The Water Is Rusted, The Air Is Unclean

A Tale Of Outer Suburbia

Present Day - Vic’s POV

I didn’t actually expect Tony to faint in front of me when I revealed my true identity, but I suppose I should’ve prepared for it as dragging him, practically dead weight, towards my car must’ve looked more than a little sketchy to any passers-by. Fortunately it was late, as nobody actually did anything to stop me. Wow, humans really care about each other…

I had been driving for maybe twenty minutes and was only a mile or so away from the wood when I heard him stirring in the back of the car, and then from the rear-view mirror I saw him shoot up in shock. I pulled over for a moment to avoid any dangerous situations and turned around, ready to answer all questions he was likely to shoot at me.

“Who are you? Where am I? Are you kidnapping me?!” Tony demanded… well, I assumed he wanted to, but his voice was quiet probably out of fright. I had to chuckle at that last question which earned me a glare, but then I cleared my throat as he did deserve to know what was going on.

“I told you already. My name is Vic Fuentes. I’m the leader of the Fuentes coven. We’re vegetarian vampires, so I’m not going to kill you… you probably think I’m crazy but how do you think I fought off those guys who tried to hurt you? They were from the Towson coven. They’re residing just outside the city at the moment because… well, a war is brewing,” I explained, letting out a deep breath after as I had talked so much. Tony’s eyes went wide and he backed up as much as he could considering he was in the back of a car. “I’m not going to hurt you,” I ensured.

“What do you want with me? What did they want with me?” Tony asked, his voice becoming even smaller which made me sympathise with him. He clearly didn’t want to be involved in this - who would - but sadly it was completely against his will.

“Your father… he passed away last year, didn’t he? I only know that because… well, he was part of our coven. He didn’t live in the safe house, obviously, because he chose to get married and have a child. You. How do you think I knew your name? You see, we love humans, and your father was one of many humans who aided us in the fight against those who drink human blood - otherwise known as cold, brutal killers. Our coven is now dwindling though… there’s no humans, and only four of us vampires left. We need help, and you’re the one who can help us.” I smiled at Tony once I had finished speaking but he still had a confused look on his face.

“I can’t help you… I’m a college student! I’m weak!” he exclaimed, which just made me shake my head, the smile still on my face as he could not be more wrong.

“No, Tony. You have hunter’s blood. Your father wanted you to grow up and help us, that’s why he left the Calavera Catrina pendant to you in his will. It’s for protection… the idea was for you to wear it at all times because the likes of Towson would always be tracking you, duh.” It was infuriating me slightly knowing that Tony couldn’t get something that sounded so simple to me, so I just shrugged and turned back towards the wheel. It was time to get back to the safe house.

***

Present Day - Tony’s POV

Everything that Vic had said was way too much to handle so I stayed quiet for the remainder of the journey. My expression was blank, that was until we entered the wood and I became confused again. Should I really believe this guy? Or was he going to kill me in the middle of the wood and dump my body? I guess it was too late now.

Much to my relief we soon arrived at a large house that looked like it had come straight out of the 1930s - however, instead of pale colours that would be expected of this kind of building, everything was dark. Reds, purples and blacks. I scoffed, it was stereotypical for a “vampire” to live in this kind of house.

“Come on, Tony. It’s time to meet the others!” Vic announced excitedly. That definitely wasn’t in character for the kind of vampires I saw in movies and read about in books, but I suppose if he was being nice to me I couldn’t complain.

I followed Vic in to the house and was immediately greeted by a energetic being who practically knocked me down when he crushed me in a hug. Vampires certainly were strong because I couldn’t breathe until Vic whispered in to the being’s ear and he immediately let go.

“Sorry…” he muttered, blushing a little, “I’m Jaime, by the way! It’s so nice to meet you finally, Tony!” I had thought Vic had been way too nice and happy to be a vampire, but this guy looked like he had ADHD… if that was even possible. Still, I smiled anxiously and gave him a tiny wave. There was no way I was going to say anything against these guys as I still feared for my life, even if they were incredibly nice. I was taken back when Vic slung an arm around Jaime’s shoulder and kissed his cheek, but again didn’t comment on it because who was I to judge? I was flaming myself.

The two lead me further in to the house and in to what resembled a living room. There was a roaring fire and bookcases lined every wall. Just in front of the fire was a set of couches and chairs, and one of the chairs was occupied by an incredibly pale blond.

“Tony, this is Casey. He’s the only gringo rocking around here!” Jaime announced, obviously teasing the guy who took the book he was reading and tossed it in Jaime’s direction so it bounced off his shoulder. “Ow! If I could feel pain that would probably hurt!” Everyone laughed at Jaime’s remark but I stayed quiet. I was still quite afraid of what was going on.

“Okay… so, let’s get you settled in! You’re under our protection now, especially considering Towson are actively trying to wipe you out. That’s why I brought you here, if you were still confused. We’ve been watching over you since your father died, you know,” Vic pointed out, and beckoned me out of the room and up a flight of stairs. “Your room is here, right next to mine and Jaime’s.” So, they were together.

We were just about to enter my room when there was a loud slam of a door to my left that made me jump. I looked up to see a tall figure move swiftly across the hall in to another room, and he slammed the door there as well. I turned to Vic and shot him a questioning look.

“That’s… that’s my brother. Mikey… Mike. He doesn’t talk to anyone. He never has. You’ll get used to it.” Vic frowned sadly and stuck his hand out, gesturing for me to go inside my new room. I could tell he was sad but just didn’t want to show it, but who was I to question him. Vic talked some more but I was barely paying attention as I was so tired. It couldn’t have been that important as he soon left without my response and I settled down on to what was now my bed. I suppose I didn’t have any family or real friends to care about me, so I figured I might as well stay. Once I lay down on the bed I fell in to a deep sleep.