I Guess I'll Never Get To Call You Mine

ASHLEY

I knew something was up when Chuck returned late today. He is so organized his punctuality tended to creep me out at times. “Hey baby,” I said, sitting up in bed. “I thought you were going to be home by eight.” “I was, but it took a little longer than I thought,” he said, smiling to himself as he went to the fridge. “Oh really? What did you do?” “I met an old friend.” “Who is it?” “It doesn’t matter. You didn’t know her.”
I immediately sat up straight. So this friend is female, eh? Sure I know Chuck hung out with plenty of other women, especially if he’s with Pierre, but there was something in his voice that made me want to ask more. He sounded…discreet, like he wanted to keep this information to himself. That, combined with the fact that he got home late drew mental warnings.
“What’s her name?” I asked, smiling sweetly at him. Time to turn on the old Ashley charm. Guys are so easy to control. Just show them a little cleavage and they’ll tell you anything. “Come on, babe, maybe I can meet her sometime. She sounded like a close friend.” I am wearing a pair of figure-hugging tights and a cotton singlet, and I knew I looked good.
“Her name is Aline. We’ve been friends since we were kids,” Chuck said carefully, his gaze lingering on my breasts. I grinned. “That’s sweet. You should invite her over sometime. Now why don’t you shower up and we can open a bottle of wine and spend the rest of the night in bed.” “Sounds like a good plan. Be back in a sec.”

As soon as I heard the bathroom door closed I reached for a tablet and immediately Googled this Mystery Girl. It wasn’t that hard if your boyfriend is a member of a famous band. All I need to do is type ‘Chuck Comeau Aline’ in the keyword search and immediately a bunch of articles popped up. I clicked on the first one to reveal a rather old-school photo of a bunch of kids in some kind of neighborhood.
I recognized the members of Chuck’s band Simple Plan immediately. They were all still teenagers back then, thin and gawky-looking and grinning mischievously at the camera. Oh Gawd, Jeff still even had hair. But they weren’t alone. They were surrounded by four other guys around their age, their silent laughter frozen into the photo. A couple of them are holding acoustic guitars. They looked eerily familiar. Then I noticed the sole girl in the picture.
She was standing next to Chuck, looking a little unsure of herself but nevertheless smiling. Chuck had an arm wrapped around her shoulder and looked at ease, although I knew very well that he told me that he was shy around girls growing up. Both of them looked comfortable with each other, so they must be close. Why hadn’t he told me all this time? He said Pierre is his best buddy but he never mentioned a girl.
The caption underneath the picture said Members of the soon-to-be-famous bands Simple Plan and The Youngbloods as teenagers. I snapped my fingers in jubilation. That’s why these boys looked familiar! The Youngbloods, of course! That’s the sibling band that started around the same time as Simple Plan. I had no idea they knew each other before their careers went professional. I always thought Marcus Young looked pretty hot, especially in a tank top.
Anyways, I didn’t like the sound of this girl, Aline. Chuck’s not showing it but I can tell she’s important to him. That man is so soft hearted he didn’t even hang out with any single girls when we started dating (or re-dating, since this is the second time we’ve reconciled). He’s just that loyal. Based on a website search I did on Aline Young she appears to be single. If Chuck is willing to make an exception for her then she must be dangerous. I can’t afford for my boyfriend to have any more women dominating his life except me. I have to make sure that he doesn’t have any more alone time with her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Carol and Violet are fictional characters I made up. They are not real people.