A New Beginning

This story is for this contest: Mibba Magazine's "Doorway of Possibilities" Contest

I would like to dedicate this story to my best friend, Eli. He's my inspiration to do great things everyday. I love him like a brother and I wouldn't change a thing about him.

Yes, this story is based on a true story but a few names and other details have been changed for privacy reasons, ect. Also, I decided to write this story using Eli's POV since this story is dedicated/based on his life and our friendship through his eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~


My name is Eli James Thomas. I was born in a small hospital in Florida. My mother and father thought I was perfect in their eyes, and I thought the same about them. I was born deaf due to complications during the pregnancy, but my mother and father showered me with love anyway despite my deafness.

Kindergarten was probably one of the worst years for me. My teacher tried explaining to the other students that I couldn’t hear them since I was deaf. All the kids did was tease me. I never made any friends or talk to anyone due to fear of being continuously excluded and ignored.

My parents were completely horrified when they discovered I was being tormented and humiliated because of my differences. I was scared to go to school because I knew the day was going to consist of more deaf jokes while people pointed at me and laughed. Sometimes I couldn’t understand what people were saying to me. My mother had been teaching me sign language since I was born. The first word I signed was “mom.” American Sign Language was my first and only language. I hadn’t yet mastered reading people’s lips or attempting to use my voice. This was yet another reason for people to shun me.

After second grade, my parents had seen no change in the way people treated me at school. I moved to a private school. I guess you could say things were somewhat better. People respected my deafness, but I didn’t have anyone to call my friend.

I stayed at that school until I was sixteen. Things didn’t change at all. Sure, a few people would talk to me sometimes, but I never really connected with anyone.

Eventually, my father announced that he had received a new job and we would be moving from Florida to a super small town in Oregon. That also meant I was going to have to transfer to a new school.

Of course, I was nervous as hell. But, deep down inside I was a little hopeful. This was my chance to present myself as Eli, not the strange deaf kid sitting by himself. This was a new slate, a new opportunity... and I was excited to get my hands on it.