A Barcelona Love Story

Chapter 25- Almost Caught

“I need to use the ladies.” Fontas’ girl said and stood up, followed by Muniesa’s and Roberto’s girls as well.
“Are you coming with us, Aly?” Roberto’s girl asked.
“Thanks but I think I’ll stay here.” I said and they nodded.
“Well, I go get us drinks.” Fontas stood up and so did Muniesa, leaving me, Sergi and Bartra on the table.

I looked around and looked at everyone on the dance floor and admired the band that the school has hired. Bartra kept on checking his phone as Roberto threw him looks.

“Who are you calling, Bartra?” Roberto asked, sounding a bit annoyed.
“My cousin.” Bartra said. “Excuse me.” he said and stood up and left.
“Are you alright?” I asked Sergi, who looked at me.
“Of course, I am. The question is, are you?” he asked.
“Apart from these pair of heels that Malena insisted I changed into, yes I am.” I answered.
“You look beautiful, Aly.” Roberto said and I smiled.
“Thanks, Sergi.” I said and he smiled as well.

Finally, everyone was back, apart from Bartra. Muniesa went back to the table to get me a drink after much insistence from him. It was a good thing that none of them would want to stand up and dance unless Bartra comes back.

“No, it’s OK. This is your dance too you know, not just mine. Go and dance.” I told them.
“Are you sure, Aly?” Muniesa’s girl asked me. I smiled.
“Go.” I said and they all stood up, leaving me on the table.

I have never been to any dance at all back at school, but that doesn’t mean I don’t know what happens. Isn’t it supposed to be fun and all? When a guy asks a girl to come with him to a dance, he should dance or at least stay with her right? Where was Bartra? I caught a glimpse of Diana, she smiled at me and mouthed “You look beautiful.” I smiled and mouthed the same words to her. She smiled and went back to dancing with her date. I grabbed my bag and stood up.

“Where are you going?” Muniesa asked as I passed by him and his girl.
“Ladies.” I answered. Or lied.Or whatever.

I made my way to the ladies, only to stop by at a classroom that was open and found Bartra, talking on his phone. I didn’t mean to eavesdrop, but I caught a few words and that got me frozen on the spot.

“I’m at the school dance with Xavi’s niece. She’s just a friend.” Bartra said and then listened to the person.
“Yes, look, we’re just friends. I still love you.” Bartra said. “I swear.” he added.
“I love you more, always.” Bartra said. “See you tomorrow.” he added.

My phone rang and Bartra jumped and muttered a very fast “I’ll call you back.” Luckily, he never got to catch me. I was back at the table, sitting and trying not to cry. The hell, why would I even cry, right? It’s not like we’re together.