Status: Currently experiencing some serious writer's block on this story

The Girl Who Stayed

Play Time

I grabbed the branch of the tree and swung my body around three times before I landed feet first on the ground. I laughed the whole way down in pure delight. Chris was hidden with the children; and I do love a good game of hide and seek. I could hear the giggles of the younger children but of course I pretend not to hear them, I would never ruin the fun that way. So instead I look in wrong places and circle the island. That gives me plenty of time to think.

It has been three months since Chris came, I only know because of each tally make on the tree after each day he is here. I can see why Peter never wanted anyone to leave; it has been so much more since Chris has come. Everything feels...more, when he is here.

There is finally someone who can run as fast as me, keep up with me in conversation, and help me care for the children. There is finally someone to help me gather the all the pirates and give them a good kicking. He is very good looking as well, which I wish I didn't notice. But how could I not? If I would have stayed home and grown old I would have had a husband by now, probably grandchildren too. Or I would be... Anyway I had already begun to notice boys when I left, so how could I not notice him? I know he looks at me too. I can see in his eyes that he that he thinks I am cute. At least that is what I think that look means.

I can see him now, looking at me from the tree in which he sat, a smile creeping on his face. My heart leapt painfully, oh Peter, how did you deal with such feelings? I pushed aside such thoughts and leapt onto the branch where he was. I laughed as I pushed him down; he flew right away, high above the trees. His laughter a way of him letting the children know that he has been caught.

“You can’t catch me Maggie.” I roll my eyes at the use of my old name, which I had almost forgotten until I had returned home. “Faster!” He tries to coax me, and it works. “You are such a slowpoke, you will never catch me.”

I loved hearing the happiness in his voice, when he came here he had so little of it. He was afraid, afraid to love the children, afraid to laugh and have fun. Now he feels so free here, he can fly without much thought, crow with the boys. He makes the best of games up to play. His stories are almost as good as Wendy’s one were. He felt like being home always. He was the best of both worlds. He could remember things about the mainland, he was the only one besides me who did. Most of the children come her so young that they never recall anything about their lives before.

Alice of course hated that he was here. In fact she hated him more than she could hate anyone or anything. She said he reminds her too much of Peter, the boy who in the end took her father away all those years ago. It’s not Peter’s fault Hook obsessed, in fact Hook didn't even know she existed. That’s the downside of living here; you forget everything else, everyone else. Neverland becomes the only place that matters. Then again, why would you want anywhere else when you can have it all here? I speed up and catch Chris' leg.

"Come on, let's find the children." Then we fly away.