I Guess I'll Never Get To Call You Mine

DAVID

I’ve gotten so many injuries in the last few days that I thought of changing the occupation in my ID card into ‘human punching bag’. Groaning, I went to the sink to get some ice cubes for my nose. Who knew Chuck can pack a punch? It’ll be so much easier if they decided to not keep it a secret. Everyone already knows anyway.
I flopped down on the couch, my head throbbing as I thought about last night. Aline had gotten a phone call from her brother Randy. According to him, he and the other guys had returned from Florida early because of Pierre, who said he didn’t feel very well and wanted to go back. After dropping Seb and Jeff off Pierre asked Randy to drive him to a pub so he can ‘clear his thoughts’. Anyways, Pierre had been acting kind of off all day so Randy decided to follow him into the pub after a couple of hours to make sure he was OK.
He found Pierre totally wasting himself binge drinking his sorrows. With a lot difficulty Randy managed to drag him out, calling Aline with his cell phone because he needed someone to drive while he held back a violently drunk Pierre. He could’ve called Jeff or Seb, but I guess he wasn’t thinking straight last night and his sister was the first person that came to mind.
Aline and I rushed to the scene immediately of course. Let’s say it wasn’t easy trying to bundle an alcohol-induced man who’s kicking and punching and screaming at you for all it’s worth into a car. Pierre must’ve kicked me below the belt more than once. We found afterward from reading text messages in Pierre’s cell phone that his brother Jay had been diagnosed with cancer and was given only a few months to live. Pierre had gotten the message just when the guys arrived in Miami. That idiot kept it all to himself instead of telling them the truth and then he went into a pub and got drunk. That really was what happened last night.
I rubbed my temples and sighed. According to Aline and Randy, Jeff and Seb found out this morning. They were also worried about Pierre’s odd behavior and had rung his parents. We’d all decided to keep it to ourselves for now. After all, it’s not our right to inform everyone we know that Jay Bouvier is dying. Now that I think about it, pretty much all of us knew but Chuck. But we can’t just ring him up and say, “Hey guess what? Jay had cancer and he’s going to die.” Besides, he looked upset enough already thinking Aline and I did it. I thought again on what I said to him and laughed harshly to myself. Okay, it’s my fault too, I should have chose my words more carefully and be less vague and, but hey they said to keep it a secret.
I removed the ice from my forehead, bemused. I’d told him that if Aline said yes I would’ve had sex with her. Hmm…would I? She’s really not my type. She’s not pretty exactly, but there’s something about her that makes her different. She had a certain pureness about her, mixed with just the right amount of awkwardness and shyness that makes her quite endearing. She’d spent time with me because she enjoyed being with me, not because she wanted to take advantage of me. That kind of girl is hard to come by ever since Simple Plan got propelled to the world stage. She’s also genuinely nice and understanding although I knew she wouldn’t hesitate to fight back if something goes against her values. Judging from our argument last night, casual sex is definitely a big ‘no’.
People often wonder my lifestyle. I’d found a rather interesting article about me once carefully analyzing my dating life, which consists of dumping one girl for the next for the last six months. They said I’m not the committed type of guy. I smiled dryly at that thought. Who says I wasn’t committed? It could be that those girls dumped me instead of me breaking up with them. Besides, I didn’t date most of the women they mentioned. There’s a difference between going out in public and seriously dating. To be honest, I haven’t dated in awhile, although I suppose I’m sort of trying to get there. Sure, I didn’t want to be single forever. There is emotional emptiness when you’re all alone. Maybe that’s why I bedded just about any attractive girl who gives me a second glance. Maybe that was why I was out all night most days, wandering about town like a possessed person. Maybe it was the reason of my mental tiredness, the weary feeling that wasn’t supposed to be there.
I got up and began pulling clothes out of my dresser. I think I’ll head over to the Bouviers’ too. Aline told me she was going there with Seb. I owe her an apology.

“David.” Mrs. Bouvier’s normally welcoming smile is absent when she opened the door. “Hi Mrs. B,” I said, trying to sound cheerful, “Is everyone here?” In answer she opened the door wider and gestured me to come in. “Yes, they are here.” She seemed to be in the verge of telling me something, but pressed her lips together and showed me to the living room.
Pierre was seated on a couch, his head in his hands. Randy and Sébastien were on either side of him, looking worried. Jeff stood over them with a face that looked dead. I barely had time to register their expressions when I saw who they were all looking at. Aline and Chuck are standing in the middle of the room, and they were arguing.