Status: Not completed

Teenage Dirtbag

I feel like dancin' tonight

Jack’s POV
Haley had sent me to go find Aimee. Apparently she went to our show, for whatever reason. Would she actually be here because she knew who I was? No, that can’t be it. I then spotted her long blonde hair on the other side of the bar, and walked over there. A few feet away from her I stopped. Was I really gonna talk to her? Was I ready for what might very well end up being a disaster? After all, she probably had no idea who I was, nor would she care. Then again, Haley was right, I was so over being in love with a girl that didn’t even know I existed. I took a deep breath, and walked over to her and her friends.
“Hey Aimee” I said silently. No one turned around, probably because they didn’t hear me.
“Hey Aimee” I repeated, louder this time.
Aimee turned around, and noticed me. From her face I couldn’t tell what she was thinking, but I did feel like I saw something that seemed like recognition in her eyes.
“Hey” she said stiffly.
“I’m Jack, from the band that just played” I introduced myself.
“Uhm yeah, I know, you go to my school” she said.
“Oh” I mumbled. I was rather surprised she knew that. “So did you like the show?”
“Yeah kinda.. My friend Nate here wanted to check you guys out, that’s why we’re here. We didn’t even know you and your friends were in this band” she said, as if she wanted to assure me she did not come here for me or something.

Alex’s POV
Haley and I scanned the room for Jack and Aimee and pretty soon noticed them on the other side of the bar.
“Wait, they’re actually talking?” Haley asked surprised. “I didn’t mean for that to happen”
“Why not?” I asked. “Then why did you make him go over there?”
“Because I didn’t think he actually would…” Haley replied. “That girl is no good for him.”
I raised my eyebrows. “Why not?” I asked again.
“Just look at her! Do you see Jack with someone like that?” she asked.
“Whoa, hold up. They’re just talking. Last I checked you could talk to someone without dating them… Or are we now dating as well?” I joked.
“Haha funny” she said sarcastically.
“Seriously, what is that with the two of you?” I asked.
Haley looked at me confused. “What are you talking about?” she asked.
“Like, I understand you’re protective of each other after all these years, but you really do worry too much about each other. If she’s not the girl for him, he’ll find out eventually. Let him live a little” I said. “You’re not jealous are you?”
I really hoped her answer tot his would be ‘no’, though it wouldn’t surprise me if it wasn’t. Sometimes I really wondered why the two of them weren’t dating.
“Jealous? Please!” Haley exclaimed. “He’s like my big brother. Trust me, Jack and I are just forever stuck in the friendzone.”
“Hmm touchy subject” I said jokingly and I stuck out my tongue.
“Oh you little shit” she said smiling. “What about you anyway, anyone interesting?”
I was suddenly silent. I was not about to tell Haley how I felt about her.
“I guess you could say that” I said vaguely.
I had to play it cool, or she would be on to me very soon.
“Do I know her...? Or him?” Haley asked.
“Oh, definitely a her. And I don’t think so” I replied. “Let’s go see how Jack and Aimee are doing”
“You’re totally dodging the question!” she exclaimed. “What do you not want to tell me?”
“Oh trust me, there’s a lot I don’t want to tell you” I said thinking. “C’mon.”
I grabbed her hand and dragged her to the other side of the bar, up to Jack and Aimee.

Haley’s POV
Alex dragged me all the way to the other side of the bar, to show up next to Jack, who didn’t seem very happy to see us.
“These are my friends Haley and Alex” Jack told Aimee and her friends.
“Yeah, we already met” I said with a forced smile.
I really felt like we were interrupting something, though it couldn’t have been very much with Aimee’s friends here. I was still wondering why Alex wouldn’t tell me who he had a crush on… Could it be Aimee? Or Cassadee? And was he ashamed of it because Cassadee was with Rian and Aimee was off limit? Although, in girl world she would’ve been, I didn’t know if guys worked like that.

“Alex, I feel like we’re interrupting something here, let’s go join Cass, Rian and Zack at the bar” I said, and grabbed his arm before he could protest.
“I thought that was what you wanted?” Alex asked when we were out of earshot.
“What?” I asked.
“To interrupt them, you didn’t want anything to happen between them” Alex said. “I just thought I’d help.”
“Well, I appreciate it, but you’re right, Jack has to figure that out on his own. Hopefully she won’t hurt him in the process though” I said.
“Don’t worry, Jack can take it” Alex said.
“Yeah, do you really think that?” I asked skeptical. “He’s a sensitive guy you know. Though I don’t think he’d want me to tell you that.”
“I won’t tell” Alex said with a wink.
We were almost at the bar when I stopped Alex. He looked at me quizzically.
“You don’t have a crush on Aimee or Cassadee, do you?” I asked carefully.
“What? No! I told you, you don’t know her. I would never, ever date someone like Aimee and Cassadee belongs with Rian, and she’s just a friend” Alex said.
“Damn it, why won’t you tell me!” I exclaimed frustrated.
“Why do you even care?” he asked smiling.
“Because I don’t like to not know things” I said with a sad face.
“Oh you poor thing” Alex said sarcastically. “Come on”

He walked up to the bar and sat down next to Cassadee. I sat down on the stool next to him and we both ordered a drink. Minutes later Jack joined us.
“Hey nice going assholes” he said, looking at me and Alex.
“What did we do?” I exclaimed.
“Ruin the conversation Aimee and I were having” Jack replied.
“What was it about?” Alex asked.
“Being in a band.. But that’s not the point! Did you have to show up like that?” he asked.
“Yes” I said before downing my drink.
Music was playing in the background, and my favorite song had just come on.
“I wanna dance” I said, looking at Jack and Alex. “Who’s with me?”
They exchanged a look.
“You go Alex, I need a drink” Jack said.

I jumped up from my stool, took Alex’s hand and dragged him onto the dance floor and started dancing. At first Alex didn’t seem too comfortable, but as soon as I started dancing really enthusiastically and not caring what other people thought of me, Alex joined me. After that song, a slow song came on, and people around us started slow dancing. I looked at Alex, tilting my head. He smiled. Clearly he understood what I was thinking.
“Can I have this dance, my lady?” he asked, holding out his hand for me to grab it.
“Well, of course you may” I said laughing.
I laid my hands on his shoulders, and he put his on my hips. At first it was awkward, like we were at some middle school dance. I stepped a bit closer to Alex, so that I wouldn’t feel like a fucking 12 year old. He didn’t step back. Instead, he smiled warmly at me. I smiled back. I had to admit, it felt pretty good. The song ended too soon. When we stopped dancing, and were about to walk back to our friends, I noticed all of them staring at us, and I felt my cheeks redden.
“I feel like we’re being watched” I joked.
“Yeah, I know what you mean” Alex said laughing as we walked up to them.
“Is a little privacy too much to ask for?” I asked them jokingly.
“Hey, if you want privacy you shouldn’t slow dance at a public bar” Rian said wisely.
“Good point” I said nodding. “But hey, I’m gonna go home, before my dad forgets where I am and calls the cops to report me missing again.”
“Want me to walk you home?” Alex asked.
I was surprised. Usually Jack would be the one to offer that, but well, he was probably still thinking about Aimee. It was a 15 minute walk and I forgot my earphones. It would be nice to have some company.
“What about your gear?” I asked before answering.
“Oh, I’ll just go back to pick it up” Alex said shrugging.
“Oh no, you don’t have to do that!” I exclaimed.
I wouldn’t want to make him walk all the way to my house and back just so I would have some company.
“It’s no bother” Alex said grinning. “In fact, I insist”.
“Well, then I guess you’re walking me home” I said smiling.
“I guess I am” Alex said.

I hugged all of them goodbye while Alex waited for me, and we walked to the exit and went outside. For a few minutes we walked silently next to each other, until Alex broke the silence.
“Did your father ever do that? Call the cops because he forgot where you were?” he asked.
I nodded. “Unfortunately, yes. I was on my way home from a concert with Jack, and when he drove into our street, there were police cars in front of our house. I freaked out thinking something happened to my father or Rachel. As soon as Jack pulled over and we got out of the car, a bunch of cops came walking up to us, asking me where I had been. I had no idea what was going on, and told them I just went to a concert. They explained my father called them to report me missing. He’s done a lot of things, but I’ve never felt as ashamed of him as I did that night. He usually just stays at home, drunk, but not bothering anyone. For weeks I didn’t go out, fearing it would happen again and my father would get in trouble over it. It hasn’t happened since but well, you just never know with him” I explained.
“You always talk about your home situation like it’s no big deal…” Alex noticed.
“Yeah well, I guess to you it all seems like a big deal, but by now I don’t know any better” I shrugged. “It’s been like this for years.”
“That doesn’t mean it has to be though” Alex said. “This isn’t fair to you Hales.”
“Yeah well, life isn’t fair, Alex” I replied sounding more angry than I had meant to.
Alex kept on walking quietly. I sighed.
“Sorry” I said. “I didn’t mean to snap like that. I know you’re just trying to help but it’s just… I’ve been hearing the same from Jack for years, but it’s just not as simple as you picture it.”
“I know” Alex said. “I know that whatever it is, it’s not simple. I don’t know your father, and I didn’t know him before your mother died. What I do know, is that it’s killing you, and that’s what I care about.”

At that moment we walked into my street. At least there weren’t police cars in front of my house.
“I’m not planning on staying you know” I said.
Alex looked up confused, which wasn’t strange, as I hadn’t even told Jack this.
“What do you mean?” he asked.
“In a few months I’ll turn 18, and I’ll be allowed to be my sister’s legal guardian. That’s when her and I move out of here” I said.
“Out of here?” Alex asked. “As in out of your house? Or as in out of Baltimore?”
I shrugged. “Who knows?” I said.
I noticed the sad look on Alex’s face.
“Hey, I’ll still be here for the next few months” I tried to cheer him up.
“Yeah, and after that you might just be gone forever” he muttered.
“Hey, I didn’t say I wasn’t leaving Baltimore, I just said it was a possibility” I said.
“Well, I for one really hope you don’t” Alex whispered. “I’ve enjoyed hanging out with you for the past weeks”
I smiled. He looked so lost though. “Oh come here” I said, pulling him in for a hug.
He wrapped his arms around me, and we stood there, just like that, for a few minutes. I didn’t feel like letting go, and apparently neither did Alex. After a few minutes, I let go of him, and stepped back.
“Please don’t leave forever” Alex said and then he turned around, walking back to the bar, leaving me standing in front of my house.
I watched him go and in that moment I realized who Alex was in love with. It wasn't Cassadee or Aimee, he was in love with me. I sighed. As if things weren't complicated enough already. I had to admit I too had been enjoying hanging out with Alex. And could I really leave Jack? In the back of my mind I already knew the answer: of course I couldn’t… But staying in Baltimore meant I wouldn’t get away from my father… I sighed and walked up to our front door. I’d worry about these things later.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I'm not exactly sure about the guardian-age-thing, but in the Netherlands it's 18, and if it's not in America, we'll just pretend it is.

Hope you like it!