I Guess I'll Never Get To Call You Mine

DAVID

“You’re kidding me,” Seb said, aghast, as Chuck and I jumped on the ‘borrowed’ motorboat and started up the engine. “You can’t just steal some patrol lifeguard’s boat! Thieves get thrown into prison.” “Well, it’s a good thing we’re not thieves then,” Chuck said. “Now get your ass here will you?” “Laurence could be in big trouble right now,” I said. “They’re probably torturing her by pulling out her fingernails one by—” “Okay, okay I get the picture,” Seb said, looking pained. “I’ll go. Um, you guys know how to drive a boat, right?”
“Of course not. What do think I look like? A boating instructor?” I said as Seb turned to Chuck desperately. “I can’t even drive a car,” Chuck shrugged. “How hard can this be?” He released the brake and Seb and I were immediately thrown facedown onto the deck as we raced at high speed. “Screw you Chuck! Slow down!” I screamed. “I can’t slow down! I don’t know how!” he yelled back. “F*ck.” I shoved him for the controls, and he tried to grab them back. Of course, we ended up breaking the thing. “Look what have you done! Now how are we going to steer?” he shouted. “We’re going to crash!”
Before I can answer Seb leapt up and kicked the engine away, effectively bringing us into an abrupt halt. Unfortunately, it also meant we’re stuck in the middle of the river with no prospect of going any further, nor can we turn back and return to shore. It’s a good thing Seb found a solution before Chuck and I can blame and then possibly strangle each other. “We’ve got paddles,” Seb said, grabbing a bunch of oars from underneath the seats. “And if you guys take off your shirts we can make a sail.” “Are you out of your mind?” I said, at exactly the same time that Chuck said, “You’re a dick.” Seb raised an eyebrow. Despite his initial panic, he’s now surprisingly calm for someone whose girlfriend just got nabbed. “First of all, stealing this boat is your idea. Also, our friends are MIA and if you two keep on complaining instead of actually helping I would honestly knock you over into the river and give you hypothermia.”
“Fine,” I grumbled, and was about to pull my shirt off when I felt Seb’s firm hand on my arm. “Wait,” he said. “You and Chuck have been giving each other the cold shoulder ever since I called you both to help out. If we’re going to make an effective rescue team there’s got to be no hard feelings between us.” “God help me,” Chuck rolled his eyes. Seb ignored him. “Now shake hands and apologize.” “Yeah, sure, whatever.” Chuck turned to me. “I’m sorry I tried to kill you with Pierre’s mom’s vase this morning.” “Apology accepted,” I replied. We both looked at Seb, as if to say There! Are you satisfied now? Seb shook his head.
I sighed. “I’m sorry you thought I had sex with Aline. I know you guys are tight and I understand you’re concerned about her wellbeing. It was stupid and rash of me for thinking about something like that, but I was vulnerable and insecure back then and…and I kind of opened up to her. She was really understanding and all and I…” “Couldn’t help yourself?” Chuck said. To my surprise, he nodded. “I know what you mean. She’s an awesome listener. Look, I’m really sorry for those words I said at your apartment. It’s just…Aline and I…you see…” He tried to find better words to say but I totally get him.
Aline is…I don’t know, different. She’s one of the toughest and strongly independent people I know, but yet in another way she can appear to be innocent and delicate, from her childish pranks and her dry sense of humor, and the way she acted dressed and acted more like a teenager in high school than a guitarist for an international band. She can be so…pure sometimes with her honest simplicity and open friendliness. In some ways that can make her seem almost naïve, but that just adds more to this something she had about her that makes you go on protective mode whenever you’re around her, like you’re trying to shield her innocence from the harsh world of reality. I’ve only known her for a short while but now it’s like I’ve known her forever. She’s like a close friend already, like my kid sister, and I can’t stand the thought of her getting hurt any more than Chuck did.
“I understand,” I said softly. “I didn’t want anything to happen to her either.” He nodded and turned away from me, his cheeks slightly red. “Well that was one hell of an apology,” Seb said. “Now shirts off please I need it for the sail. Then we’ll just have to paddle with oars all the way to Longueuil.”

I think we must’ve acquired the wrath of the King of the River (I know Poseidon is god of the ocean, and I’m trying to think up of a contemporary) because we’ve got some pretty rotten luck. We’ve made the sail, but there’s no wind to fill it up so Chuck and I are shirtless for nothing (why didn’t Seb volunteer his clothing as well I forgot to ask). Second, rowing is hard work. I think we’ve moving at the speed of a millimeter a minute. Third, after about fifteen minutes we discovered a leak in our boat and we’re now effectively sinking.
“Oh I give up!” Seb groaned as the water rose to waist-level. Chuck and I are still trying to dump water as fast as we could. “Why don’t we just swim to that ferry over there and ask for help?” Seb asked, pointing to the distance. “That’s a good idea,” Chuck said. “Especially since that’s the ferry we’ve been looking for.”