Status: Currently experiencing some serious writer's block on this story

The Girl Who Stayed

Peter's Secret

I hide behind the bushes and watch as the ship sail back and for the on the only ocean in Neverland. I pick up my telescope to watch the pirates run around pointlessly. My attentions land on One-eyed Alice, who swings a sword around mumbling angrily to herself. I know what makes her so agitated is that she can’t seem to find where I hide out. I smirk to myself, why she is even still here was beyond me. When Hook left I was sure she would follow, I mean the reason she came was for him. She loved him, at least that’s what she claimed but my constant taunting seemed to get to her. Let’s not to forget to mention the incident with her eye, I twirl my sword triumphantly looking away from the ship. But can that really be all that takes to separate yourself from someone you love? I think of Peter and wonder what he looks like now. What if he has gray hairs, or wrinkles? I shudder at the thought, I should visit him but who is to say he isn't dead by now.

I move away from the ocean I know Alice will give me no trouble today. I sigh out loud when I realize that I am feeling bored. A feeling I have not felt since I have come here to my true home. Perhaps that is why Peter took trips to London so often. Humans always seem to ease boredom, maybe it’s because of how they react to being some place so wonderful, and they can fight pirates with me, tease the mermaids and dance with the natives. While I am lost in thought Tuck zooms into my view panting with a worried look on his small handsome face. He wipes his burrow for a dramatic flair and tells me one of the lost girls wishes to leave. She wishes to return to her home in the states. I shrug and head toward the tree home; she is the third child to leave recently. I wonder why I can’t seem to keep them here. I gaze up at the tall trees that scrape the sky, filled with fairies and other flying beasts. I watch the birds zoom over the fairies ruffling their wings to cause trouble. I laugh and continue walking towards my home. Why would anyone want to leave this place? I find the tree and climb up it until I reach a well-hidden opening that is between branches. I climb in and I laugh as I slide down into the home, landing on a bed of leaves at the end.

“I am home children!” I shout and seven kids scramble to make a line in front for me.

I look at my four boys and three girls; I see that blue eyes was all packed and ready to go. I wonder where she planned to head to; she was brought her because she has no family. What could she possibly miss?

“Why are you leaving Blue?” I crouch down to be her height.

“Because I heard the birds talking mother, they said there was one who was here before you. That he was a pan but he found a better life on the mainland. They said he found a family.” Her eyes were wide with hope.

Stupid chatty birds, I could see from that look in her eyes that I won't be able to talk her out of this.

“Well if that’s what you want I can get a fairy to take you back but you know the rules here.”

“Once you leave you can never return with only one expectation, a Pan.” She recited it by memory knowing it so well from hearing the other two say it.

“Okay,” I straighten up and nod at Tuck; he zooms off to find her an escort. “I hope you find what you are looking for.”

“I will need a proper name; will you give me one Mother? So I can tell them what to call me.”

I could feel sadness in my chest; I didn't want her to go. I hate it that they all leave one way or another. I look into her wide blue eyes and think of the little sister I once had. How she would take my toys and pull my hair. The way she hugged me tight and would sneak into my room after she had a nightmare. I shake my head, she is gone now; I gave her and all of that up when I came here. Her name was Linda, since blue’s eyes reminds me of her, well I think that that would be a good name.

“Linda Darling.” I push her hair out of her face, “that’s your name now.”

I give her the last name that let's Peter know I am still here.

She wrapped her small arms around me in a hug. “I will never forget you Payton Pan.”

Tuck came in with an older, bored looking fairy and tugged the ends of Linda’s hair to get her moving. I watch as they go up the slide to exit Neverland. I heard the thunder rumbling in the clouds, I know this place was reflecting my mood. I would have to withhold the sadness so they can have a safe flight to the mainland. I look at the other children who let tears run freely down their faces. I give them a weak smile and tell Tuck to put them to bed. I pat them on the heads and walk away from them. I find the opening under the rug and I climb the hidden steps to the rooms down beneath the tree. I walk into Peter’s old room and pick up his journey. I read the sixth entry in it.

‘Loneliness is not just a grownup’s emotion.’
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know what you think ♥