‹ Prequel: Six Days of Thunder

Family Tree

Family Tree

Penny’s point of view:

I reacted to the voice first, because I’d heard it before. As our eyes met all the moments we’d shared came back.

My first emotion was surprise, this was the last place I imagined meeting Adam. Our encounter at the airport had been random, created in the chaos of a storm. To meet Adam twice made the world seem so small.

My next reaction was shock, how would he react to me? How would we be able to spend this holiday together? My family knew nothing of Adam, and I’m guessing his family doesn’t know much of me. Our meeting took place during the worst time for me and I never imagined meeting him again, what now?

The last emotion that overcame me was horror, this was a family gathering, and I was at my uncle’s house. Are I and Adam related?

I could feel my heart clench at the thought. I remember feeling attraction between me and Adam at several occasions during our time together, and we’d…

Suddenly my thoughts were interrupted when my dad ran into me. He was carrying our bags and I guess he was expecting me to move. Instead the force from his movements pushed me straight into Adam. Adam was quick enough to catch me before I fell, but we both fell to the floor, me ontop of him.

“I’m sorry, I thought…”

“Sorry, didn’t mean…”

“What…”

We all tried to speak at once and none of our words came out coherently. Dad put down the bags at the doorstep and helped me up. “I’m sorry dear, I thought you saw me coming…I expected you to move over.”

“No worries Dad, I got stuck in a thought.” I straightened my dress and pulled my hair out of my face, just as Adam handed me my phone which I’d dropped in the collision.

“It seems your phone works now.” Adam smiled as our fingers touched.

“What?” Dad didn’t understand what Adam meant, but I did. He was referring to our time at the airport, when my phone was out of battery.

“Oh nothing sir, just made sure your daughter’s phone didn’t get harmed in the fall.” Adam suddenly sounded very polite. I guess meeting the parents at an early stage like this wasn’t really something you would expect.

Adam reached out his hand to introduce himself. “My name is Adam.”

“Ah, I’m Quentin, and this is my daughter Penelope.”

“Just Penny.” I gave Adam an awkward smile and looked at my Dad. He laughed and was about to say something when Uncle Raymond appeared at the scene. Mom came up to the door in the same instance.

“Katie my dear.” Raymond walked passed us and gave Mom a hug.

“Raymond, so kind of you to invite us.” Uncle Ray shook hands with Dad and gave me a hug before moving the bags to the end of the great stairwell and invited us to the common room. Mom and Dad followed him to the source of the chatter audible from the foyer. I stayed behind, saying that I needed to make a phone call to a friend. Adam stayed as well.

“This is…is a…” Adam was trying to put words on his emotions but was failing.

“Surprise to say the least.” Our eyes made contact again and I could see Adam smiling.

“A very nice surprise.” Adam came closer and was about to give me a hug, when I reached out my arm to stop him.

“No, Adam…don’t you see…” He had a look of confusion on his face, maybe even a bit hurt.

“What is it Penny? This is a wonderful thing, we have a chance to catch up, to learn more…my sister will faint when I tell her…” How could Adam not see it?

“But… We’re both here, you’re… My Mom, your family… We’re related for goodness sake!” I finally managed to put words on my horror. “We spent the night together…” I could feel my body shiver as I spoke the words.

Adam remained quiet, with this look of amusement on his face. How could he think this was funny?

“Penny…That’s what’s making you this anxious? Don’t worry… Edward, you’re Uncle is just my step father, not even that… Edward and my Mom live together, my Dad passed away a few years ago. We’re not related, just a modern family you could say.”

At his words I could feel the tension melt away and I lowered my arm. I took a deep breath and let Adam embrace me. Not until I felt him close to me again did I realize how much I’d actually missed him. He brought me comfort then, and he brought me comfort now. I leaned towards his chest, and I could feel his heartbeats.

Still in his arms Adam spoke up: “How are you doing? Did you get home… your brother…”

“The funeral was postponed, so that I had a chance to say farewell to Danny… I miss him.” I felt a lump in my throat, but this time I did not break down, this time Adam’s presence calmed me down.

“I’m so sorry…” I felt tears in my eyes, but I pushed them back and looked up at Adam.

“I’m glad you’re here.” Then he bent down and kissed me.

Another presence in the room made us break the kiss. “Oh…I’m sorry…my mistake.”

“Are you spying on me Lorinne?” Adam sounded amused.

“N..no..” The brown haired girl looked a lot like Adam, I guess this was his sister.

“Lorinne…meet Penny, Penny this is my sister Lorinne.” The girl’s eyes grew even bigger.

“The Penny?”

Adam’s point of view:

It was quite amusing watching Lorinne’s reaction when she realized who it was I was holding. It seemed that she was just as surprised as I was when I laid my eyes upon Penny again. I could tell Lorinne wanted to talk to Penny, but so did I.

As it turned out, none of us would get the chance to catch up as Raymond again entered the foyer and invited us all sit down and share some eggnog or spiced apple cider. We all sighed, and with Lorinne taking the lead, Penny and I followed. I took her hand and I could see her smile.

As we entered the living-room, all eyes shifted to us. For a second I didn’t know what to do or say, I hadn’t even met half of the faces looking at me.

“Everybody…uhm…there something really incredible we need to tell you…” It was Penny that started the conversation.

I could feel my Mom’s piercing gaze on me. I was still holding on to Penny, and Edward was giving me a questioning look.

“Adam and I have met before…We actually met at the airport, not two weeks ago…” I could tell Penny felt uncomfortable.

“That’s the boy you stayed with?” Penny’s Mom spoke up.

“Oh you’re Penny…” Mom sounded excited. “You seem like just the perfect person for my Adam.” Mom walked up to Penny and gave her a hug.

Soon after discussions broke out in the room, and the heat was off us. Mom and Lorinne started up a discussion with Penny about our future prospects, which was kind of funny as Penny and I hadn’t even had an opportunity to discuss it. But I felt calm, we would have the entire week to discuss and ponder upon our situation, because now that we were together again I would not let go of her.

Maggie’s point of view:

“That’s so cute, can you believe something like that can actually happen in real life? It sounds more like something you would read about in a fairytale.” I leaned in towards Nick and felt comfortable. I’d be lucky enough to be able to enjoy his company during Christmas, because his parents were going on a cruise to the Caribbean. He would have spent the holidays with his Uncle, but I convinced my parents to let him join us instead.

First they were quite unsure after the whole fight with Sean, but when they saw that everything was alright between Nick and my brother, they agreed.

“Don’t get all mushy on us now sis.” Sean gave me a slight nudge and laughed.

“Haha Sean! You want me to punch you this time? I promise I’ll make it hurt more than Nick’s.” I raised my arm in a warning. Sean just kept laughing.

Nick and Sean got into a discussion about who could take who, and I stopped listening after a while. It was like their fight had never taken place. After I’d convinced Sean that I really loved Nick, he seemed to let all his anger go. They would both still have some detention for fighting at school, but if they would sit there together they will be alright.

I took this opportunity to look around the room. It had been quite some time since I’d seen my relatives. My cousins John and Michael were sitting in the couch next to ours. Michael was talking to his dad, my Uncle Raymond. John was talking to his wife, and from the bump on her belly, I could tell that she was pregnant.

Their younger brother, my cousin Danny, was standing beside a boy that was sitting in a wheelchair. I didn’t know who the boy in the wheelchair was, but I knew the girl that sat in his lap. The girl was my cousin Jack, and the three of them seemed to be having a lot of fun. They were all laughing like crazy. Jack leaned down to kiss the boy in the wheelchair, they both looked very much in love.

“Where did you go off to?” Nick embraced me and spoke directly into my ear.

I smiled. “Just thinking about how nice it is that we’re all gathered. We haven’t seen our relatives in quite some time.” I turned my head and kissed Nick on the cheek.

“You’re getting mushy again.” Sean had a smirk on his face, so I picked up the pillow I’d laid on the floor earlier so that we would fit in the sofa. I hit Sean in the face with the pillow. “Don’t say I didn’t warn you” I said as Sean tried to cover his face with his arms. Nick held me in place and just kept laughing.

Jack’s point of view:

“Are you sure you want me to sit in your lap, I mean…I do weigh some.” I looked from Danny to Dominic.

“Yeah, maybe you shouldn’t take her Dominic, she is quite heavy.” Danny laughed as I stared him down.

“Funny Mr. Daniel.” When my focus was directed on Danny, Dominic took the opportunity to scoop me up and place me in his lap.

“You forget that I’ve had time to practice and prepare for that.” Dominic leaned down to kiss me, careful to keep me steady so that my cast wouldn’t hurt too much. After we’d left the hospital the cast hadn’t given me much rest. I had to sleep with a pillow under my leg to ease the pain, but I wasn’t going to complain.

My leg would heal at some point, but for Dominic the injury was forever. I didn’t care, because I would love him all the same, but I could tell that it wasn’t easy for him to accept his situation. In his company I realized how hard it actually is for a wheelchair bound person to get around. Dominic had the strength to move around on his own, but there were many places unequipped for wheelchairs.

When we came here Dad and Mike had to carry him up the stairs. Dominic said that he didn’t mind, but I could tell when he was lying. He didn’t like being dependent on others, and I understood. It’s never easy having to depend on other’s, but I would always be there for him, trying to make every moment a little bit better.

Dominic’s point of view:

There was something about Jack’s laugh. It sounded so innocent and full of life. I remember when I saw her the first time. I’d just gotten the news I’d feared, that I would probably never walk again. The accident had been severe and I think that at some level I already knew what the doctor would say.

I was at the end of my rope when I saw Jack. She was really clumsy in her wheelchair, and somehow I was able to smile through my misery. When we were paired up during the physiotherapy I really tried to be a good partner for her, but mostly I got dragged back down in my misery. The only thing keeping me from giving up completely though was her presence.

I remember that day, the day my doctor told me that I would never walk again. I remember when I dragged myself to the physio room, determined to get my legs to work. I remember the hopeless feeling when my legs would not obey me and I fell to the floor. I remember pulling myself up only to let it all out.

I hadn’t cried since the accident, but in that moment I let it all go.

That’s when Jack entered the room.

I would never forget that moment, when she stayed with me, even though it would have been easier for her if she’d just left me in my misery. I would never forget the words she told me – that she didn’t care if I couldn’t walk again.

The more I thought about that moment, the more I fell in love with her. It was amazing to spend this Christmas with her. For me it would be the first real Christmas, surrounded by family and the one I loved - what more could you ask for?