I Guess I'll Never Get To Call You Mine

ALINE

“You’re kidding.” I’d just walked out of captivity with David in tow to see a bunch of burly men all tied up and disabled in the cargo hold. But what surprised me more is the presence of my brothers—Randy, Marcus, Jason and Sean—in flesh in blood, standing around grimly as if they were part of an action movie scene. The only one missing is our little brother, Adrien. How the heck did they get here?!
Jason grinned at me as if it was today was just like any other. “What’s up, little sis? Our plane landed early and we found everyone in our welcoming party missing. Good thing we passed by that crowd near Old Port.” Sean shook his head. “They were mumbling a bunch of stuff about members of the band Simple Plan hijacking a motorboat, and then there was a distress call from a passenger ferry. We had to steal some patrol lifeguard’s boat to get here. What were you thinking?”
“I decided I wanted to get kidnapped today so I hired these guys to stage a plot, drug Laurence and me to this ferry and then beat you people up.” I sighed. “Glad to see you too, bro. Aren’t you even remotely relieved your sister is safe?” Marcus smiled. “Of course we are. What’s weird though is that when we showed up the bad guys were retreating. It’s like they suddenly had a change of heart and it’s not because they’re outnumbered either.” “They were really good fighters. I think I broke a ribcage,” Jeff winced. “I think we could’ve gotten beaten but that creepy businessman dude suddenly just walked in and said, ‘Gentlemen, new orders. We are to leave these fools alone for the time being’. Then before we could say anything he just…well, he took a lifeboat and left with a couple of his guys.” He gestured to the men they’d managed to tied up. “Without their boss we quickly got these idiots.”
“What I want to know is why they specifically target you,” Randy said. I saw Chuck glance briefly at my direction, where David had an arm wrapped around me. The poor guy is so wrecked up he could hardly stand. “I mean, why would they want you for?” my twin continued. “Yeah why would anyone want Aline?” Jason joked. “This is not funny,” David said. “Aline could’ve been seriously injured. I propose that until we find out what their objective is I propose that someone ought to be with her at all times.” “Well in that case—” Sean started but I cut him off. “No way I’m not going with you or Marc or Jason, and certainly not Randy. I know your idea of keeping me safe is to lock me up and confine me.” “True,” Jason shrugged. “Although she does come up with the most creative escape schemes.”
“Fine, what about what one you guys then?” Marcus said reasonably. “David? I guess the rescuer stakes the most claim.” “What?” David blushed. “No, we all worked together on this. Seb came up with the idea of—” “It’s all good. You can have bodyguard duty,” Seb said quickly. He had his arms around Laurence, who still looked a little sulky. “Look guys this really isn’t necessary,” I protested. David turned to Chuck, and then he and I exchanged looks. It was weird. I can usually tell what he was thinking, but this time his expression is completely blank. I waited for him to object. I know everyone is concerned about my safety, but surely my best friend would back me up on this one, right? He knows how I hate having my freedom restricted. But then after today’s fight I’m not sure if we were still friends. “David should stay with you,” he said finally, before turning around and heading back up the stairs, as if he couldn’t stand the sight of me any longer.