Sequel: We're Stuck Halfway
Status: 5/6

Sand in Your Shoes

and the sand in your shoes;

When Kennedy first laid his eyes on Garrett's cousin, he almost felt like cowering away. She had striking deep green eyes that were staring into his own hazel ones, and the look she was giving him was so intense. It was almost like she was staring into his soul, an unmasked look into his brokenness.

Garrett coughed from beside the two, as if sensing that something was going on. “So... cuz,” he said as he turned to her, “this is my bandmate that wasn't around during the party Trey threw for you.” He flicked a lock of hair from his face. The wind outside was surprisingly strong for the summer. “He's the guitarist-”

She raised a brow, tilting her head simultaneously. Her chin length hair, together with her golden skin, made her look like a puppy. "I thought Red was the guitarist?"

Garrett rolled his eyes, shrugging as he made eye contact with Kennedy. “Jared is the lead guitarist, the one who plays the tabs – kind of like your right hand whenever you play piano. Kennedy's your left, the one that plays the chords. Rhythm guitarist."

Kennedy could tell that he was trying hard not to laugh based on the light in his eyes. His were blue, but still as striking as his cousin's. It wasn't a wonder.

“Anyway,” Garrett continued, “This is Kennedy Brock, rhythm guitarist for The Maine. Ken, this is Veronica-”

“Ronnie.”

Garrett sent her a sharp look, shutting her up for cutting him off again. “Again, Ken, this is Ronnie, my cousin. Ron, Kennedy; Ken, Ronnie."

Ronnie smiled at Kennedy, a dimple popping out from each of her cheeks as she waved a hand at him. “Hi, Kennedy.”

He waved a hand as well, urging himself to form a convincing smile. The way Ronnie was looking at him was too observant. He didn't like it, and he had secretly hoped that it would be the last encounter they had with each other.

Image


Much to Kennedy's demise, it turned out that Ronnie would be staying in Arizona for a couple more weeks.

Initially, she was to tour Arizona with Holly and Charlie, Garrett's girlfriend and Pat’s girlfriend respectively, but the three of them ended up sticking with the boys wherever they were, leading to Kennedy, well, seeing her everywhere, every single day.

She was there even during the band's daily practice session for the upcoming tour, sitting on the couch that usually had only Holly and Charlie as their audience.

Although Kennedy played as he usually did, with a soul and stillness that he enjoyed, there was something different, something odd to it. He let out a shaky breath as the song hit a bridge that didn't require him to play, turning his head only to see how intently Ronnie was watching him.

She smiled, and all of a sudden it was as if the air was knocked out from inside of him. He couldn't breathe, barely making it to his cue for the encore chorus.

Her eyes, her smile, her dimples were starting to get to him. He knew that she could tell something was off with him, but he didn't want anyone to notice. Because of that, he made it one of his goals to show Ronnie how okay he really was.

He was okay.

He wasn't heartbroken.

He was just starting to get tired of lying to others. And to himself.
♠ ♠ ♠
(I couldn't stop myself from adding a bit of Garrett and Holly's past) ((excuse me as I cry in a corner))