Status: Currently experiencing some serious writer's block on this story

The Girl Who Stayed

The Call

I made the decision shortly after Blue leaves Neverland to visit London and see if perhaps Peter does live. Of course first I had to speak with the mermen. See the mermaids stole one of the crystals that can see into the mainland from the bird. Since they are kinder to me then the birds are I will go to them. Not to see the women through, they hate me, they think it’s my fault Peter left. They tell me I should have loved him properly. I wonder if that really would have made him stay here. If with him, Neverland would be happier. How was I even too know how to love him properly anyway? I am just a child. I sigh and roll my eyes at the notion. Maybe if I never came Peter would still be here? Or maybe he would have left this place anyway and it would have withered and died? The thought alone makes me sad. I never want Neverland to die.

I trek through the mountains high over the tops of the clouds. This is the only way to the mermen. I have to go into the hidden valley where their secret water runs. I had considered flying, but I rather walk, I don’t want any undue attention today. The last thing I need is for One-Eyed Alice to try to ambush me. No, today is about putting my plan into place. My focus is getting myself to the mainland. I push the branches to the side as I walk. Tuck zooms ahead of me, laughing at the slow pace I am moving at. I pull a branch back and it hits him to the ground, I laugh as he turns bright red with anger. I run ahead leaving Tuck behind throwing myself over the edge of the cliff that leads to the merpeople’s valley. I plunge headfirst into their waters. A dangerous thing to do I know, but I need to get their attention. I swim up to the surface and I see a flicker of tales, the mermen surfaced with me. I fly out of the water onto a rock. A grin breaks out on my face as they surround me, mischief glowing in their eyes.

“Hello Payton.” Their unofficial leader, Adriatic, hissed through his sharp teeth. “What can we do for you today my lovely one?”

His brushed his scaly hands against my face, I cringe inwardly but I make sure none of that is apparently on my face. Tuck hits Adriatic hand away, and growls at him. I swat at him and give him a scowl. If there is one thing I learned from Peter,it is that the merpeople must never be offended by you or you will pay. I would be reinforced when I lost some children to them. Drowned for their careless and reckless behavior, the merpeople are not known for their mercy. Or their patience for that matter.

“I need to see the crystal.” I lean in close, letting him see that I have the control. That I am not afraid of him.

He laughs softly, it sounds like nails grinding against a chalk board. “Do you now? Why is that? Planning a trip to the mainland?”

“Yes, to see Peter.” As I said his name the mermaids rip through the calm of the surface of the water.

“Let her have it,” the alpha female, Allure says in a softer voice, one I have never heard them use before. She swims closer to the rock and hands me the gem, “he has been asking for you by the window of his home. He is older, the tips of his hair have grayed." A strange sadness creeps into her usually cold eyes. He wishes to see you before his passing on from that world.”

I clutch the gem, his face appears. I can tell that its Peter I am seeing right away. He has aged well but age can never take away the unique smile Peter has. Perhaps he has aged so well because he ages more slowly than others since he spent so much time here, where time is frozen. I look over his face. He has the small wrinkles around his eyes like grandmother Jane used to have. The tips of his hair were indeed gray, like snow fell and covered his mostly red hair. His eyes held a wisdom that was not there when he was here. I could see his lips form my name, Maggie. He was calling for me.

I handed the gem back to Allure, “I will let him know that you send your love. Maybe he will take one more trip with me before…” I don’t finish my sentence, I choke on the thought. I get up and wave at them as I fly off to find a bird to lead me on my first trip to the mainland. “Goodbye, I will see you when I return.”

I whisper into the wind, “Tell Peter that I am coming.”