Drowning in the Waves.

006.

A few days later, and a rough flu she was trying to get over, Reese was back at work.
The sun was shining once again as she walked up the Spanish tile. Before she could even ring the door bell the door swung open. Mrs.Roberts stood tall wearing a white turtle neck, black slacks, and pearls.
"Hello Reese," her tone was attitudinal; her arms crossed over her chest. "I think we should talk before I leave." Reese nodded and followed in. The two sat at the dinning table, Mrs. Roberts lags crossed and flung her blond hair over her shoulder.
"I noticed before you "got sick."" Her perfectly manicured fingers air quoted. "That your car remained in front of Mr. Sanders home." Those nailed tapped away at the wooden table, each finger creating a new sound as it took its turn slamming down. "I don't appreciate," the word was laced with venom. "You fraternizing around with some rockstar in front of the neighbors. I don't mind you seeing him. Spending the night, however, looks trashy. Perception is the rule in this neighborhood, Reese. Please understand."
Without a word, Mrs. Roberts stood and made a dramatic exit. Reese was caught off guard. Mrs.Roberts was never as rude as she was being then. Reese's personal life was never a problem, the came open armed and open minded with everything having to do with her.
Reese sat there for a moment, completely confused.

Cuddled up in bed, Reese daydreamed about the night she had spent with Matt. It was better than she had imagined and she wasn't able to get him out of her head after that. Although, neither had tried to contact each other. The phone line remained quiet and so did the door bell.
I've hit an all time low, she mumbled to herself. For the past hour in bed, she stuffed her face with store bought cupcakes and belligerently yelled at Dr. Phil.
Suddenly, the door bell rang and Reese did her best to get up and move to the front door.
Geez, that was fast. She had ordered pizza not even ten minutes ago. She grabbed her money and swung open the door.
"Oh," she sounded almost disappointed.
"What, no hey how are ya?" He joked. His black hat was backwards and he wore a plain white t shirt. In his hands were bags of groceries.
"A little birdie told me you had the flu. Seem to get sick a lot huh?" He laughed and almost pushed his way in. Reese desperately tried to fix her hair and wipe her nose but she was passed savior.
"Are those yours?" She questioned and followed him into the kitchen.
"Nope, I got them for you."
"I can do my own shopping," she snapped uncontrollably and the room fell silent. "Sorry." She mumbled.
Matt continued to take out the groceries. "Go lay down," he smiled.
"Let me help you."
"How many times do I have to tell you, a gentleman never makes a sick woman work."
She didn't protest, she was too lethargic and too worn out from coughing.

Matt wasn't really sure what he should have gotten at the store. He had never really been grocery shopping himself so he just winged it. Well, he didn't actually wing it, half way through the trip he called his mom to see what he should buy someone who was sick.
Saltine crackers, tomato soup, chicken broth, bread and cheese, and just other basics that he thought she should have. After all, the cabinets were still deserted.
He poured the tomato soup into a pot and started the grilled cheese.
"Here you go," he handed her the food and sat at the edge of the bed, tissues surrounding them.
"I'm not very pretty when I'm sick." She laughed.
"You're beautiful." Matt said matter of fact. He looked into her eyes and smiled. He hadn't stopped thinking about her since they had slept together. She was perfect, everything about her was.
Matt laid down next to her on the bed and pulled her in close. "Sorry I didn't call," he said slowly. "I kept waiting for you to show up at J's house but then he came over and told me you were sick."
Reese didn't say a word, she just smiled and snuggled into his chest. She was really starting to warm up to this kid and she had no idea why, it was wrong with her situation at the moment but she couldn't fight her feelings. The pizza ended up coming but she just stuck it in her fridge after a few pieces and sat down at the dinning table.
"I bought you some food for the rest of the week." He smiled, his shirt was off and they had just finished watching Pain & Gain.
"Oh really?" She asked and wiped her nose with her sleeve.
"Yeah, I got the basics which you seemed to be missing." He almost laughed. "Do you just eat at Jason's house?"
She rubbed her arm nervously and attempted to avoid the question.
"Yeah, always, you know? Sometimes I just eat out a lot."

That was a damn lie. Reese never ate out and she rarely had enough to buy groceries. After her phone bill, insurance, rent, and all other bills she was left with exactly 100 dollars in her bank account. Which pretty much went to gas.
"I see." Matt eyed her suspiciously. He wasn't sure if he should call her out on the bills he saw or if he even had a right to call her out. "Maybe you need some sunshine." He said softly. "Let's take a walk."
Matt and Reese found their way outside and the sun beat down hard. It was January and Orange County remained in a summer state.
Matt had his hand on the small of her back. He looked down upon her, she was pale, looking almost childish. Her eyes met his and she rubber her arm.
"Who is Val?" She asked quietly.
"I'm guessing the girls said something." Matt assumed and continued. "She was my ex. I dated her for years. Matter of fact, she was the only woman I ever really dated. We started dating in high school, she was practically like one of the guys."
"What happened?"
"After high school we moved in with one another and went on tour. She pretty much did everything for me." The couple headed farther down, the sun beating brightly, the concrete warm beneath their feet. "I left my mothers home into another home with a woman who acted like my mother. I don't know how to do laundry," he admitted. "Buying those things for you was the first time I ever went grocery shopping. Anyways, Val and I ended up growing apart. We were destroying each other with the idea of the past and how who we thought we were. We stopped having sex and eventually I started to feel like her child. She ruled the house. Then one day I found out she was going on dates with one of her coworkers and I needed to end it. The relationship had lasted so long I didn't know how to end it." Matt stopped walking and looked Reese dead in the eye. "I made sure she caught me cheating. I got drunk one night so I could actually go through it and she came home from work. There was no hard feelings, still aren't. We both knew it had to end that way in order for either of us to get out." Reese almost looked shocked. She didn't know what to say. "But trust me Reese, I'm not that kind of guy. I would never cheat."
"I get it, Matt." She said softly. A cough rattled through her chest and she rubbed her eyes. "There's no need to explain what happened in the past. I believe you. But if Val was such a big part in your life does that means she's still in it now?"
"Of course," he said hesitantly. "She's not around as often anymore, she's got herself a new boyfriend. But there's no bad blood. Every one wanted us to break up anyway."
Reese just smiled. She appreciated his honesty. "Enough about this. It's the past," he ran his hands gently through her hair and pressed his lips to her forehead. "How about we go back to my house." Reese agreed without thinking and they walked back to the black truck. They drove in silence, not bothering to turn on the stereo. Her opened her car door, helped her out, and took her straight into his bed room. Her cough was becoming incessant. "I'm going to take care of you today," he smiled and tucked her in tightly.
"I'm going to get you sick, I've probably already infected you."
"This isn't a zombie virus," he laughed and pressed his soft lips against hers. "Besides, I wouldn't mind getting sick from you." He winked and headed down stairs.

Matt looked around in his kitchen. Should have just stayed at her house, he thought stupidly. He still had no food, his house was a wreck, and he was pretty sure it would make her ever more sick. Just then his phone buzzed.
"Hey man." Matt spoke.
Hey, were down the street. Zacky said. He could hear Johnny and Jimmy yelling in the background.
He just hung up. "Shit," he mumbled allowed and headed toward the front door. The black car came speeding up to the curbside, music blaring from the speakers. "Look," he almost hissed at them. "Reese is sick upstairs. No stupid shit, no being too loud. Play in the garage."
The guys nodded then Brian laughed aloud. "For the first time in his life, Matt is taking care of someone else?" He raised a curious eyebrow.
"Must be looooovvveeee." Jimmy taunted.
"Shut up and get in the garage."
They group laughed as they headed in but someone cleared their tiny voice. "You can play inside." She said softly, a warm white fuzzy blanket wrapped around her petite body.
"Babe," Matt blushed as soon as he realized what he said. "Come on, get back upstairs, you need to rest."
"No, no." She smiled weakly. "It's stupid, they came over to play inside. Don't be a jerk, I will be asleep anyways."
"Val always kicked us out." Johnny smirked. "I like her."
"Fine," Matt pressed his hand against her back firmly and walked her up. "Rest, because tonight you'll be begging me for sleep." That damn wink.
♠ ♠ ♠
THIS IS THE BIGGEST PIECE OF SHIT EVER. I apologize. I have has the flu, the worst flu of my life, for almost two weeks now. My head isn't even clear enough to write. This shitty ass thing took me like four days to get out because I can't even formulate a sentence in real life. All I have been doing is having friends bring over cupcakes and belligerently yelling at reruns of Dr. Phil. Reason 1 of why its in the story and was easy to write ha. I've basically been at the beach everyday too trying to sleep in the sun. I must have looked like a vampire. END RANT. Sorry. Anyways just know I apologize and the next part that won't be shit, will hopefully be out in two days. Going to see Hell or Highwater tomorrow, sooo stoked. INFECTING EVERYONE THERE WITH MY SICKNESS