I Guess I'll Never Get To Call You Mine

SÉBASTIEN

“I’m the world’s most terrible boyfriend,” I sniffled. “I second that,” David sighed. “I can’t believe you managed to lose two grown-up women in just a few hours. Did you call the police?” “I did. They didn’t find my car yet so they can’t start looking for clues. I’m so worried Dave. What if something happened to them?” “I’m sure they’re fine,” David said doubtfully. “Maybe they just got lost.” I stared at him. “Sure, Aline spent nearly eighteen years of her life in this city. Of course she’ll get lost.” “Right,” he said in a small voice. “Did you tell the others?” “Jay was admitted to the hospital today and Pierre came with him. I didn’t want to stress him out any further. I didn’t know how to break this to Randy so I kept him in the dark. Chuck is on his away as fast as the subway can take him and Jeff’s not here. He’d gone to Longueuil this afternoon remember? I sent him a text.” I buried my face in my hands. Actually, I felt more like burying myself in the ground. I’m such a stupid idiot.
“Come on, Crabby.” Ever since The Little Mermaid I’ve been feeling kind of resentful toward my parents for naming me Sébastien. “You know Laurence and Aline better than me. What do you think happened to them?” David said desperately. I shrugged. “They wouldn’t get lost or get into accident. Aline knows these streets like the back of her hand and she’s a good driver.” “Maybe something held them up. That’s why they can’t call.” “Like what? Aline is not one for mysterious disappearances. She’d call Randy if she’s going home later than planned, and if she’s in trouble he would’ve told us.” “Okay, maybe their phones died.” “Could be. But Aline had two phones, one for personal use and one professional. Besides, what are the chances of having three dead phones at the same time?” I looked up to see David staring suspiciously at me. “What?”
“Nothing,” he shrugged. “It seems, like, um, you know Aline quite well.” “We’re friends.” “Yeah, but I thought she hangs out with Chuck all the time.” I sighed. “Not always one hundred percent of the time.”