did the same and we walked out of her bedroom, into the hallway.

​​​​​It took a few seconds for my eyes to adjust to the bright light. The hallway was crowded with people, but the first thing I noticed was Jack and Jordan who were basically wrestling on the floor.
“What’s going on?” Tay asked loudly, walking up to them.

​​​Alex, Mike, Rob, Cassadee, Zack and Rian turned around when they heard Tay. I followed her over to the group of people.
“Jordan and Jack are fighting” Mike said wryly.
“I can see that. It didn’t cross your mind to, I don’t know, stop them?” Tay asked annoyed.

​​​They all shrugged and Tay seemed to be on her own to separate the boys fighting on the floor. I decided to go and help her and followed her to where Jack and Jordan were on the floor, trying to pull them apart. Since we weren’t that strong, we couldn’t, until Rian and Zack decided to come help us. With their help we separated the two of them and pulled them onto their feet, a few feet from each other.

​​​“What the hell is this?” Tay asked, looking from Jack to Jordan.
“Jordan won’t let me sleep in your room” Jack answered.
“And you’re seriously fighting about that? Why don’t you go sleep on the couch instead of waking me up” I groaned.

​​​“Yeah Jack, why don’t you?” Jordan asked triumphantly.
Jack narrowed his eyes and seemed as if he was about to attack Jordan again.
“Jordan, what is your fucking problem?” Tay exclaimed. “You’re not my father, you don’t get to say what I can and cannot do! I told you to stay out of it, yet here you are, not staying out of it.”

While they were arguing, Alex came stumbling up to me.
“Well, as if you hadn’t already drank enough when I went to bed” I sighed.
“Y-you look really p-pretty” Alex slurred.
I raised my eyebrows. My hair was probably really messy and I had to look as tired as I felt.
“I don’t but thanks” I replied, while looking at Jordan, Jack and Tay who were still discussing who was wrong in this situation. I was too tired to deal with a drunk Alex.

​​​“I l-love you” he suddenly said.
My attention immediately went back to Alex as I felt a shiver run down my spine. Did he just say he loved me? But he is drunk, so does he? Should I say it back?
“I’m g-gonna go to sleep, c-care to share a m-mattress?” Alex asked before I could think of what I had to say.
“Uh sure” I replied and Alex walked off to Tay’s bedroom.

​​​I realized this would be the first time Alex and I would spend the night together. Of course Tay would be there and Alex would probably fall asleep immediately, but I still got a bit nervous.
While Tay was still yelling at Jordan, I realized I didn’t see Rachel. I walked up to Cassadee, Zack and Rian who were watching Tay, Jack and Jordan with Mike and Rob.

​​​“Where’s Rachel?” I asked them.
“Uhm… I think she’s in Jordan and Cameron’s room” Cassadee said carefully.
“What? Why?” I asked.
“Well, her and Cameron have been talking all night, I guess they got along well” Rian answered.
“They got along well?!” I exclaimed throwing my arms into the air. “You don’t just go around and sleep with everyone you get along with well! Why didn’t you stop her?”

​​​​Everyone’s attention was now focused on me.
“See, I’m not crazy!” Jordan exclaimed, pointing at me, as I headed for his and Cameron's bedroom. “That’s a normal reaction from the older sibling in a situation like this!”
“May I remind you” I heard Tay say. “That you’re not my fucking sibling? You’re my friend so fucking act like one!”

I busted into Jordan and Cameron’s room to find Cameron on a mattress on the floor and Rachel in what was probably his bed. They didn’t seem to have just woken up, so I figured they’d been listening to all the yelling coming from the hallway. Or worse.

​​​“You.” I said firmly, pointing at Rachel. “Get up.”
“No” she replied stubbornly.
“Do I need to drag you out of here? Because I will” I said, anger growing in my voice.
“Hales” I heard Jack’s voice say behind me. “Let it go.”
“Stay out of this, Jack” I replied, not taking my eyes off of Rachel.

​​​“Fine, I tried” I heard Jack mutter before he walked back into the hallway while I was still staring at Rachel. She sighed angrily, but finally did as I told her.
“I hate you” she hissed while passing me.
“I don’t care” I replied, giving Cameron a warning look before following Rachel out of the bedroom.

​​​In the hallway, everyone was staring at us. Probably because they – well, except for Jack – had never seen me and Rachel fight.
“We’re off to bed” I told everyone, pushing Rachel towards Tay’s bedroom, hoping Alex had left enough space for us on the double mattress.
​​​
Without saying a word to each other, we went inside.
“I am not sleeping next to Alex” Rachel said as soon as she noticed him on the mattress. Thankfully he had left enough space.

​​​“I’ll sleep next to him, you’ll sleep on my other side” I sighed.
“Who says I want to sleep next to you?” she said stubbornly.
“Who says you have a choice?” I replied.
Rachel sighed and lay down. I followed her lead, relieved. I had expected her to put up more of a fight.

​​​“You didn’t have to embarrass me in front of Cameron and everybody else, you know” she said quietly. “He’ll probably never talk to me again.”
“You don’t even know the guy, Rachel” I replied. “And he’s almost ten years older than you are!”
“Age is just a number” she replied.
“And jail is just a room, right?” I said. "It's illegal."

​​​“Why did I even expect you to let me be happy for once? I should’ve known better” Rachel said, while rolling on her side, so that I was facing her back.
I bit my lip. That did hurt. She was right, kind of. I did want her to be happy though and she knew that, but I wouldn’t deny that lately Alex had been the one to make me happy. I had to at least give Rachel the same chance, didn’t I?

​​​“Rach…” I said more softly. “Don’t say that. You know I want you to be happy. We’ll talk about this tomorrow okay?”
“Okay” she said after a moment of silence. “Goodnight.”
“Goodnight” I replied.

​​​I turned around so that I was facing Alex, who was already sound asleep. The bedroom door opened and both Tay and Jack came walking in.
“You convinced Jordan huh?” I asked.
“Nah, he was just too tired to continue arguing” Tay replied. “He’ll probably start whining again in the morning.”

​​​Jack collapsed onto Tay’s bed, while Tay changed the jeans she put on when we left the bedroom for sweatpants. I realized I still had them on as well, and carefully took them off without waking Alex up. I had to admit I wish I brought sweatpants, as I felt pretty naked lying next to Alex like this, even with my little sister on my other side.

By the time Tay got into the bed, Jack seemed to be asleep already.
“I do have to warn you” I said. “Jack snores really loudly.”
“Oh great” Tay sighed.
“So if I were you I’d try to fall asleep before he starts to snore.” I advised her.
“I’ll do my best” she nodded, lying down.

​​​I looked at Alex silhouette next to me. I hesitated for a moment, before cuddling up to him and laying my head down on his bare chest. The rhythm of his breathing changed and I realized I probably woke him up. I lifted my head to find him smiling at me sleepy. He moved his arm to lay it around my waist.
“Goodnight beautiful” she said softly.
“Goodnight” I replied, quickly kissing his cheek before laying my head back on his shoulder. It only took me a few minutes to fall asleep.