I Guess I'll Never Get To Call You Mine

SÉBASTIEN

“Can I borrow your phone?” David asked. “My battery’s dead.” “Go ahead,” I said miserably. The police search uncovered nothing so far, due in part that the authorities seemed unwilling to take this case seriously. They just can’t believe that Laurence and Aline would just disappear off the face of the Earth with no trace of evidence. Since they couldn’t find my car they simply concluded that the girls were probably held up somewhere and forgot to call us. We’d protested, begged, threatened and screamed to no avail. Now the three of us are sitting on the front steps of the police station, exhausted and weary from today’s events.
“You’ve got a text from Jeff,” David announced, holding up my mobile phone. He frowned. “That’s weird, why would he send you an empty text?” “You know David, no one cares, OK?” Chuck said, exasperated. “So shut it.” Well, at least he’s actually addressing Dave directly now. “No, really, this is fishy,” David went on eagerly. “Jeff knows full well that Aline and Laurence are missing. He’d have responded the minute you sent him that SOS text.” “Not now David,” I sighed, “You’re just being ridiculous.”
“No, no I’m serious.” He looked a little angry now. “You guys never listen to me. Look, he sent that text about ten minutes after you alerted him of the girls’ disappearance. He was about to reply to you.” “For the first time in his life David actually has a point,” Chuck said grudgingly. Before David can object he quickly carried on, “But the fact that he sent an empty text means he got held up. Something must’ve happened…something serious. If it wasn’t he’d sent a follow-up text saying that first once is an accident.” David nodded eagerly. “I think he saw or found something and was about to tell you but he was interrupted.”
I sat up a little straighter, beginning to see where this is going. “He might found something related to Aline and Lau being MIA,” I said. “But someone caught him.” “Where was he after we left the Bouviers’?” Chuck asked sharply. My heart skipped a beat. “On a ferry to Longueuil.” “Then we have a boat to catch.”