I Guess I'll Never Get To Call You Mine

ALINE

I rushed out of the Bouviers’ house, almost stepping on their dog’s tail on the way. As soon as the door closed behind me I resisted an urge to throw a rock, punch a tree, scream at an unassuming passerby, whatever. Gawd, I loathe arguments. Sometimes guys are just as dramatic as girls are. I slumped on the front steps and tried not to think what just happened.
We’d all come to give Pierre moral support regarding his brother Jay when Charles suddenly showed up and started ranting about being left out. Before we can make sense of all this he turned to me and began fuming on David. Okay, ever since this morning his older bro instincts have flared up just because I’ve got a few bruises on my arms. I have to admit that holding Pierre down last night wasn’t easy. But Chuck was even more pissed than my brother Jason is whenever we ate his Pop-Tarts by accident.
I grew up with five brothers, so I knew that protectiveness is a gut instinct in males, even if they didn’t like to admit it themselves. When The Youngbloods first started most of our road crew—the guitar and drum techs, the sound engineer, the manager, etc—are guys. To my brothers’ annoyance and my embarrassment, I was pretty much spoiled and the center of attention just because I’m the only one around without a Y chromosome. I’m used to guys looking out for me, but nearly braining your band mate with a flower vase the moment he walked in is just extreme.
I stood up, thinking that I’d better leave. I didn’t want to face the painful scene I left behind me. I was contemplating on whether to waste $20 on a cab or burn calories and walk the five miles home when the door opened behind me. “Hey,” Seb said. “If you’re going to bail at least take my car.” He tossed me the keys and I caught them gratefully, knowing his protectiveness over the car is almost borderline excessive.
“They’ll calm down,” Seb said in response to my unasked question. “Although I think Chuck might’ve done David serious brain damage if Jeff and Randy hadn’t bodyslammed him.” He grinned at what probably is my shocked expression. “Nah, I was joking. We’re guys. We just need to let off steam by showing a bit of muscle for a while. David’s fine. His mom dropped him on his head a lot as a kid. He’s got a thick skull.”
“It’s not David’s fault, really.” I paused, thinking of our conversation back at my hotel a few nights ago. When people discuss me they’d always say I’m nuts. I’m always going to be ‘the crazy one of Simple Plan. “He’s a good guy, Seb. I think…I think you guys should take him seriously once in awhile.” I smiled faintly. “He didn’t do anything to me last night. Chuck thought he hurt me, but who knows Pierre had a death grip?” Seb was quiet for moment. “He cares about you, you know,” he said carefully. “He was just worried.” “I don’t know, Seb. He is my best friend but I don’t need a bodyguard 24/7.” “I guess,” he said, looking at me strangely. “I just thought you should go easy on him.” “I know, I shouldn’t have told him to leave me alone,” I sighed. “I’m a horrible friend.”
“No you’re not. If I were you I’d probably tell him the same thing and then dump him into the St Lawrence River,” Seb said firmly. “Look, I’ve called Laurence and told her that you’ll meet her in St Catherine’s. Go hang out with her and have some girl time.” He smiled. “You deserve a break from us boys. Who knows? We still might have cooties.” I had to smile back. “Thanks, man,” I said. He nodded. “My pleasure. I hope you have fun. Now you’ll have to excuse me because I need to go back to make sure that everyone is still alive.”