I Guess I'll Never Get To Call You Mine

SÉBASTIEN

“Argh I can’t stand it anymore!” No one bothered to look up as I got up from the couch and started pacing around restlessly. We’re supposed to have a band meeting today to discuss the music composition for our third album, but so far things are going badly. First of all, David didn’t show up, but that’s not really a big surprise since he’s always late anyways. He’ll probably show up sooner or later apologizing for his misplaced phone or broken motorbike or simply just forgetting. Secondly, no one seemed to come up with good ideas for songs.
I headed over to Pierre and Chuck, the main songwriting duo behind Simple Plan. “Come on, guys, fire up your brains! What’s wrong with you two?” I asked. Pierre looked unhappily from his laptop. “My brother’s not feeling well,” he sighed. “I’m worried about him and I can’t think of any good song ideas right now.” “The last one we came up with sounded alright,” Jeff said. “Yeah it’s OK but it’s…mechanical,” I said deliberately. “It sounded empty.” “What do you suggest we do then?” Pierre asked, annoyed. I threw my hands up in despair. Truth to be told, I didn’t know what direction we should go either.
“What about you Chuck? You haven’t said anything at all,” Jeff remarked. “What? Huh?” Chuck seemed to finally take notice of everyone staring at him. He’d seemed to be a little off today. For the first time this morning, Pierre let out a wry smile. “Did Ashley show you a good time last night?” he guessed. From the look on Chuck’s face, they definitely had done it.
“Dude, I’m glad you had such a healthy sex life but,” I gestured toward a sheaf of our half-finished lyrics, “we’ve got more things to prioritize. I think maybe we should invite a guest artist or something—” “What about The Youngbloods?” Chuck said suddenly. Pierre’s brow furrowed. “Randy and Aline are only to be here for two weeks, you know. Besides, Sean and Marcus and Jason aren’t here.” “Well, why don’t we ask them to come over? They’ve rarely stayed in Montréal for more than a couple of weeks ever since they moved. Besides, we’ve never collaborated. The fans would be thrilled.”
“They’re working on their own album,” Pierre said after a momentary silence. “So what? We’ll just collab for a couple of songs and give each other ideas and then work on our own albums then we go out and have a good time. What do you think?” He looked at us so earnestly that I didn’t even know what to say. “It sounds approachable,” Jeff finally said. “That’s settled then,” Chuck smiled. “I’ll give Sean a call.”
As he left Jeff nudged me with his foot and grinned. “Someone’s in a good mood today.” Pierre shrugged. “Probably Ashley. I never understood why he took her back after that last…incident.” All of us winced at the memory. It’s been agreed between us that Chuck’s relationships with his girlfriends aren’t very…harmonious. “Was that why he wanted to ditch bowling yesterday? To be with his girlfriend?” Pierre asked, looking less-than-amused. He didn’t get along with Ashley ever since she dumped Chuck for the first time. Jeff didn’t look too happy either.
I shrugged. “It’s either that or…he went to check up on Aline. Personally I think it’s the latter.” I picked up a magazine and flopped back down on the couch. “He’s the sort of guy who’d do that sort of thing.” Jeff smiled. “Or he wanted to avoid you. You were going to throw an egg at him.” “Only pussies ditch bowling,” I said sincerely.