Status: Currently experiencing some serious writer's block on this story

The Girl Who Stayed

Peter's Treasure

I forgot how Big Ben looked against the starry night sky. I hover above the sidewalks by the clock of the landmark, taking in the sight that I once saw weekly with my family. This is the first time in many years that I have even been to my old home. I had almost forgotten the smells and splendor that is London. I can see below, that despite how familiar this may feel, many things have changed since I was last here. The young one walk about in packs, in short tight clothes, talking into strange objects in loud voices. I guess that it’s a new age technology, it reminds me of the telephone we had in the parlor of my childhood home. Being here made me feel as if I aged, like somehow this air makes me feel old. The feeling saddens me. I leave Big Ben behind and head to the home that used to be mine. I can see right away that it was changed. Though I am not surprised, I didn’t expect that old house to be around beyond my family. It does make me sad to see that nothing is the same as when I left. Nothing will ever be the same again. I zoom into the open window, Big Ben chimes, and I know that it is midnight. Peter might be sleeping, I should take my leave.

I look around the room that was once mine. In it was a single sleigh bed with plain navy blue sheets. The walls lacked a personal touch, no posters or pictures were anywhere to be seen. There was a small trunk at the foot of the bed, I fly in and open it. It was filled to the brim with books, many of them written by Peter. I touched the spine of the largest one entitled ‘Adventures in Neverland’, I opened the first page and a picture fell out. It was Wendy as a very young girl, she was pouting with two pigtails in her hair. This was the first Darling girl to truly be with Peter. She is the girl who fell in love with him, who stayed in love with him and taught her girls to love him too. That’s how I ended up a Pan, I wonder if they ever dreamed that that would happen.

“Maggie?” I turn around surprised to see Peter at the door, Tuck zoomed into his face. “Tuck?!?” He was laughing now, and that laugh held in it all the youthfulness that had escaped his physical body. “I am so happy that you came. You must have heard my call.”

I nod numbly.

“So they mermaids remain loyal to the Pan? Well that is good to know.” He nods matter of factually.

“Well, sort of.” I say once I find my voice again, “They blame me for your absence, so the males are the ones who assist me most. The maids send their love to you, they wish you to return.” I laugh bit, “though we all know that you will not. Why did you ask me here, old friend?”

“It has been thirty years since I have left Neverland, and I wanted to see an old friend before I die.”

“Die?!? That can’t be Peter, you are only about 45 years of age at most.” I give him my best smile.

“Yes, 45 on the outside, but I have lived many centuries on Neverland. They are now taking their toll on me. Please, tell me of your new adventures.” He sits on the floor before the trunk.

So I closed the trunk and sat on the lid, telling Peter of Alice, the sharks of Bird Island and other new dangers that have come when he left. I told him they all challenged me for control of the land, thinking that I would be weak without Peter. I told him of my many battles to keep Neverland as mine. His face was all a glow, a youthful joy taking place of the weary man that was before me earlier. The door opened when I was in the middle of speaking when Alice lost her eye. A tall young man with the hair blacker then the darkest night stood in the doorway. His green eyes an exact mirror of Peter’s when he was younger. I gasp and Peter turns his head to see who it is. He smiles and his joy intensifies.

‘Maggie, meet my adopted son, Chris.”