I Guess I'll Never Get To Call You Mine

RANDY

“Aren’t you feeling bad you’re ditching your best friend like that?” I asked. The band meeting was over and those going on the spontaneous Miami trip were meeting up to plan the trip. I’d joined them because I was curious on the real reason behind this trip. It’s obvious that they were trying to avoid their drummer. I’d refused the restaurant invitation because I really don’t fit in in fancy restaurants. The last time I was in one I’d complained to the waitress that our appetizer only consisted of literally two small shrimps. She said that really is the regular portion. I kind of complained. The result was that I got unceremoniously kicked out. I’m pretty sure that wasn’t the case with the rest of the guys.
Pierre shrugged. “I like surfing,” he said simply. “Jeff doesn’t,” I pointed out. “Ever since we watched Jaws together in grade school he’s had this thing on getting eaten by sharks.” “I was ten, and I’m over it now,” Jeff countered. “You were thirteen and you had nightmares about it and even refused to go to the pool because of it,” I smirked. “Well I hope the sharks get him in Miami,” Seb grumbled. “No one touches my Audi but me.” Sensing a potential fight, I quickly changed the subject, “What’s with the surfing fiasco anyway? Is this some kind of prank? You’re obviously snubbing Chuck. Aren’t you also worried about Dave? I’m surprised you didn’t ask after him.”
Everyone suddenly looked uncomfortable. I have a feeling that this is not something they enjoyed discussing. Pierre finally spoke up. “Well, this is not the first time David has been in a bar fight. He got into a fight right? He’s like that all the time. We’re on tour, he hooks up with some random girl, her boyfriend got mad, and then David comes home looking like he’s been in a boxing match with Muhammad Ali. He doesn’t like to talk about it for obvious reasons. We respect that so we don’t ask.”
“As for Chuck, it’s his girlfriend. I guess you’ve heard of Ashley,” Seb said. “Um, yeah. Didn’t she dump him and now they’re back together? Okay, I agree that seems fishy, I don’t think I’d bail out on him just because of her.” Seb scratched his head. “It’s not that. It’s just…she doesn’t treat him right.”
“How’d you know?” I finally said. “It’s not like you go accompany Chuck on dates.” “Personally, I don’t know for sure, but when they started going out he became creepily dependent on her,” Seb said. “Not good kind of way too, because he didn’t look like he was on Cloud Nine. He doesn’t look happy.” “I think it’s the trauma of losing her again. He’s constantly worried that she’s going to leave him again,” Jeff said. “He never talked much about her, but it’s clear who’s the boss in this relationship. Chuck will do anything to keep her happy. It’s like he’s…I don’t know, bewitched.” I had to laugh. “Bewitched? Seriously? I don’t know how a guy can fall for a girl like that.”
“The second time she dumped him was right when we were finishing our second album. I know that this is kind of irrelevant, but did you remember what our last track is?” Pierre asked. “Wait, wasn’t it Untitled? You guys came up with it last-minute I remember.” “Yeah, we decided to tag it on at the very last second. Chuck wrote most of the lyrics. Everyone thought it’s about drunk driving because of the music video but…” Pierre stroked his chin thoughtfully. “Chuck wrote it right after they broke up for the second time.”