A Barcelona Love Story

Chapter 19- Stupid Questions

AP English was so relieving. I’d choose it a hundred times over Physics. I sat absent-mindedly and began doodling on my notebook. When the bell rang, I looked down at what I doodled and found out that I wrote Bartra’s name a lot and placed some hearts around it.

“Los cojones.” I muttered and slammed my notebook shut.
“Are you OK?” Diana asked me.
“Sorry, just having one of those days.” I said and she smiled sympathetically.
“Are you going to the dance next week, with Bartra?” she asked.
“What dance? And why Bartra?” I asked.
“Sorry.” she said. “There’s this school dance and well, I thought you and Bartra are coming together, since you know..”
“Diana, I’m not with Bartra, as for the dance, I might skip it.” I said and she looked at me.
“I just thought you and Bartra are together you know. I mean..OK, never mind. Anyways, you know where to reach me when you need anything.” Diana said and I nodded.
“Thanks.” I said and she hugged me and left.

“Detention is at the library for this day, Miss Hernandez.” the teacher said and I nodded.

I went inside the library at the same time that Bartra looked up. Our eyes met. I took a deep breath and willed myself to forget all the kisses we both shared. I sat on the other end of the table, away from him and took out my Physics book and flipped through the pages absent-mindedly.

“Hey.” Bartra whispered and pulled me so I stood up.
“Mister Bartra, Miss Hernandez, this is detention..” the librarian called out.
“Yes, Miss, Aly and I needed to look for a French book that will help us in our paper.” Bartra said and the librarian nodded.

“We need to talk.” Bartra said as he led me to the farthest shelf of the library.
“This isn’t where French is, Bartra.” I said but he made me sit on the floor and sat beside me.
“We need to talk, Aly.” Bartra said again.
“So, talk.” I said.

“I’m sorry if I made you uncomfortable awhile ago.” Bartra said.
“Why did you walk out?” I asked.
“I’m sorry, I thought you were serious about liking Sergi.” he said and I reached out for his hand.
“Bartra, I was just teasing. Sergi and I already agreed we’re friends.” I said.
“Why?” he asked.
“Because I like you too, Bartra. Any more stupid questions?” I asked and he smiled.
“You do?” he asked and I rolled my eyes.
“Oh, well, I got to go and find Sergi. Looks like I..” I said but never got to finish as he kissed me.

“I have a feeling you have this weird habit of not letting me finish what I’m supposed to say.” I said and he chuckled.
“Come on, let’s go back to our table, before they start the rumor of us making out between these shelves.” he said.