A Barcelona Love Story

Chapter 2- Ciutat Esportiva Joan Gamper

“This is where we train. Usually, people outside from the club are not allowed to come, but you’re with me. I can’t let you drive home you might get lost, so you’re coming with me.” Uncle Xavi said, grabbed his bag and went out. I followed suit.
“So, if people are not allowed in, maybe I should wait here.” I said as I followed him.
“Just follow me, nena, please.” Uncle Xavi said.
“Morning, Xavi! Good to see you.” a guard greeted Uncle Xavi and then looked at me.
“Morning, Manuel! This is my niece, I just picked her up from the airport and I have no time to drive her home so she’s with me.” Uncle Xavi said and pointed at me. I smiled shyly.
“Morning, Miss. Welcome to the training ground of FC Barcelona. Mes que un club.” he said.
“Morning. It’s Aly by the way.” I said and he smiled as Uncle Xavi and led me inside.
“Xandi, you wait here for awhile, while I change into my training clothes.” he said and I looked at him.
“Xandi like Xavi.” he explained with a smile.
“Only for you, then, Uncle.” I said and he chuckled and went inside.

I stood there, waiting for Uncle Xavi to go out and looked around. I opened my bag and grabbed my old digital camera and took photos around me. Wouldn’t it be nice to put photos of this place in a scrapbook? The door opened and I looked back to see if it was Uncle Xavi but out came two young boys, laughing and talking. I hurriedly hid my camera. They looked at me.

“Are you looking for someone?” a tall, lean guy asked me. I took a step back, shy and obviously a little scared they might throw me out. His eyes were probing, daring me to answer.
“I’ve never seen you here before. Are you new? Do you work here?” the other blonde guy asked.
“I’m with..” I began but the door opened.
“Bartra! Muniesa! Do I have the feeling that you’re scaring my niece?” Uncle Xavi asked as he went out.
“Oi.” another tall, almost bald guy came out.
“This is Alexandria. She’s my..” Uncle Xavi said.
“Yes yes, your niece. You can’t stop talking about her since last week.” the almost bald guy said. “Hi, I’m Andres Iniesta.”
“Alexandria. Call me Aly.” I said and shook his hand.
“Welcome to Barcelona, Aly. I’m Marc Bartra.” the tall, lean guy said and shook my hand as well.
“I’m Marc Muniesa.” the blonde guy said and I shook my hand.
“Alright, I’m introducing you to others later. And Bartra, Muniesa, stop looking at Aly like that.” Uncle Xavi said warningly.
“Like what?” Bartra asked.
“Like she’s na—“ Muniesa began but Uncle Xavi butted in.
“Stop it, guys.” Uncle Xavi called out. “Ignore them, Xandi.” Uncle Xavi said and I nodded.
“Xandi? She said her name is Alexandria. Aly for short.” Bartra said.
“Aly for all of you guys. Xandi for me. Now get a move on.” Uncle Xavi said.
“Pfft. Playing the overprotective Uncle. It doesn’t suit you, Xavi.” Andres Iniesta said and they chuckled.
“Wait until your Valeria grows up, Iniesta and you’ll see.” Uncle Xavi said. “Let’s go, Xandi.” he added and I followed.

Uncle Xavi made me sit while they all train. I looked around and observed them. I caught sight of Bartra and Muniesa, jokingly teasing another guy. When Bartra and Muniesa looked at me, they smiled and waved. The other guy kicked a ball and it hit Bartra at the head. Uncle Xavi was busy practicing his juggling skills, the same kind of ball-handling that I have mastered without any help from anyone.