The Water Is Rusted, The Air Is Unclean

Dead & Buried

May 24th 1952

He woke from his sleep covered in sweat, the nightmare that he had been experiencing having shocked him awake - yet still, he could not settle. Something was very, very wrong. He could sense it, and the overwhelming feeling was enough to pull him from his bed and out in to the dark hallway of his home. His love had been asleep in the spare room last time he checked, due to an argument that they had. Their lifestyle wasn’t exactly accepted in the age they lived in, and so their entire relationship had to be concealed in order to ensure their safety. He had tried to tell his love that everything would be better one day and they would be able to walk down the street hand in hand, but there was no use trying to convince the other, who was certain they would be fine if they were just honest with their family and friends.

He crept down the hallway until he was standing outside the door of the spare bedroom, where he cocked an eyebrow in confusion. His love would never leave the door ajar like it was. Suddenly the bad feeling he had been experiencing sunk down deeper, and curiosity got the better of him as he pushed the door open wider and wandered in to the room. A flick of a light switch later revealed a sight that made him sick to his stomach. A sight he would never have imagined, and certainly never wanted to see ever again… but it was too late, as the image would stay with him for the rest of his life.

It soon became apparent that wouldn’t be for very long. He had been so transfixed with the sight of his love lying still on the bed, covered in blood from the multiple stab wounds that he hadn't noticed the three gentlemen that had been sitting on the other side of the room watching him. They had been waiting for him to come, and so immediately he fell to his knees and pleaded.

Six stab wounds later, he could feel his life slipping from his body. The last thing he saw was the strongest of the gentlemen above him, a gun cocked towards him. Then black. So much black.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, new vampire fic! I left names out in this little prologue to add suspense - who do you think they are? ;)