Status: Currently experiencing some serious writer's block on this story

The Girl Who Stayed

You can Fly

I had so many questions for Peter, like why did they adopt? Could my some number of times removed granddaughter, nit have children? Did they adopt others besides him? Is this his room? If so, then why does it seem as if it’s never been lived in? Maybe they adopted him recently, but why would they do that so much later in their years? Does that mean they had other children but decided to adopt him now because they hated the empty nest? Should I even ask Peter any of this? I mean is it even my business to know? Is this why he called me here, to meet Chris? I must admit the curiosity was getting hard for me to contain. I started floating above trunk that I was once sitting on, the boy, Chris widened his eyes.

“So you’re crazy stories are true?” He faced Peter, mouth hanging slightly open.

Peter gave him a sad smile, “That’s what I was telling you when we met last month." One question answered. "You told me that you wanted adventure, so I adopted you and called Maggie show you to Neverland." Another answered, "I would take you myself but only a Pan can take you and I believe Maggie has made Neverland her own now. That means its location has changed and it will no longer reveal itself to me because I am,” he sighs, a small and brief sigh, “a grown up.” He looks up at me, “Will take him Maggie? For me? For our friendship? Just so he can experience how wonderful a place that it is.”

I nod and clear my throat, “Yes, Peter, of course I will bring him with me. If he truly wants to come that is." I face Chris, "Uh, Chris is it? I am Payton, Payton Pan.” I give Peter a crocked grin when I looked back at him, “I changed the name when you left. I thought it flowed more nicely then Maggie Pan." I turned my attention back to Chris, "If you are coming to Neverland, I will have to teach you to fly.”

I peered over at Tuck and he is at my side at once, turns, purposefully, his back on the boy. I shake my head and laugh a little, such a jealous pixie. I nod for him to give Chris some of his dust and he shakes his head stubbornly at me. I cross my arms and glare hard at him, hoping that that would be enough. He just zooms off somewhere to hide, showing that it clearly was not.

“Tink was a way better companion then you are.” I know that my cruel words will coax him into action.

He flies back into the open and starts hitting Chris on the nose. The motion caused his dust to fall all over Chris, having the desired effect. Of course he only it did it to prove that he was better then Tink but it was mostly just because Tuck wanted to hit Chris. I fly over and pluck him off of Chris by his wings, shaking him out over Chris' head and laughing as Tuck covered his mouth with his hands. One cruelty deserves another, something else that I am aware is a child’s logic. Something, that at this point in my life I should have left behind long ago. Yet here I am, a child in the body of a teenager, with an aged mind of someone who has lived far longer then she should have.

Tuck rightened himself and glare at me once more before zooming over to Peter and covering him in dust. Peter started to fly right away; his happiness must be on the surface now. I wonder what his happy thought are. I turn towards Chris and give him a big hopeful smile.

“All you have to do now, is think happy thoughts.” He stared at me blankly. “Any thought that makes you happy at all will work.”

“What do you use?” He bit his lower lip as he asked.

“Ah, well, I think about the lost children, who are the most fun. I think of pirates and the merfolks and everyone who Neverland has given me. All adventures I have and can always have, forever.” I crossed my legs and hovered in front of him.

“What about your family? Everyone you left behind when you made your choice, doesn't that weigh you down?” He shifted weight between his feet.

I ignore the threat of those thoughts; instead I focus on the family who wait for me in the tree home. The girls and boys who call me mother and play games with me. Oh, the adventures we enjoy.

“What makes you happy Chris?” I reach my hand towards him, asking him to join me in flight with the gesture.

“I guess the thought of freedom, fun and never ending youth.” His feet came off the ground.

“Come away with me.” I pull him further off the ground, “I can give you all of that and more.”

His eyes lit up for the first time this visit and he nodded excitedly. I am bringing someone to Neverland.