I Guess I'll Never Get To Call You Mine

DAVID

Sure enough, within half an hour of Randy Young’s phone call we’ve got Randy, Pierre, Seb, Jeff and Chuck around the sickbed. I sighed and retreated to the back as everyone swarmed Aline. She tried to reassure everyone that she was OK, and I dimly recall that she was uncomfortable with attention. Considering the fact that I’m still recovering from a slight hangover, it’s pretty impressive I actually remembered stuff about our childhoods. I’m never that soppy guy who likes to reminisce about The Glory Old Days.
“Okay, okay, she’s fine,” I said impatiently, a little irritated at all the attention Aline is getting. Really, all I did was run over a foot a little with my bike. Okay, that got to hurt but it could’ve been worse. “I don’t believe it.” Seb shook his head. “I mean, we all know that David’s a moron but this is just so incredibly stupid.” “It was an accident,” Aline said quickly. “It was dark and I didn’t see where I was going. Besides, my ankle’s fine. Dave said nothing’s broken.” “Jeff will grow hair by the time David gets a doctor’s credentials,” Pierre smirked. “Anyways, weekend plans are off now. We’re ready to serve the suffering victim.”
This is too much for me. Okay, I feel bad for knocking Aline over but there’s no way I’m canceling all my weekend plans just because she bruised her ankle. I was about to protest but Aline beat me to it. “Oh no you shouldn’t cancel bowling just because of me. I’ll be great.”
“No you’re not.” We all turned toward Chuck. He hadn’t spoken a word at all when he came rushing in with the others. While they all crowded around Aline he’d stood a little to the back with a strange look on his face. “Someone should stay with her. I mean, she can’t manage on her own with a sprained ankle,” he pointed out. “Sure, I’ll stay with her,” Randy offered. Good, problem solved, I thought. But darn Aline had to put her two cents in.
“No, Rand, you’ve been looking forward to this weekend. You have to go.” He started to protest, but Chuck held his hand up. “True, you two don’t go to Montréal much. You go, Rand, I’ll stay with her.” “But why does he have to stay with Aline when he hasn’t done a thing? I mean, he’s not the one who hit her or anything.” Pierre said. “I say David stay with her.” Chuck frowned. “Are you kidding? David can’t even take care of himself!” “HEY! David is listening!” I said, waving my arms impatiently.
“Look, I don’t want anyone fighting,” Aline said, blushing. “I’ll be perfectly fine—” “No you’re not,” I said, irritated. Just because I have ADHD and may be a bit reckless (okay, fine, I’m actually pretty reckless) doesn’t mean I’m irresponsible. I always hate the fact that I’ve got this image about being ‘the crazy one’ of the band. I’m not always on sugar rush all the time like they all think I am. It started with that DVD thing Chuck and Pat made, A Big Package For You. Sometimes I wish I had less publicity. Common disadvantage of being a famous rock star, I’d say. “I’ll stay with you, Al. You all enjoy your weekend.”