Wait

1/1

Jack heard his best friend breath out slowly from his spot in his lap. Alex's legs were straddling Jack on the floor - both sitting up - and Alex completely wrapped around Jack, his face tucked in his neck. "You feel better, 'Lex?" Jack rubbed his best friend's back.

This had happened more than once in the past week but it wasn't anything Jack wasn't used too. Around this time every year - Alex's brother's death date - Alex would get horrible. He'd have panic attacks over nothing, he'd cry and blame himself, and usually Jack would be the one there almost every night to calm the dark haired boy down. His parents were used too it and didn't mind anymore.

"I-I'm sorry, Jack," Alex pulled his face back but didn't make any motion that would suggest he was going to move from Jack's lap. Not that the lanky younger boy minded. "I just l-lost it and I know it's a little late, but I didn't want to be alone."

A little late was a understatement. Alex had called at 1am, Jack comforted him for two hours, and that now left the two at 3:23am on a Thursday morning. School was in three hours and Jack knew he was going to sleep during his classes yet he couldn't make himself care. "I don't care what time it is. You need to stop beating yourself up though, Alex. This isn't healthy."

The scrawny boy in his arms sighed heavily in defeat and mumbled against Jack's shoulder, "I know."

"But enough sad stuff. Let's go upstairs and go to bed? I told my mom I was staying and I doubt your parents would mind if they were here." Jack kissed the elders nose sweetly and they both shuffled to their feet, Alex swaying just the slightest. "Careful, last thing we need is you busting your ass on the stairs."

Alex laughed tiredly and pulled them both up the stairs. Alex's room was pretty big compared to Jack's and that was the main reason Jack always offered to stay there instead of at his. Alex's bed was bigger, his floor was usually neater, and his CD collection was vast. All in all, staying at Alex's was usually just the better choice.

The two boys shuffled into bed - Alex already being in pajama's from before Jack had came over and Jack having been in pajama's when he rushed over - and settled closely together. Jack was expecting it; every time Alex was upset he'd be as close as he could to Jack. "I love you, Alex, please try and get over this." Jack whispered.

In the dark Alex couldn't see a tear slip down Jack's cheek, nor could Jack see Alex's eyes getting watery all over again. One thing Alex could see was the meaning behind Jack's words. He knew Jack loved him a lot but he wasn't ready for any of that right now. "Wait for me, Jack." Alex's hand shakily rested on Jack's bony hip as he spoke.

"Always."

--

Four years later and the guys had graduated high school, got signed to Hopeless Records, and seemingly forgotten about that night. Not to say there weren't still nights when Alex completely lost it, but they were less frequent and Jack had let it all slip his mind in the recent years.

Alex had a on and off girlfriend now and Jack had just broken up with a model. Really, their futures were bright for them.

"Did you hear Alex last night?" Rian looked at Jack with a eyebrow raised while chomping down on Lucky Charms. They had just arrived at a venue and it was eleven in the afternoon which meant that Alex wouldn't be up for a little while. "He was, like, shaking and crying in his bunk. I haven't seen him that bad in awhile."

Of course Jack had heard him. He was in the bunk with him and had kindly slipped out in the morning before anyone woke up. Alex would more than likely be embarrassed if the guys found out that Jack was constantly comforting him.

"Yeah, I was worried but didn't want to say anything cause it might upset him more." Zack sighed.

Jack kicked his legs up on the couch as he spoke, "Tonight's his brothers death date, guys. It's gonna hit him hard, especially since he can't be home with family and he's never been on the road for it before. Just let him breathe."

None of the guys said anything after that, choosing to let it go and let Jack handle it. Alex would talk to them if he wanted. As the three boys started thinking about the singer a small groan fell from the bunks as he emerged.

His blonde hair was a tousled mess, his brown eyes were puffy, and his skinny frame was covered in a white v-neck and red checkered pants. "'Morning." he mumbled, stifling a yawn as Jack starred in awe. It was days like this that Jack remembered how much he loved the older male and it was days like this that made his heart heavy.

"Want some cereal?" Rian asked through a spoonful.

"Nah." Alex moved over on the front lounge couch and moved Jack over so he could lay beside him. It was a tight squeeze but if Alex wrapped his arms around the brunette's waist and pulled closely they could fit and that was enough for Alex to stay there, a content smile on his lips.

"Comfy?" Jack cocked a eyebrows with a smirk.

Alex nodded his head and snuggled his nose against Jack's neck, pressing his lips softly. "Thanks for not telling the guys about last night." he whispered, noting the way Jack shivered just the slightest at his touch.

"Hey, Lisa called earlier, she said she's on her way. You weren't answering your phone or something." Rian piped up, unknowingly crushing Jack's mood.

Jack didn't have a problem with Lisa, but more of a problem with the fact that she was Alex's girlfriend. Alex was supposed to be his and it was incredibly selfish but Jack just couldn't stand that she had him. She didn't deserve him. Not only had she cheated, but she also brushed off the little quirks and amazing things about Alex that Jack loved. Like the way Alex twirled his hair when he was tired, the way he hummed in a sing-song voice if he was trying to figure out a answer to a question in a interview, how he messed with his hair when he was nervous, and how he was always super close to whoever he was talking too; whether it be fingers brushed or chests flush together, he had to be close if it was a serious topic.

"Oh," Alex voice trailed off as he sat up from Jack. "I should go get ready then. Thanks dude."

By time Alex got ready, Lisa was already there. It was hometown show so Jack expected she'd be coming out. She announced her presence on the bus happily and Jack smiled nicely, knowing Lisa thought he liked her. "Hey, Jacko, how have you been?"

"The usual. Fucking babes and drinking my kidneys away. How about you?" Jack asked, moving his legs from being stretched on the couch and allowing her to sit by him. It wouldn't be for too long though, Alex would come out soon and take her inside the venue so they could be alone.

She laughed her nice laugh and crossed her legs. "Good. I miss you guys though. I wish it was like old times when I could come on tour with you." Jack almost gagged but Alex exited the bunks and saved him the need with a grin. "Babe." Lisa stood.

Just like Jack expected the happy couple hugged, shared a kiss Jack would rather have not seen, and then excused themselves to be alone. Zack and Rian had went out their own ways before hand and that left Jack alone on the couch.

He wondered if Lisa was going to stay tonight and then catch a bus or train back to Baltimore. All Time Low's next stop was in Pittsburgh so she probably would which meant she'd be in Alex's bunk when he started panicking about his brother tonight. Jack knew it was going to happen and it made him sick to his stomach for two reasons. One being that he wouldn't be there to comfort Alex and the second being that he knew Lisa didn't know how to comfort Alex, so Alex would be a mess for the entire night until he fell asleep.

"Jack! Get your ass out here we need to sound check!" Matt spoke as he pulled open the bus door and snagged the guitarist from his thoughts. It was probably for the best.

After a slow sound check with lots of kissing between Alex and Lisa, a amazing pre-show dance session in the green room, and a kick ass show, things were finally left to go on their own. Most of the bands and crew were heading out to a bar since they'd loaded in already and Jack was planning to do the same until he realized he left his phone in the venue.

"Matt, can you open the venue. I left my phone in the green room." Jack asked. Matt was standing in the front lounge with a few other crew and getting ready to head out.

"It's unlocked. Alex is in there with Lisa with the keys. She had to pee or something." Matt slipped his phone in his back pocket before heading off the bus with a few more crew members, leaving Jack to scrunch his eyebrows and head for the bus door himself.

Once outside he made the quick path to the venue and pulled open the door quickly, ducking inside and b-lining for the greenroom. The light was on and he assumed Alex and Lisa were in there but didn't hear voices yet so continued to walk.

"Alex, I, what do you expect from me? It's been almost 7 years." Lisa's voice carried through the hallway and Jack halted in his tracks.

"Just, we can't right now, Lis. You know that. I love you, I really do, but I'm not ready for any of that. I'm young and so are you." Alex assured.

Jack heard Lisa sigh and backed up a few steps. "Alex, if you love me, why can't you marry me?" Jack choked on his breath at that. Lisa was asking for marriage? Since when were they serious enough to get married?

"I - I don't see myself marrying you." The words came out quiet and if Jack hadn't have been straining to hear them he probably wouldn't have. The sentence was small and blunt and he could only imagine the scene in the room. Lisa's mouth slightly parted open and Alex looking down at the ground, rubbing the back of his neck.

"You don't want to marry?" Lisa replied, utter shock in her voice. Alex tried to step in but she cut him off sharply. "If you don't want to marry what am I doing here? Why have we wasted all this time and put so much effort in, Alex? Is there someone else you want to marry? Someone else who's been there for you for literally everything? If so, please, let me know who."

Jack sucked in a breath, debating if he should turn around or not but figuring he had already started listening and he might as well not stop. "Jack." Alex's voice came quiet once again and Jack's eyes widened slightly.

"You want to marry Jack? Jack Barakat? Your gay?" Lisa was more calm this time but purely shocked. Jack was shocked too. Alex was gay and wanted to marry him? That didn't make sense.

"N-No, yes, I - fuck, I just meant he's been there for everything." Alex mumbled, clearly becoming frazzled over the situation. Jack felt bad for him honestly, he was being put on the spot with the entire situation.

Lisa's sigh echoed again and Jack heard some rustling around. "I'm gonna go home, Alex. I'm gonna pack up my stuff. I can't do this anymore." Her voice was weak but assertive and Jack was more than sure this was going to be the end of them if Alex didn't protest and kiss some major ass.

"You know I love you, Lis. I always will." Alex whispered. Jack sucked in a breath and started to back up, looking for somewhere he could hide because Lisa was going to be leaving the room in seconds and if she found him, he'd be fucked.

"I love you too, Lex." The words were spoke as she walked out, catching Jack in the process of opened a room door and trying to duck in and be unseen but failing. "Jack?" she asked.

He gulped and slumped his shoulders, turning around and shutting the door in one motion. "I was coming to get my phone. I left it in the green room." he blurted.

"You heard, didn't you?" Lisa walked forward as Jack nodded his head. "Jack, take care of him. You two always had something special. Whether it be friendship or not, take care of him. Please. He needs you, Jacko. A lot more than he lets off."

Before he could stumbled out words Lisa was walking away with tears in her eyes. He almost wanted to head back and comfort her, almost. Instead he sucked in a deep breath and headed toward the greenroom, spotting Alex on the couch with his head in his hands. "Hey, Alex." he whispered.

The singer jerked his head up and bit his lip. "Jack? Where did you come from?"

"I was in the hallway. I heard you and Lisa." Jack sat down beside Alex on the dark red couch and watched the way he reacted. It seemed to only scared Alex as his eyes flew wide and he started to run his hands together.

"Jack, I, don't be freaked out. I don't know, fuck, I don't know what I'm saying. It's just that you've always been there and I just don't know I don't mean I want to marry you but I think I have some sort of feelings for you and I just don't understand." Alex rambled, licking his lips ever so often which was a tell tale sign that he was nervous.

Jack just sighed and shook his head, letting a smile grace his lips. "Do you remember what you asked me years ago? When we were laying in your bed and you had just had a really bad episode?"

The blonde racked his thoughts for a few minutes, trying to recall what it was he'd asked of the younger boy until it hit him. "I asked you to wait for me."

"Do you remember what I said back?" Jack continued.

"You said always." Alex looked up from his previous gaze on the floor to meet Jack's dark brown eyes. How he'd never noticed Jack's eyes were so beautiful before was strange.

"I meant that. I still love you, Alex." Jack couldn't believe he was admitting this. He couldn't believe he was leaning in either but yet he was. His lips parting just the slightest to slot against Alex who was willing all the same. It was soft and tender and everything Jack had hoped for.

All good things come to a end though and Alex pulled away just enough to talk as a blush coated his cheeks. "I love you too, Jack."
♠ ♠ ♠
Well fuck. That was quite fluffy. I'm feeling mushy. Opinions?