A Barcelona Love Story

Chapter 29- Xavi Questions

Uncle Xavi was telling me stories about what happened during the friendly’s as I had my arm around his and we walked into the restaurant for lunch. People looked at Uncle Xavi and smiled at him. We sat on and ordered some food then waited. And because he asked me about the dance, I told him.

“Nena, did you have a good time? All I heard from you was how the band was amazing and the gym looked beautiful.”
“Yes I had.” I lied and he looked at me. He was about to say something when he smiled and waved at someone.

I made a mistake of looking back and found Bartra, sitting in front of a girl, I assumed his girlfriend. He looked at me and painted a small smile. I turned my back and faced Uncle Xavi.

“I thought you and Bartra..” he began.
“We just went at the dance together as friends.” I said and he nodded.
“What’s with the face?” Uncle Xavi asked me. Why oh why do you have to be so god-damned observant, right now?
“Nothing.” I said.
“Don’t nothing me.” Uncle Xavi said as I took a sip from the water that was in front of me.
“Ay dios mio, Xandi! You like Bartra, don’t you?” he asked. Ugh, welcome to the club, Uncle Xavi.
“Let’s not do this, Uncle Xavi.” I said but he rolled his eyes.
“You always say that when I ask about you and him. And Pique’s right, you do like him.” Uncle Xavi said.
“Duh, he has a girlfriend.” I said and he chuckled.
“So? That doesn’t stop women from throwing themselves at Pique or Iker.” Uncle Xavi pointed out.
“Actually, I like someone else.” I said.
“Who?” he asked, looking at me.
“This guy at school. He told me he likes me, I told him I like him too and then we kissed.” I said.
“And?” he prodded.
“Nothing, the next day he was back with his girlfriend.” I said.
“Then, it’s his loss. Wait until you go to college, nena, you’ll find someone else. Actually, lots of them although..” he began.
“Uncle Xavi, relax. I’m staying here for college and only you can throw me out.” I said and he laughed.
“Are you sure I’m throwing you out?” he checked and I smiled.
“Are you?” I asked and he chuckled.
“The only ones I am throwing out are the boys who would try and break your heart.” he said and I smiled.
“Listen, I have a meeting with Adidas people at around 3, I don’t want to leave you at home alone..” he began.
“Well, how about I just go out and go shopping, take a look at books…” I began.
“That sounds nice.” he said. “Or maybe you can hang out with friends from school.” he suggested.
“Books are more what I want.” I said and he rolled his eyes.
“Fine, you win this one.” Uncle Xavi said. “By the way, we have a game tomorrow and Bojan has been forever begging me to take you.”
“Yes.” I answered excitedly.
“I have a feeling you’re keeping something from me.” Uncle Xavi said and I smiled.
“You’re right. I’m sorry. It’s just that I don’t know how you will take it well, but I adopted Bojan as my brother.”
“Oh no.” he teased and we laughed.