I Guess I'll Never Get To Call You Mine

ASHLEY

“Can we just forget all this and enjoy the reception?” I said. Okay, so I overcharged my new husband’s credit card, but so what? He can just play more shows and make more cash. “I’ve booked the ballroom of The Queen Elizabeth Hotel—” “You know what,” Chuck cut off, “Do me a favor and shut up, will you?” He shoved his hands in his pockets and increased his pace to get ahead of me. I cursed my high heels and I strode forward to keep up.
“I don’t understand why this bothers you so much. All right, I went a little overboard but I planned the perfect wedding. I just wanted to please you. I love you.” “Oh really? It seems like it’s not me you’re determined to marry, it’s my money,” he said bitterly. His phone beeped again and he took a moment to answer it. “And it looks like they froze my bank account and canceled all my credit cards. Starting from tomorrow they’ll start liquidating my assets one by one to cover our debts.” He gave an empty laugh and switched off his phone. “Tell me, Ash, what else did you buy? The Koh-i-Noor? A private island in South America?”
“Not much. Just some clothes and jewelry.” “Like I’m going to believe that. Make a list of all the stuff you bought and e-mail it to me. Tomorrow we’re gathering them up and we’re selling them.” “Selling them?!” “You’re pregnant with our baby, remember? We’re going to need the means to support it. Where else can we get the money?” he shrugged. “Oh, and one more thing. I’ve canceled our honeymoon. You need to get a job and start helping pay the bills. It’s going to take more than a year to settle a debt like this.” “What? You can’t treat me like this! I’m with child!” “You can take your maternity break when the baby is due,” he said mercilessly. “You married me, remember? Husband and wife share a life together. Well, I’m broke and this is my life now. You’re my wife now and your job is to support me. Congratulations.”