I Guess I'll Never Get To Call You Mine

SÉBASTIEN

Pierre and I were having an early morning cup of coffee in the studio when Aline walked in, smiling as she grabbed her guitar to begin today’s songwriting session. “I’m guessing that conversation with Chuck went well?” Pierre said. “The fact that he doesn’t turn into a raving lunatic when he sees me is a good sign.” “He’s still an amnesiac though?” “He wants to remember, and it’s been frustrating for him.” “It’s frustrating for all of us,” I agreed. “But putting that aside momentarily, no work for you today, Al. You deserve a break.” “What? I can’t do that!” she protested as Pierre took her guitar from her. “It’s all been arranged. David’s taking you out for the day,” I said. “He’s waiting for you outside right now.” “But—” “Aline, you’ve been stressing yourself out about Chuck these past two weeks. You need to clear your head. Now go or I might have to personally drag you outside myself.” She grinned wickedly. “Well, if you put it that way…” she chuckled. “Thanks, Crabby.” She gave me a hug and clapped Pierre on the shoulder before going out the door.
I saw Pierre watching me strangely and shrugged. “What? She’s a good friend, and I care about her welfare.” “You know, you never told me why you two broke up.” “I didn’t.” “Care to elaborate?” he raised his eyebrows. I sighed, knowing he wasn’t going to let this drop unless I told him. “I was…kind of crushing on someone else at that time.” “Laurence?” “I’d never figured she’d go for a loser like me.” “Damn right,” Pierre laughed. “You should’ve just asked Lau out in the first place.” “I was too shy, OK? Besides, I wasn’t too sure of my feelings yet.” I smiled. “I know now she’s the only one for me.” “That’s being unfair to Aline though. You know you like someone else but you dated her.” “I don’t know, it just seemed legit at that time. Laurence wasn’t even aware of my existence at that time, and I really do like hanging out with Aline.” I paused. “It would never work out though. I think she liked someone else too anyway.”
“What’s that?” Pierre’s eyes gleamed at the thought of gossip. He’s been much happier when it was announced that his brother is responding well to treatment and had a high chance of recovery. “Who’d she like?” “Well she didn’t exactly tell me outright. It’s just…something I’ve noticed. It’s not that obvious at first glance but if you tune in more closely…” I watched in amusement as Pierre’s brow furrowed in concentration, trying to guess whom the mystery person is. Suddenly, his eyes widened. “No way,” he shook his head. “It couldn’t be—” “It’s him,” I said dryly. “But, but…” Pierre still looked dumbfounded. “It’s just too bizarre. I would never have imagined it. But you’re right. It’s so obvious now that I think about it. I just never would’ve thought—” “I know,” I said. “He likes her too you know.” “Does he? He never seems to take an interest.” “Oh, he’s just being an idiot and is yet to realize that what he feels is more than just friendly affection.” I rolled my eyes. “But trust me, he likes her. He always has.”