Status: Complete

We Only Come Out at Night

Christmas

I hugged my parents one last time before leaving the house. I had been living at Ange and Rick's place for a week with Maddie, who sold her apartment after Amelia said she would move in with Balz. I had stayed with my parents the whole morning to share Christmas with them, despite the fact I don't even worship a God, I just celebrate it to have a day with my family (and, let's face it, for the presents as well). I made my way to our house, huddled into my coat and watching my breath come out as white smoke. Soon enough, I saw the twinkling lights from the street and walked to the only house that didn't have lights outside and still had some Halloween decorations. I pulled out my key and unlocked the door, stepping inside. Of course we didn't have lights up, who had time for that? And the Halloween decorations were up all year round. Maddie walked down the stairs smiling widely.
“Hey chica,” she greeted.
“Hey man, where's the guys?”
“Right here,” Ange whispered behind me.
I spun around and hugged him, then hugged Ricky who was standing beside him.
“Where's the rest of them?”
“Not here yet, we were expecting Chris to come up with you,” Ricky said.
“I called in before I went to my parents. He wasn't in.”
Ricky frowned.
“Then where is he?” Ange asked.
“Maybe he has a girl,” Maddie suggested.
“I doubt it,” Ange argued.
“It's a plausible idea, he has been going somewhere the past week or so, and he's been glued to his phone as well,” I commented.
“He wouldn't be the first to hide it,” Ricky added.
“Says the guy who wanted to make the others wait to find out about us,” I muttered.
He just smirked at me and snuck an arm around my waist. Maddie looked at me disheartened.
“Don't worry, Mads. I would've told you.”
Ricky's grip tightened, a sign he disapproved. I smiled sweetly at him.
“Lyss, can you help me in the kitchen?” Maddie asked.
“Sure.”
She pecked Ange on the cheek and walked away. Ange moved into the living room, leaving Ricky and me alone. I tried to move from his grasp but he tightened it and I was spun around to face him. I stared up at his gorgeous blue eyes as he studied my face, smiling a little.
“What's up?” I asked.
His eyes connected with mine and his smile widened.
“I'll tell you later,” he whispered. “Go, Maddie's waiting for you.”
I smiled, giving him a peck on the lips and walking backwards. He let go of me and I turned around, taking my coat off and joining Maddie in the kitchen.
“What took you so long?”
I shrugged. Why didn't he just tell me?
“Guys are so confusing,” I commented, moving to the stove to start cooking the vegetables.
Maddie turned around to face me. “What did he do?”
“He wouldn't let go of me and just stared for a while, then he smiled when I asked him what was up and let go.”
Her eyes widened.
“Ange did the same thing.”
I groaned. “What are they going to do to us? Every Christmas they do something!” I exclaimed.
Maddie shuddered at the thought.
“It can't be worse than last year...right?” she asked.
Last year they stuffed ice-cubes down the back of our shirts when we were watching a movie, we're still cautious when any of them are behind us.
“I hope not, that was Heaven.”
She looked confused then understanding took over. It does take time to get used to it.
“Mm, let's hope this year it's like Hell.”
She grinned and I smiled back. I turned back to the stove and set them all in pots and left them to cook. The door opened constantly while we were preparing dinner. We heard hushed voices, even Maddie couldn't make them out, and giggling from the girls. What the hell were they doing?
“You ready to go out there?” Maddie asked after checking on the turkey again.
“Let's do this.”
I walked out before her into the hallway (we knew they were in the living room and had been hovering by the doorway for a while). I walked in to see them huddled around the doorway connecting the living room and kitchen.
“What's so interesting?” Maddie asked, making them jump.
Chris looked disappointed.
“Lyss, Mads, could you get me some Naked Juice?”
I moved out the doorway beside me.
“NO! Isn't this one more convenient?” he asked pointing beside him.
“Yeah, but I don't trust you,” I replied.
He groaned and I went the long way to the kitchen, throwing him a bottle through the doorway he was standing at. That was when I noticed the green plant hanging from the doorway.
“Really?” I asked.
“Yep.”
He smiled cheekily at me, making me roll my eyes. I stepped through and collapsed on a sofa. Maddie fell beside me. Neither of us had a peaceful night. We up til Chloe-knows how long and when we did go to bed, the guys were messing around until five in the morning, leaving me two hours to sleep until I had to go to my parents house.
“Where've you been, Chris? Lyss was lookin' for ya earlier,” Maddie asked.
Chris blushed a little and walked to the sofa, trying to brush it off.
“I was out.”
“Where?” I asked.
“At a friend's house.”
“What friend?” Heather joined into the attack.
“A friend's, you don't know her.”
“So it's a 'her'?” Mike asked.
Chris blushed a little deeper while Ghost gave a knowing smile.
“Who is it, Dev?” I asked.
“His girlfriend,” Ghost replied.
“Ooh,” we all teased, making Chris blush deeper.
He cleared his throat and leaned back, pretending he didn't know he was blushing.
“You banged her yet?” Balz asked.
Amelia hit him on the back of the head while Chris gave him a smirk. The girls rolled their eyes while the guys cheered. I'll admit, I cheered with them making Maddie shake her head disapprovingly. I shrugged it off, it was about time Chris moved on.
"What's her name?" Amelia asked.
“Megan.”
I couldn't stop the grin threatening to take over. That cemented it together.
“How long have you been going out?” Ivy asked.
“A week or two.”
“How is she?” Mike asked, earning a smack on the head from Heather, albeit she didn't hit him that hard.
“Great, man.”
I rolled my eyes. Maddie motioned to me to go into the kitchen and I got up. I made sure she was in the middle of the kitchen before stepping in, I didn't want to put that mistletoe to use. The dinner was almost ready. Ivy came in followed by Amelia and Heather, followed by Allie and Kylie. Ivy and Kylie helped Maddie and me finish cooking everything and plate it, while Amelia, Heather and Allie set the table in the rarely-used dining room. I poked my head around the doorway.
“Where's Tony and Jaime?” I asked.
“They won't be here until after four, they're at their girlfriends,” Vic informed me.
“More secret girlfriends? What is it with us and hiding our relationships?” I thought out loud earning a chuckle from the guys.
I moved back into the kitchen so Maddie could take over my spot.
“Dinner's ready,” she announced.
The guys jumped up and ran into the dining room. We shook our heads at them and joined them, digging into our early dinner.
**************
“I'm stuffed,” Chris said.
My jaw hung open. “You're full!”
He nodded slowly and clumsily got up. “Yep. You finally managed to fill me up.”
I stared at him in shock, then directed my attention to Maddie, who was equally as shocked.
“But you're always hungry. You eat everything you can shove into your mouth and you still manage to eat more,” Maddie said disbelievingly.
“Well, you managed to fill me up.”
A few of the guys got up along with Heather and Kylie, lifting their plates and heading to the kitchen. I saw Ange kiss Maddie out of the corner of my eye and smiled, getting up and copying the line of men in front of me. I dumped my plate in the sink, knowing I'd be helping to wash them, and collapsed on the sofa.
“Tired?” Ricky asked me.
“Mm hm,” I mumbled.
He sat beside me and kissed my forehead.
“Alright, who's up for a movie?” Ghost asked.
The door opened just as everyone voiced their agreement, making us look at the doorway. Jaime stepped in with a woman.
“Guys, this is Lydia.”
She had light brown hair and dark brown eyes.
“Hi,” she said cheerfully.
“Hey, I'm Heather.”
One-by-one, we introduced ourselves after Heather and quickly got to know her.
“So, as I asked before: who's up for a movie?” Ghost asked again.
We all agreed and he slid in Sweeney Todd. I shook my head and he grinned.
“I love this movie, just as much as I love Beetlejuice.”
“I'm not surprised either,” I said, smiling at him.
“So, this is the Sweeney Todd guy you told me about?” Lydia asked.
“Yeah,” Jaime said.
Ghost wrapped an arm around Kylie, looking at Lydia.
“I don't have a problem with it, so long as you don't try to kill me,” Lydia joked.
Ghost grinned and turned his attention to the movie.
****************
I grinned as The Nightmare Before Christmas ended. Ricky squeezed me closer to him, then let go and got up. He grabbed a couple of the bowls that previously held crisps (chips for any American readers) and were now filled with bones instead of chicken wings. Chris arrived back from Megan's house, and brought her here and we introduced ourselves, (again). Ricky said 'hi' then walked into the kitchen and Ryan lumbered up saying he was getting another beer. Half of us shook our heads at him while the other half ignored it, I guess that's what happens when half of the group is straight edge and the other half aren't. Ryan walked through the doorway just as Ricky was walking out. I snickered at the look on Chris' face; it was his idea to put up mistletoe in the first place.
“STOP!” he yelled, grinning at them.
Ricky raised an eyebrow at me and I burst into laughter. Ryan turned around to face us, then saw the mistletoe hanging in front of his head. His eyes widened and shock took over his face, making Allie giggle.
“You guys have to kiss,” Balz teased, walking up to them to make sure they didn't run.
The door opened and we directed our attention to the other doorway. Tony walked in with his arm around a woman's waist.
“Guys, this is Stephanie,” he introduced, “my girlfriend.”
She had blonde hair that was almost white and grey eyes.
“Hi, I'm Alyssa,” I said, smiling warmly.
“Hi.” She smiled back.
“It's about time!” Maddie exclaimed excitedly.
Turtle blushed deeply and hid behind Stephanie.
“I'm Maddie.”
We all introduced ourselves then Chris reminded us about Ryan and Ricky.
“You're just in time to see them kiss,” Balz said happily.
“Allie, you okay with this?” I asked.
“Hell yeah, please tell me you are,” she replied, giving me puppy dog eyes.
“Of course.”
I smirked and winked at her.
“No, Lyss, please,” Ricky begged.
I smiled sweetly at him and he groaned. We crowded around them so they couldn't move from the doorway. I stood beside Allie and we giggled at their pleading.
“Kiss,” Chris said and we slowly joined in, starting to chant.
“Kiss, kiss, kiss,” we chanted.
“If you don't hurry up I'll push you,” Chris threatened and Balz nodded in agreement.
“One, two, three,” Balz counted.
They pushed them towards each other. Their faces were so close when I felt someone grab my arm and pulled me towards them. I was pushed into someone, my head buried in their chest and their grip loosened.
“NO! That doesn't count!” Chris whined.
I looked up to see Ricky staring down at me, meaning Ryan had grabbed me and used me as a shield.
“You're under the mistletoe now,” Heather said, grinning at us.
Ryan quickly moved to Allie's side leaving just Ricky and me. Ricky smirked making me roll my eyes. The kiss was loving and gentle. When we pulled away the gang awed making us shake our heads at them. Ricky wrapped an arm around my waist and I rested my head on his chest, just below his shoulder. All the couples turned to each other, and kissed.
This was the best part of having close friends: seeing them at their best, and worst; sharing many good memories, and awaiting more to come; and seeing them find their counterpart (or soul mate, though I've never liked that term) and fall in love. It's bonds like these that make us who we are, that make us want to be the best we possibly can, that help us through the toughest times. You can have support from a stranger, but it's the support from a friend that can really make a difference, no matter how big or small. Because, in the end, it's your friends and those who are close to you, that can help you be the best you can be. You.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's over, with a happy ending because that's what we all want :). I'm still not too sure what that last paragraph is about but I'm keeping it in anyway. I hope you liked it :) This won't be the last you see of me ;), you never know when I might appear again but until then my lovely readers, goodbye xx
(Check out Midnight.Moments story Fade Away, it's awesome:) )