I Guess I'll Never Get To Call You Mine

ALINE

I laughed and held up my hands in truce. “Okay, you win!” I grinned. “That was definitely the craziest fan story I’ve ever heard.” I was having a pretty good time. We’d taken to telling each other tales of being on tour while taking delicate bites of our banana bread, trying to prolong the eating process. We’d started another contest trying to one-up each other on stories of all the weird things a fan would do to get a backstage pass.
“I feel bad doing this. Most of our fans are pretty nice,” I smiled. “Sometimes when I see a person with a Youngblood tattoo…I kind of feel that we’re doing something right, you know? I can’t believe our songs really gave them inspiration to go through some tough times.” “Hmm, I guess,” David shrugged. “We do hang out with them quite a lot on tour. They share a lot of stories.” “That’s sweet.” “Ew, don’t call me that, that’s Seb’s job,” David grinned. “But yeah the fans are cool. Some of them are pretty hot. Okay, a lot of them are hot actually.” “Dude, fans are meant not targets for your flirtation practices,” I laughed. “They didn’t seem to mind,” David said. “Some of them even stayed afterward at our hotel.”
I didn’t think he meant to tell me that, because he suddenly looked uncomfortable. I frowned. “You don’t happen to, ah, have intimate relationships with your female fans, don’t you?” I asked. He didn’t answer for so long that I thought he didn’t hear me. “How do you define ‘intimate’?” he finally said. I sighed and toyed around with my food. Suddenly I didn’t feel hungry anymore. “Never mind.”
His face had suddenly taken on a red flush of anger. “You just didn’t want to hear it don’t you?” he said quietly. The cheerful atmosphere we’ve been keeping up for the past hour had dissolved. Even the violin dudes at the corner stopped playing. I heard one of them cough as they all hastily retreated through the doors.
“Really, Aline, if there’s a contest on purity you’d win first prize. So what if I banged a couple of girls?” he said. “More than a couple, now that you’ve mentioned it,” I muttered. He rolled his eyes. “So sorry I’m not a goody-two-shoes like you. Probably never touched alcohol in your life either. Never knew what it feels like to be a weak failure.” “Calm down, Dave, I didn’t mean to upset you.” “I am not upset!” He stood up angrily. “Gah I can’t believe I agreed to this stupid dinner.” “Wait, Dave, you can’t leave yet. Chuck and Ashley—” I stopped as my eyes spotted an object that wasn’t there before. “Are those…condoms?”
He quickly grabbed them before I can take a closer look. “What’s it to you?” he said defensively. I stood up, feeling disgusted. “Geez, and I thought you’re better than that,” I said through gritted teeth. “How many poor girls you’ve charmed to sell their bodies to you, Dave? Bet you have a girlfriend in every country you’ve toured don’t you? All waiting for you to come back with more promises of meaningless sex.” For a moment he looked lost, and I realized with a shock that my cutting remark must’ve contained a ring of truth in it.
“That is none of your business!” he snapped, lunging at wrist. He looked dangerously angry. “Listen, I didn’t come here tonight so I can invite you to my bed—” “Well, you’ve convinced me,” I said dryly. “Now let me go before I call security.” Beep! Beep! Beep! We both turned around to see my cell phone flaring up. The caller ID read Randy Young. Why is it that my insufferable twin always calls me during bad times? I was tempted to let it ring but for some odd reason I didn’t.
“Oh for the love of Pete,” I grumbled, yanking my wrist away from David and grabbing my phone to answer. The frantic voice of my brother filled my ears, and I must’ve visibly paled because David didn’t interrupt me. “What’s wrong?” he asked when I hung up. “It’s Randy,” I said, my anger fading away. “He and the guys just got back from Florida.” “Oh my Gawd Jeff was eaten by a shark didn’t he?” David gasped. I shook my head grimly. “No, worse.”