I Guess I'll Never Get To Call You Mine

ASHLEY

“Did he agree to it?” Carol asked eagerly. “Of course he does! How could he refuse to wed the mother of his future child,” I said airily. “Wow so you actually proposed to him?” Violet said. “First, you slept J.S. Then, you tried to get Aline to date David. Afterward you had her kidnapped. Now you got ‘pregnant’ by him and actually forced him to marry you?” She looked almost impressed. “It wasn’t forced, honey, I just hinted right,” I said sweetly. “The wedding is in three weeks.” I waited for the shock to subside.
“Three weeks?!” “The sooner we’re married, the better. I don’t need to have any of his friends objecting. I’m not stupid. His band members have more or less given me the cold shoulder ever since I dumped him for the first time.” “I don’t blame them,” Violet smirked. I chose to ignore that. “I managed to convince him that it’s better to be married before the baby is born…” I glanced up to see Carol looking at me in confusion. “What?” I snapped. “But…what about J.S.?” she said. “What about him?” “Well, if you and Chuck are going to get married, then what should he do?” “Nothing. I only keep him around to supplement my income. Chuck is always the real objective,” I shrugged. “Too bad, he’s actually a pretty good guy, and a really awesome kisser. Not as rich as Charles, but loaded enough. Maybe one of you could…” Violet let out a laugh. “You’re bad, Ashley,” she grinned. “Thanks, but no thanks. I don’t date geeky doctors.” “He’s not a doctor, he’s a vet,” I said. “Anyways it’s your loss.”
“You know, once you’re a wife you actually need to cook and clean for him and accompany him on tours.” “Oh, the maid and the chef can do that. As for accompanying him on tours, well he can count on me on not coming. No way will I waste my time watching a bunch of sweaty men play shows.” “You have a chef and a maid?” “No, but I will hire them soon after the wedding. Now enough with this dreary wife talk. I am now officially an engaged woman. We should go out and celebrate.” I dug into my handbag and pulled out Chuck’s credit card. “Champagne’s on me.”