I Guess I'll Never Get To Call You Mine

ASHLEY

“Do you have to go now?” he asked as the alarm in my iPhone sounded. He sat up on the bed and pouted, still panting hard and sweaty from our last…very intense making-out session. “Yes I do, hon, I have a reservation for Le Local at seven,” I said. “And I don’t want to be late. This took a lot more time than I thought.” I got up to my wardrobe and started pulling out outfits one by one. He looked hurt. “So I didn’t give you a good time?” he asked. I sighed. He’s such a kid sometimes. “Of course you did, dear, but I really can’t afford missing out on this reservation.” I pulled out a black cocktail dress. Hmm…not too shabby but short enough to show quite a bit of skin. “Who’re you going with then?” he said, disgruntled. But he got up and began putting his clothes back on. “A few friends,” I said casually. “You might know them. Chuck Comeau and David Desrosiers from Simple Plan and Aline Young from The Youngbloods.” “Really? Oh wow Chuck and Aline!” He looked kind of excited. “Why didn’t you tell me? I would’ve come. I haven’t seen Chuck in a long time. We used to be tight in high school along with Pierre.” What the hell? “What did you say?” I said, surprised.
“Bet you didn’t know, didn’t you? Pierre, Chuck and I…we used to be in a band together. It’s called Reset. That was way before the Simple Plan era.” He grinned, obviously pleased that he used to be best buddies with a couple of celebrities. “I didn’t know much about David. He didn’t go to our high school, but Aline did. She’s Chuck’s other best friend and she hung out with us sometimes. Usually she and Chuck did their own thing though.” He scratched his head at looked incredulous. “You should’ve told me you were meeting with them. I’ve wanted to see them for a long time.”
I applied a fresh layer of lipstick and batted my eyelashes at my reflection in the mirror. “Maybe some other time, dear, I’ve only got reservations for four,” I said. “Chuck and Aline…they never, you know, went out, don’t they? How do I look by the way?” “Fabulous,” he said. “And as far as I know, no, though they’ve been friends since, like, birth,” he shrugged. “Say hi to them for me, will you? Will you be back home tonight?” “Maybe yes, maybe no,” I smiled sweetly. “I’ll send them your greetings. I’ll see you later, Jean-Sébastien.” He looked a little amused. “Only teachers and my parents call me that you know. I’d much prefer J.S.”