I Guess I'll Never Get To Call You Mine

PIERRE

Chuck just about gave me a heart attack. First of all, not a lot of people know the exact rooms where Simple Plan underwent their songwriting and recording process. Second, I thought Chuck was supposed to be a total amnesiac and not remember a thing. We never took him to the studio after his accident, and we’d assumed that he’d forgotten the location.
“Hey buddy,” I called out. “Sup?” “Not much.” He looked pretty glum, and since he clearly did not want to explain why, I shrugged and patted the seat next to me. “Well, I’m writing a new song for our new album. Do you want to take a look?”
Album development had gone well so far. Chuck had managed to write Your Love Is A Lie and No Love before that car hit him, and we decided that those songs would do. Those long, painful days when he locked himself up away from the rest of us, communicating only by scribbled notes had generated Time To Say Goodbye and When I’m Gone. David’s What If, The End and Holding On made the cut. Together with The Youngbloods, we experimented with a lot of different sounds and did Take My Hand and Generation. The song I wrote for my brother, Save You was already decided to be our next single.
But somehow, I felt like we need one more song. Most of our lyrics this time had not been very optimistic, and I didn’t want to suddenly change courses and make a one last happy song, but I thought of a different theme, something we’ve never really done before. I decided to write a love song.
“What do you think?” I said, handing him my notebook. In it I’d scribbled the first verse, which is all I came up with today. I didn’t even think of a title yet.

You look so beautiful today
When you're sitting there it's hard for me to look away
So I try to find the words that I could say
I know distance doesn't matter but you feel so far away
And I can't lie
Every time I leave my heart turns gray
And I wanna come back home to see your face tonight
Cause I just can't take it
I watched as Chuck read it without expression, and then he took my pen and slowly began to write, occasionally pausing to think and to cross out a word here and there, but his hand is steady, and I peeked over his shoulder to see the lyrics gradually growing:

Another day without you with me
Is like a blade that cuts right through me
But I can wait
I can wait forever
When you call my heart stops beating
When you're gone it won't stop bleeding
But I can wait
I can wait forever

I know it feels like forever
I guess that's just the price I gotta pay
But when I come back home to feel your touch
Makes it better
Until that day
There's nothing else that I can do
And I just can't take it
I just can't take it

He re-wrote my verse at the end, bit the end of the pen thoughtfully, and then scribbled ‘I Can Wait Forever’ at the top before handing the book back to me. “Um, thanks,” I said, not sure what to say. “I wrote it with someone very special in mind.” “I know,” he said, not meeting my eyes directly. “I did too.”