A Barcelona Love Story

Chapter 3- The Skills Are Out

“You doing, OK, Xandi?” Uncle Xavi came over, his hands holding the ball.
“Yep.” I said and smiled at him.
“I’ll introduce you to the other guys later.” he said as he placed the ball on the ground and took a Gatorade to drink.
“You thirsty?” he asked and I shook my head.
“Hungry?” he asked.
“Uncle Xavi, don’t worry. I’m still full.” I said and he smiled and continued to drink.

A ball came flying straight toward us but landed a few inches from me. Uncle Xavi chuckled as the tall guy with blue eyes laughed at Uncle Xavi.

“Gerard Pique. He loves to play pranks.” he said and I nodded. “He’s with your best friend.” he added and I looked at him.
“Didn’t you tell me your best friends with Shakira?” he asked teasingly and I laughed.
“Do you mind kicking the ball towards Gerard?” Uncle Xavi asked me.
“OK.” I coolly said and kicked the ball, almost hitting a brown curly-haired boy, who thank God was able to dodge the ball.
“Sorry.” I called out as everyone laughed. The guy looked at me and smiled shyly.
“Wow, I didn’t know you could kick like that. Do you play the beautiful game?” Uncle Xavi asked me.
“Only in Gym class.” I said and smiled.
“I bet you’ve got my skills, eh?” he asked and I smiled.
“Not really.” I said shyly.
“Show me?” he asked.
“But..” I began but he kicked the ball towards me.

Instinctively, I kicked the ball and juggled the ball, the same skill he was practicing with awhile ago. He smiled and everyone gathered around to see. I stopped, feeling myself blush.

“Wow, that’s too Xavi.” Gerard commented.
“Why’d you stop?” Uncle Xavi asked me.
“Uhm..” I said and smiled shyly.
“I’m Carles Puyol, I’m the Captain. I think we need to sign you.” a brawny and curly-blonde haired guy said and shook my hand.
“You’re the one who got Spain through against Germany.” were the only words that came out from my mouth.
“I am beginning to like this girl more and more, Xavi. How come you just brought her now?” Gerard demanded.
“She’s going to live with me, Gerard.” Uncle Xavi said.
“Did you watch the World Cup, nena?” Andres asked.
“Just a little, my mum insisted I stayed with my dad that summer and I reluctantly came. The game against Germany was the only game I was able to watch because my dad was a huge USA fan and ever since the exit of his team, no one was allowed to watch. Even me.” I said and Uncle Xavi’s eyebrows raised and then nodded.
“You never played except for gym class?” Uncle Xavi asked.
“Yes. And because my school doesn’t have girls’ team.” I said.
“You should sign up with the girls’ team.” Carles said.
“Thanks but I guess I’d rather watch. Surgeries scare me.” I said and they smiled at me.